1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panasonics - timer mode?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, May 18, 2005.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a Panasonic DMR E95 and the most annoying thing about it is that if you want to do timed recordings you have to put it into timer mode. When it's in timer mode and not yet recording you can't do non-timer recording and it no longer passes through any video - it just outputs a grey screen with a message saying that it's in timer mode.

Are the new range of Pannys the same? This aspect of the E95 is irritating enough that I would like to replace it, preferably with a new Panny.

Why is it irritating? Because I like to have my Freeview box routed through my DVD recorder so that I don't have to change inputs on the TV and the amplifier whenever I want to change between watching live TV, recorded TV or a DVD.

Even my old cheapo VCR didn't have to be put into timer mode. You just programmed it to record and it did so at the appropriate time (or would have if I ever managed to set it properly, but that's a different story).

Regards

Nelviticus

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Why not just engage the timer just a few mins before timer recording is about to start and use it normally up till then?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Yes. I agree that this is a very annoying feature - if the freeview equipped EH60D is the same I don't see how it can be marketed successfully as a PVR.

4. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The whole point of a timer on the recorder is so that I don't have to remember to record. Turning the timer on and off manually would be the same as just recording manually.

Do you know if the new range have the same problem? I haven't had a chance to play with anything newer than the 95.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    No, I have to differ with you here. The whole point of having a timer on a recorder is to be able to do un-attended recordings.........with most Vcr's and DVDr's you still have to tell it to do a timer recording by pressing a button.....such as "Timer" or engage timer mode by switching it to Standby etc. :lesson:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The current ones do (ES10, EH50, ES30V) - I am hoping that they will modify this for the Digital models that are coming (EH60D, ES20D).

7. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying that if you have the recorder set to repeat record on a weekly or daily basis that you have to leave it in a timer mode? If the timer mode doesn't allow you to record on a whim do you have to come out of timer mode, record and then remember to set it back to timer mode afterwards? I've clearly misunderstood as this would be nuts.

8. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm puzzled by this. My new EH50 (bought three weeks ago) does allow pass through in timer mode. A major improvement over my E85 (currently in for repair - DVD drive kaput). I think the manual is wrong in this respect, as it suggests that it works like the E85. My EH50 works just like a Panasonic VCR.

With the EH50 the machine is always automatically powered off when the timer button is pressed (like a VCR). You only lose the picture for about a second during this powering off. When the timer mode subsequently activates and recording starts there are no visible effects at all.

Steve

9. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And when the recorder is powered off for timed recording am I right in thinking that you can hit the record button at any time and the machine will keep itself prepared for the timed recordings without having to be powered off after the non-timed recording?

10. SteveDangerous

SteveDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Panasonic VCRs, when in timer mode you cannot record or play. You need to press "timer" to take the DVR out of timer mode, do your playing or recording, then press "timer" again to put the DVR back in timer mode.

Steve

11. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes, so someone forgets to hit timer and none of your timed recordings are made? That's a potential PITA. Now I can see Nelviticus' concerns

12. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    I have the 500 which is the same nav system as the 95.
    Like Steve D, I can not see what the problem is.
    I often set the timer for programmes a week ahead but just disengage the timer mode for manual recording, editing, viewing etc. and then re-engage it prior to turning machine off.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Yes it allows passthru - what I was talking about was having to put it into Timer mode as opposed to (for example) Sony where setting the timer means the programme will be recorded. When these machines start to be used as tuners, i.e. when the DVB versions come out, if they don't change this feature they will be useless.

14. murraypaul

murraypaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just seems bizarre.
    The machine supports playback and recording at the same time, but if I'm playing something and see that a timer recording is coming up, I've got to stop watching, put the machine into timer mode, wait for it to start recording, then start playing again? That isn't good design.
    Con someone confirm whether the Toshiba XS34 behaves in a more sensible way?

15. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It's complicated but I'll try to explain:

- If it's in timer mode and turned on, it doesn't pass through video or sound.
    - If it's in timer mode and you turn it off, video and sound are passed through (it will turn itself to a semi-on state when a timed recording is due).
    - If it's in timer mode, you can play back DVDs or hard drive recordings as long as it's turned on.
    - When it starts a timed recording, it stops passing through video & sound whether it's on or off.
    - When it's in timer mode you can't record (or edit) without taking it out of timer mode.

The problem with all this is that my Freeview box's RGB output goes to the Panny, so if I want to watch RGB-quality TV I have to watch the Panny's output. As I always have timers set it needs to be in timer mode most of the time. If I turn the timer off it's possible (likely, even) that I might forget to turn it on again, and if it doesn't record Desperate Housewives all hell will break loose with Mrs Nelviticus.

It's all so unnecessary. It's stupid that the machine can be sitting there, knowing that a timed event is coming up, yet it won't record because it's not in flippin' timer mode. What's the point of timer mode? Why not get rid of it? The only reason that I can think of for its existence is to cope with the situation where you're recording manually and a timed event is due. Which one should take priority? It would be a potential source of grief - say you manually record some rubbish and end up missing a timed recording of your favourite film because of it - but far less annoying than the inconvenience of timer mode. What does timer mode add, really, apart from the possibility that you might forget to turn it on?

I would love to have a machine that allows me to set timers then forget about them, whilst also allowing me to hit 'record' whenever something I fancied was showing. The Panny could be that machine with just a tiny firmware update.

16. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Such a machine is available.......it's called Sky+ :devil:

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Exactly. I agree with you 100%. If a timer entry has been set surely the unit could just crack on and record it without being in 'Timer' mode. It's a throwback to (elderly) VCR days and will bite Panasonic if they don't correct it on their DVB models.

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Very true - and there are Freeview equivalents as well.

19. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Reply to Nelviticus
    Seems like something wrong somewhere
    Your first comment does not apply to my machine. If in timer mode but turned on mine passes through video and sound.
    Your second comment does not apply to my machine. If in timer mode but turned off I do not get sound and video.
    Third comment - my machine same as yours.
    Fourth comment - when mine starts a timer recording it will pass through sound and video if turned on but not if off.
    Fifth comment - same as yours.
    I wonder if these contradictions are something to do with how we have connected up our machines.
    I agree with your last paragraph

20. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Yes, the Toshiba DVDR's do this as well as RGB passthrough.....another brownie point to Tosh.

It's still the case with most Vcr's even the latest models.

21. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, there is no "timer" mode on the XS34. It's a set and forget process as described above by Nelviticus.

22. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Sky+ is great but you have to admit that it's no match for the Panny at recording DVDs ;)

23. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    I have the best of both world's, Sky+ and a Toshiba DVDR. :devil:

24. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Pioneers are 'set and forget'. There is no separate Timer mode, and the machines pass through all scart pins all the time (including during standby). If an internal tuner recording starts, then pass through turns off until you re-activate it to carry on working during the analogue recording.
    Recording order of precedence is:
    Manual recording over...
    Timer recording (with or without PDS) over...
    Auto-start recording

If timer events clash, the one that starts first wins.