Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Panasonics: DVD Formats?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LucyHi, Mar 20, 2005.

1. LucyHi

LucyHi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really would like to get a Panasonic DMR-E95EBS but am not happy with the lack of DVD-RW support (for better compatibility with other players and PCs - I don't want to have to keep gobbling up DVD-R discs when I want to play discs on other machines (I won't bore you with the details of what stuff I've got around the house - suffice to say I have three young daughters.... :eek: :suicide: )).

I've noticed the following statement from the Digital-Recorder.co.uk website (http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML):

"All Panasonic DVD recorders currently support DVD-RAM and DVD-R formats. Following a mutual formats support agreement with HP, DVD-RW and DVD+R support is being added to new models as they are released. Model numbers DMR-ES10 (budget standalone DVD recorder), DMR-EH50 (budget HDD/DVDR combi) and DMR-ES30V (VHS/DVDR combi) are the first to offer this extended support."

And, from the thread "New Panasonics: 6 hours quality recording?" there's mention of a press release that I can't track down.

Does anyone with a crystal ball (or "contacts" ;) ) know if there's going to be a DMR-E95EBS equivalent coming out soon with more DVD formats or should I bite the bullet, go for it now, and regret it when Sod's law kicks in and a new model is release the moment I click the "confirm order" button!

2. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 80GB EH50 (E85 replacement) should be available in the shops by the end of March. DMR-EH60D (160GB HD) has freeview and is scheduled for release in September. The Non-Hard drive model ES10 is already available.

All new models record on DVD-RAM, DVD-RW (video mode), DVD-R & DVD+R. They also playback DVD-RW (VR mode) & DVD+RW.
    You can record 4 hours at full DVD quality (LP mode) on a single disc.
    Quick start recording starts in just 1 second from power on.

:thumbsup:

3. scooter1975

scooter1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Lucy, just to let you know that I have been in the same dilemma as you for the last few months. I decided to hang off buying an E85, as I knew that the new Panasonic models were getting brought in with -RW compatibilty.
    I am waiting on the E50 being released. It has a 80Gb hard drive and is the replacement for the E85. It has some extra little features as well.
    I was in seeing the guy in the local Panasonic shop yesterday, and he is expecting them in, in the next couple of weeks. There is also going to be another model released in September which will have a Freeview tuner built into it.
    Hope this Helps... :)