New panasonics- ALL models --GREEN FLASHES WITH XBOX360

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. As someone who returned a pioneer 4270xd because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyllx3VaI8
I`m wanting all owners of new pana plasmas to let me know how their new screens are with the xbox360. Panning left and right and rolling around on Gears of war should be enough to show any problems. I`m waiting on the new 50" models, and maybe the 1080p pz700, but would not buy one if this was a common problem across the board. It seems wierd if some do it, and some do not. Would that be a fault ? Or is it more of a nuance of the technology and a bit of pot luck ? Any feedback and replies will be eagerly read and appreciated.
By the way, the samsung ps42Q7hd was great for non green flash, but was poor with sd material, (it was returned too!), so non greenflashing 360 HD loveliness IS possible !

Some site called hdtvtech or similar have a long write up on this (that explains it well and also links to my vid above ... which, watching back now, I realise I made way too long :) )

Anyway, they say that the problem fades over time. I have to say I haven't seen any other games that display the problem anywhere near as noticeably as Gears of War.

I'm pretty sure they all do it.

it does do it, it just depends how sensitive your eyes are, it WILL fade over time as well when you run the plasma in...........persoanlly speaking i will take the odd green tinge over ghosting, c@ap blacks etc etc from an LCD!! :rotfl:

It`s your vid mate ? Oh, sorry, hope you don`t mind. Isn`t the web wonderful ? When we find something wrong with anything, we can now not only tell the world, but show them too ! I still don`t know what to do. I see the pana px70ped for 1549 at play.com, but want to see how much the pz700 is going to be, then there`s pio 8 gens not too far away too ! I use my 360 a fair bit, and watch a fair ammount of tv/dvd, and just want a decent screen without too many problems. Is it too much to ask ?

Gamertag- Ozzzy189 if anyone wants an uncouth yorkshireman as a mate !

it does do it, it just depends how sensitive your eyes are, it WILL fade over time as well when you run the plasma in...........persoanlly speaking i will take the odd green tinge over ghosting, c@ap blacks etc etc from an LCD!! :rotfl:

And more importantly, terrible movement.

Is this a phosphor lag or the infamous GREEN TINGE/FRINGE effect ?
I think you can run your Panny for about 1500 hrs and check for the effect.

Gamertag- Ozzzy189 if anyone wants an uncouth yorkshireman as a mate !

I do! :D

My GT is: L3wisD

Back on topic, I hope the green tinges aren't too apparent, as I plan on doing more gaming on the set than anything else :)

"Is this a phosphor lag or the infamous GREEN TINGE/FRINGE effect ?
I think you can run your Panny for about 1500 hrs and check for the effect."

what is the difference, i thought they were the same thing!!!???

Probably doesn't help you but I didn't get any green flashes with either of my Fujitsu plasmas. So if you want to trade in your LCD the Fujitsu is a good but pricey plasma for gaming.

Probably doesn't help you but I didn't get any green flashes with either of my Fujitsu plasmas. So if you want to trade in your LCD the Fujitsu is a good but pricey plasma for gaming.

I have no screen at the moment, i`m considering fujis and pios and panas, but i want a 50, and the fuji is too pricey.

"Is this a phosphor lag or the infamous GREEN TINGE/FRINGE effect ?
I think you can run your Panny for about 1500 hrs and check for the effect."

what is the difference, i thought they were the same thing!!!???

it is!!!

True I had 3 pannys px60 that got sent back for various reasons however not one of them showed this effect on gears of war and I did look for it :)

Posted this in the 42PX70 owners thread:

As for the green blur on the 360.
I can see absolutely none. I gave gears, GRAW2, R6:V a thorough going over. I see nothing of the sort.

My 360 is plugged in via VGA, at the PX70's native res of 1024x768.
Px70 is on cinema settings and on Warm.

So I'm happy.

And trust me, the main reason I'll be using this set is for gaming,
So if I did notice something, it'd be be a major problem for me.

I am very surprised that some people do not notice the green finging/ ghosting on this set.

I have taken a video of my set, on Gears of War.

The ccd in the camera picks it up more than the human eye, so this is worse than in real life, but the green fringing on this set (just as it was on the PX60 and other Panasonic plasmas) is bad. Anyone who says they cannot see it, perhaps their eyes are not sensitive to it- as is suggested on other posts.

In any event, this is a good TV, but NOT recommended for gaming if your eyes are susceptible to picking up the green fringing.

Decide for yourself- here is my video of the 42PX70 displaying Gears of War ( right at the start- if you have Gears start a new campaign, go for combat rather than training and see for yourself in the first room):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw_VvFcV1U

When watching TV it is not really notcieable, but was noticeable watching Pan's Labyrinth this evening- lots of high contrast primary colours moving against black.

Note - halfway through video the green ghosting turns blue on the film- odd because it was still green when I was looking at it in real time!

Are you using Component or VGA with the 360?
Have you tried the other one to see if it still occurs?
Strange how it would be very bad, then non existent, then bad again.
It never stayed constantly.
Hmmm......

Are you using Component or VGA with the 360?
Have you tried the other one to see if it still occurs?
Strange how it would be very bad, then non existent, then bad again.
It never stayed constantly.
Hmmm......

I think you are mistaking the limitations of the film, and this is made worse by the compression on You Tube.

Believe me, I have experimented with this TV for over 2 weeks now.

The Ghosting appears consistently when the high contrast light/ dark areas meet and quick movement.

It does not go away. It might look like that on the film, but it does not- I think the camera was adjusting its' exposure when it looks like it has gone. because then it goes blue! Whilst watching in real time, it is green all the time.

I have tried VGA, component and component is worse.

At all other times- e.g when playing games that will not trigger the green ghosting, the 360 picture is pretty good.

People are going to have to face it, this TV has a problem with green ghosting.

Seems like there's going to be a few 360 GOW demos being done in-store before purchase is made then.
Might be worth your posting the settings you're at, and others to replicate those settings and then seeing if the same thing happens on theirs or the stores' set.
This way we'll know whether it's endemic of the TV or a select few rogue units floating about.

Seems like there's going to be a few 360 GOW demos being done in-store before purchase is made then.
Might be worth your posting the settings you're at, and others to replicate those settings and then seeing of the same thing happens on theirs or the stores' set.
This way we'll know whether it's endemic of the TV or a select few rogue units floating about.

Good idea- I think some proper tests are needed, although we might still have some differing opinions because apparently some people's eyes are less susceptible to seeing it.

May I suggest that all tests are done on this same room in GOW, as it is right at the start, just after you select combat or training ( select combat) and it is the first place that adequately demonstrates this problem.

I had my TV on normal, with Normal colour, contrast about two thirds up, shaprness about two thirds up and all other settings near the middle, with no colour management or noise reduction.

I will try it with cinema setting on the recommeded settings for viewing (as I understand it out of the box with brightness down two notches) and try to post another vid tomorrow, although the vids do make it look worse than it is.

jesus christ man that video is horrific, i must be lucky man as i am just not havin these issues!!

I had my TV on normal, with Normal colour, contrast about two thirds up, shaprness about two thirds up and all other settings near the middle, with no colour management or noise reduction.

I will try it with cinema setting on the recommeded settings for viewing (as I understand it out of the box with brightness down two notches) and try to post another vid tomorrow, although the vids do make it look worse than it is.

You'd need to be more specific about how many clicks on the remote each setting is on the plus or minus side of default.
About 1/2, 2/3 doesn't really help replicate the settings - so reset to default, and get counting! :D
Mind you, with only 150 hours clocked up, it does sound like you've got the settings higher than recommended for break-in phase. But then you did say you played with the settings, and no differences were noted, didn't you?

There was a thread about this before. My PX600 has this, but very hard to spot. Like when you play Tomb Raider up in the mountains, when you stay still and rotate 360 degrees, you can see the green "thing".

I am talking about the right thing, I didn't watch the video.

Here is the thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326067&highlight=green

This is a real shame, but my pioneer did it too. What the hell do i do now ? The samsungs don`t seem to do it, but are poor with sd, the fujis don`t seem to, but are too dear-Fuji owners ? And even the new panasonics suffer. This is getting annoying as there aren`t many sets to chose from. I suppose the pz700 will do it too. I mean, if you went to a shop and tried your xbox on a set, you`re not guaranteed to be able to say `i want that one` are you ? Is it going to be the `buy then send back` scenario ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom