New panasonics- ALL models --GREEN FLASHES WITH XBOX360

This is a real shame, but my pioneer did it too. What the hell do i do now ? The samsungs don`t seem to do it, but are poor with sd, the fujis don`t seem to, but are too dear-Fuji owners ? And even the new panasonics suffer. This is getting annoying as there aren`t many sets to chose from. I suppose the pz700 will do it too. I mean, if you went to a shop and tried your xbox on a set, you`re not guaranteed to be able to say `i want that one` are you ? Is it going to be the `buy then send back` scenario ?

Samsungs new Q9 panel is out now and only around a grand. Looks tops to be honest and I wish more people would see beyond the names past. Its all well and good comparing it with the Pioneer (£800 dearer) but I've yet to see a side by side comparison between the older Q7 and the 507 that justifies a difference of half that amount. The Q9 looks even better and I'm certainly going to audition one before dropping money on the PX70 as I'd previously decided.

This is a real shame, but my pioneer did it too. What the hell do i do now ? The samsungs don`t seem to do it, but are poor with sd, the fujis don`t seem to, but are too dear-Fuji owners ? And even the new panasonics suffer. This is getting annoying as there aren`t many sets to chose from. I suppose the pz700 will do it too. I mean, if you went to a shop and tried your xbox on a set, you`re not guaranteed to be able to say `i want that one` are you ? Is it going to be the `buy then send back` scenario ?

I was all set to buy a 37inch PX70 to use for watching TV, DVDs, Blu-ray and for a couple of hours of gaming a day, but reading about the green fringe thing again is somewhat worrying.

However I understand its only apparent on games with high contrast areas and very rapid panning, not all games.

Is the green fringe effect as annoying as motion blur on LCD's? As motion blur is noticeable to me on everything I watch, fast games and fast sports are really bad during panning, looks out of focus.

For a budget of £800, theres no other decent 37 inch panels LCD or plasma around at the moment :confused:

From other posts, its seems that this is all down to the speed of response of the green phosphors in the plasma. This seems to be down to the laws of physics of these gases with this type of technology.

It was hinted that this actually improves overtime - is this true? It maybe that the issue will get better over time, for similar reasons that mean the plasma gets more resistant to image retention over time.

it is scientific fact that it will calm down as the phosphur ages, there is a good article at www.hdtvtest.co.uk

i guess some people are luckier than others, myself being very lucky. dont get me wrong its there, but very very mildly. have noticed with high contrast films, the more you dart your eyes round the picture the more pronounced it becomes. which i guess makes sense as it is linked to movement!

I was all set to buy a 37inch PX70 to use for watching TV, DVDs, Blu-ray and for a couple of hours of gaming a day, but reading about the green fringe thing again is somewhat worrying.

However I understand its only apparent on games with high contrast areas and very rapid panning, not all games.

Is the green fringe effect as annoying as motion blur on LCD's? As motion blur is noticeable to me on everything I watch, fast games and fast sports are really bad during panning, looks out of focus.

For a budget of £800, theres no other decent 37 inch panels LCD or plasma around at the moment :confused:

Have a 40 inch Samsung LCD and that is stunning with Xbox- there is no motion blur at all- I think LCD's are getting pretty good at countering this now.
This Panny is crap compared to the LCD for gaming.
However, it is better for watching TV/ DVD.

Here is a video of my px60 running the PS3 with Resistance fall of man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3p2myiT08

Unfortunately I am using the video setting on my digital camera so the blurring and falling out of focus is due to the camera's inability to deal with motion, not the tv's. (Makes the whole exercise a little pointless but there you go...)

Viewed in person there is no blurring/ghosting/green tinge whatsoever.

I haven't got a 360 so I can't comment on what it's like but with a ps3 the picture quality is excellent.

So that would be via hdmi then ? someone said it wasn`t as bad with vga compared to component, so could the type of connection used also be a factor ? I read the feature via the link to the hdtv site, interesting, but it still doesn`t answer why some sets do this and others don`t, does it ?

So that would be via hdmi then ? someone said it wasn`t as bad with vga compared to component, so could the type of connection used also be a factor ? I read the feature via the link to the hdtv site, interesting, but it still doesn`t answer why some sets do this and others don`t, does it ?

I said not as bad with VGA- not because of connection, but because contrast not as extreme on VGA as component.

Update- got out two engineers from my local Pansonic store today.

They do not yet have this model in stock, so could not comment on whether my TV is like others.

However, they both agreed that the picture is unnacceptable on Xbox 360. They are putting a report in logging a fault.

I am now waiting on Mutiregionmagic/ Panasonic to sort this and swap out my set ( the guy who came out said it was not something that could be repaired ).

If Pansonic fail to swap it out after their own people have said it is not right, I will be wanting to know why.

If this problem is endemic in all sets I will let you know.

Here is a video of my px60 running the PS3 with Resistance fall of man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3p2myiT08

Unfortunately I am using the video setting on my digital camera so the blurring and falling out of focus is due to the camera's inability to deal with motion, not the tv's. (Makes the whole exercise a little pointless but there you go...)

Viewed in person there is no blurring/ghosting/green tinge whatsoever.

I haven't got a 360 so I can't comment on what it's like but with a ps3 the picture quality is excellent.

There is a touch of it ( when you turn around the other way) but this is the type of scene that would show up a great deal of green ghosting on my set. Having seen this, this is compounding my suspicions that some of these sets are dodgy- mine being one. I will update you all when I hear from Panasonic.

Have a 40 inch Samsung LCD and that is stunning with Xbox- there is no motion blur at all- I think LCD's are getting pretty good at countering this now.
This Panny is crap compared to the LCD for gaming.
However, it is better for watching TV/ DVD.

ive tried every lcd there is before looking at plasmas and to my eyes all had motion blur, not one passed my pro evo 6 test. im going to go for a px70 next week, if green tinge is bad i'll return under 7day DSR'S

it is scientific fact that it will calm down as the phosphur ages, there is a good article at www.hdtvtest.co.uk

i guess some people are luckier than others, myself being very lucky. dont get me wrong its there, but very very mildly. have noticed with high contrast films, the more you dart your eyes round the picture the more pronounced it becomes. which i guess makes sense as it is linked to movement!

I agree but it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, as it's down to the movement of the picture (a white area changing instantly to black), not the movement of your eyes from one area to another.

Maybe it's a spinoff of "plasma flicker".

To answer earlier questions, it isn't nearly as bad as in our videos when viewed in real life (but it is noticeable) and doesn't affect my enjoyment of games or Sin City in the slighest.

Good luck wakey. we shouldn`t let these companies fob us off in any way, i`m sure you`ll get sorted and keep us updated in this thread. Cheers mate.

yeah good luck wakey, looking at the various responses on here seems majority have been lucky, and 2 very unlucky i.e. wakey and killswicth

hope you both get sorted, my mate came round yesterday about 6, the ambient light in room was just right for the best picture on the screen, she was watching anna and the king or something on SD - she just rang me up this morning to ask model of the plasma, she is buying one, she didnt realise they were only a grand these days for such quality ones, a lot of people dont i think!

i could see she was hypnotised by the beauty of the picture it was chucking out as had to drag her to cinema! went to see sunshine, which by the way is absolutely amazing, i would recommend anyone to get to the cinema to see it..............

"Looks like an Xbox issue"- not sure why you say that when Snatch displays it?

I can't see Panasonic designing a Plasma that does what the Snatch DVD Utube vid shows, that very bad indeed if that's true.
There's no way Panasonic would design a Plasma that displays a DVD with big green trials...
I hope not, because its going straight back to JL the same day !:devil:

My old Panny series 4 Plasma is 100% perfect, can't see Panasonic going backwards in screen performance with the new models.

Anyway it's easy to test with my copy of Snatch on DVD.

Regards,

Bluebear.

I've just had a thought regarding the people who are getting green flashes on Gears, when some others aren't.

In the options in Gears, you go to the Audio/Visual sub menu and you can change the colour options.

You can have either
  • Soft
  • Lucid
  • Vibrant

I've always had Gears set on Vibrant, well before I bought a Plasma.
Vibrant isn't as desaturated and washed out, much more colourful.
Perhaps that's why I'm not getting the flashes when playing gears.

I can't test it at the moment as my PX70 is boxed up whilst I'm decorating.

Definitely worth testing though chaps?

From other posts, its seems that this is all down to the speed of response of the green phosphors in the plasma. This seems to be down to the laws of physics of these gases with this type of technology.

It was hinted that this actually improves overtime - is this true? It maybe that the issue will get better over time, for similar reasons that mean the plasma gets more resistant to image retention over time.

I suffered with the green tinge terribly when I got my 37" PX60 5 months ago. Now Its 90-95% gone.

That`s very interesting, i maybe would still have my pioneer if i`d known that, still, at least i have time to save now, i just hate not having a decent tv. weird that all screens don`t seem to suffer though.

I've just had a thought regarding the people who are getting green flashes on Gears, when some others aren't.

In the options in Gears, you go to the Audio/Visual sub menu and you can change the colour options.

You can have either
  • Soft
  • Lucid
  • Vibrant

I've always had Gears set on Vibrant, well before I bought a Plasma.
Vibrant isn't as desaturated and washed out, much more colourful.
Perhaps that's why I'm not getting the flashes when playing gears.

I can't test it at the moment as my PX70 is boxed up whilst I'm decorating.

Definitely worth testing though chaps?

Please keep in mind that some of us can't see the green tinge, not because it's not on their plasma but because their eyes (brain) can't see it... This issue has been discussed many times in these threads here...

my px70 has had 400 hours, and the green thing is visibly reducing already.......................not that i can see it anyway without looking for it! there is NEVER a trail on mine, you can just see a ting if you stare at edges...........

my px70 has had 400 hours, and the green thing is visibly reducing already.......................not that i can see it anyway without looking for it! there is NEVER a trail on mine, you can just see a ting if you stare at edges...........

The samsung i had sounds like it was like your pana, the pio was like the video.

It's quite funny, actually, but if you watch episodes of the latest series of 24 - whenever they feature large-screen video monitors at CTU, White House, etc. you can see the infamous green tinge effect as the camera pans around the room - no matter where you go, you can't escape the dreaded plasma green tinge :devil:

Anybody else found any problems with the PX70 and 360?

Ta

Anybody else found any problems with the PX70 and 360?

Ta

I have the green tinge problem on any first / third person game where there is bright white next to dark areas.

I find that there is a bad double image when panning - especially on Crackdown.

Start the game or demo at the Agency Keep and stand in front of the door that the agency cars are stored in. There is a design on the door in cyan that looks like this:

\ /
( )
/ \

When you pan the camera left and right accross it, it looks like this:

\\ //
(( ))
// \\

Once you stop panning it's a single image again. I've noticed this problem on Crackdown, GRAW 2 and Battlefield 2. It's most noticable in Crackdown due to the very bright colours. I used to have a 32" LCD which was blurry when panning. This is more noticable!

It's this image doubling that I think exagerates the green tinge on the 360.

Tried component and VGA and it makes no difference.

My Wii doesn't seem to do the image doubling, although the only game I have where you can pan the camera is Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Also tried Crackdown on my mate's Pio 427XD and the image doubling is exactly the same. The green tinge was also present although not as bad.

I have also seen the green tinge when watching Sin City (very noticably), 24, CSI on Sky. Watched the Prestige on DVD the other night and was expecting to see green tinges as it's quite a dark film but didn't notice it once.

Apart from the odd green tinge, watching DVDs and Sky is excellent. Bit disappointed in the fact that the 360 seems worse than my old LCD.

I have the green tinge problem on any first / third person game where there is bright white next to dark areas.

I find that there is a bad double image when panning - especially on Crackdown.

Start the game or demo at the Agency Keep and stand in front of the door that the agency cars are stored in. There is a design on the door in cyan that looks like this:

\ /
( )
/ \

When you pan the camera left and right accross it, it looks like this:

\\ //
(( ))
// \\

Once you stop panning it's a single image again. I've noticed this problem on Crackdown, GRAW 2 and Battlefield 2. It's most noticable in Crackdown due to the very bright colours. I used to have a 32" LCD which was blurry when panning. This is more noticable!

It's this image doubling that I think exagerates the green tinge on the 360.

Tried component and VGA and it makes no difference.

My Wii doesn't seem to do the image doubling, although the only game I have where you can pan the camera is Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Also tried Crackdown on my mate's Pio 427XD and the image doubling is exactly the same. The green tinge was also present although not as bad.

I have also seen the green tinge when watching Sin City (very noticably), 24, CSI on Sky. Watched the Prestige on DVD the other night and was expecting to see green tinges as it's quite a dark film but didn't notice it once.

Apart from the odd green tinge, watching DVDs and Sky is excellent. Bit disappointed in the fact that the 360 seems worse than my old LCD.

Your reports seem to mirror mine. The Panasonic dealer close to me said he wouldn't be happy with it when using Xbox. It is much worse than my Samsung LCD (which was superb). I have asked for a replacement. I am hoping new one will not be as bad, but I fear it will. It is difficult- because the TV is otherwise superb picture wise. If it is as bad, I will move my 360 onto my 40 inch LCD in the conservatory...

makes me wonder if i should just buy a fujitsu ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom