1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW PANASONIC!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Piglet, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this has been partially covered in another post but i have just been to a pre screen demo of the 32pb50. it is panasonics new answer to the designer television market. there is also a nicam only version without the extra speakers which is a better alternative as it allows the inclusion od separates and keeps the price down. the 28pb50/32pb50 is astonashing, it was shown side by side with the sony designer tv (32fq75) and the difference was remarkable. there was absolutly NO image lag or smearing with side scrolling objects and text. test was fast moving from left to right, while the sony suffered, the panasonic displayed it perfectly. region 1 dvd's were playing constantly and it has a mode similar to sony's DRC, which fills in the missing lines. there was even MORE detail on offer compared to the sony. the sony's is considered the best picture on the market at the moment and certainly is a superb set, but the new panasonic range shames it, and get this...at a lower price! even the 28PB50 with its external speakers and dolby decoding is only £1200, and the nicam version will be even less. perhaps as low as £1000. panasonic official dealers will be getting the tv's in first and ive already ordered mine, which will be getting in in a week or so, but i think the 28" wont be out for 2 weeks. there seemed to be no trade off for the digital motion enhancements, dteail was kept strong and colours were vivid. finally it looks like theres a 100hz set at not too big a price with no problems, and gorgeous looks. if anyone else has witnessed it then please share your thoughts.

2. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i made a little mistake in that first post. the nicam version of this series is actually the 28PL10 not the 28PL50, they all use the same picture tube but they just have different sound capabilities. but expect them to retail at £200 less that the sonys. ive also heard that they may be up for tv of the year, and HCC was at the opening at bragg, as well so expect an update in a couple of weeks. *drools*

3. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a 36" version and what's the cost?
    Also I hope this uses a diferent chassis to the poor PG series?
    What's the cabinet like is it narrow like the previous Pany's

4. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The cabinet is of an open design. If you go to www.panasonic.nl (Hollands site) and navigate to the TVs you will see the TV with the stand. Looks very nice. And there is a 36" version called the TX36PB50.

Neil

5. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah there are 36" versions. they have a blue line down each side and the 28 " version is pure silver, looking very much like philips sets actually. they have different codes depending on wether they are nicam only or dolby with speakers. but the one im getting is the

TX28PL10

6. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So similar looking to a Phillips set it's uncanny! On first impressions the Phillips look a bit better than this but I suppose you need to see them both in the flesh to compare properly.
    I read they were based on the PG series chassis. I would be very wary about moire patterning on NTSC images as Panasonic don't know what causes this so you can't expect them to have fixed it! I own a 36PG50 and i'd say if you want the look of this set you're possibly better off looking at the Phillips range.

7. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just you wait for the reviews to come out...

8. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So when are the reviews of the new series designer Pannies are coming out?
    From what I have been reading its the answer to a perfect picture.

9. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I noticed on the site the words progressive scan, as is on the PG50. Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, the only way to utilise this feature with the progressive output on a capable DVD is if the TV also has component inputs, ala Toshiba. Does anybody know if it will carry component. From what I've been hearing, this TV is so good that surely if it had this it would easily be crowned the new king of CRT's!

10. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim!

The PG30/PG50 has NOT component inputs, just the traditional SCART-contacts. The TV processes the interlaced input signal to a progressiv.

This means that you can choose if the TV should display the source at 100Hz(PAL)/60Hz(NTSC) interlaced or 50Hz(PAL)/60Hz(NTSC) progressiv.

BR, Per-Anders.

11. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That is correct.

You don't really need a DVD player with progressive scan because the TV will do it for you.

Its probably not as good as the progressive scan circuitry in an expensive DVD player.

Also people say this TV is brilliant but from what I gather (even though I have the TX32PB50 on order) it is exactly the same as the PG series(I also had one of those) apart from the designer looks, so I would expect many of the picture problems to appear on the new TV.

I also think that in interlaced mode NTSC is scanned at 120HZ not 60HZ.

Forgive me if i'm wrong.

Neil

12. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a standard 100hz. the only time the DRC like mode kicks in is with region 1 dvd's, and it fills in the missing lines, far more convincingly that the sony set too. its bassicly like the sony designer set which has the best existing picture on the market today, but done so much better with no lag problems, authentic skin tones and the kind of sharpness asscociated with 50hz sets. at a lower price too.

im not sure when the reviews will be out. obviously sites wont want to print reviews before the actual mag is out in the shop so it could be a while. i called panny who said the new range will be out mid to late august. unfortunatly you can expect them to stagger the release of the different models. i have no idea which will be out first. maybe the dolby versions with speakers which i doubt very few of you would be interested in as anyone who buys a tv that good will want an external amp/speaker set up.

does anyone know if the screen tube will be pure flat? the pk's screen is 'flat' but the actualy tube underneath convexs at each side slightly. this range uses the letters: PL and PB.

13. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it isnt like the PG series at all. the PG series have problems, this does not. why create a new tv range which beats out the problems if it is only going to use old technology?

14. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of "serious" problems does the PG-series suffers from?

BR, Per-Anders.

[ 25-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

15. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil!

I think I am right about the interlaced scanning frequency for NTSC. That's why the TV preferes to use 60Hz progressiv for NTSC instead of interlaced... But when it's PAL input the TV chooses 100Hz interlaced automatically.

This is the common way for 100Hz PAL TV:s to handle NTSC signals.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong...

/Per-Anders.

[ 25-07-2001: Message edited by: PEGE ]

16. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The TX32PB50 has got DDR so as the TX32PG50. They both have dolby digital, advanced progressive scan and advanced 100hz super digital scan, sound system etc. Effectively they are very similar.

Problems with the PG series is the HUM which is partially fixed, Panasonic are still looking at a permanent fix(their words) and the shading of the tube ie if the screen is all one colour you can notice it is quite dark around the edges.

This info is on Pannys website along with release dates for the TV

:)

17. einpagu

einpagu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimmers: Thanks for your info!

I think they have solved the humming, because my PG30 is silent... :)

Best Regards, Per-Anders.

18. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the PG50's hum as they both have on-board DTS and Dolby Digital. NTSC moire is pretty bad when you notice it.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 3 PG30s before getting a refund.

I never noticed any hum, but I did notice the moire pattern when showing a NTSC picture. It made it absolutely impossible to watch R1 DVDs.

I'm very wary about the new range...

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is common in recent years for 100Hz TVs to switch to 120Hz for 60Hz sources (i.e. NTSC).

The main reason the progressive Panasonic sets auto switch to 60Hz progressive for NTSC and 100Hz interlaced for PAL is because they consider the 50Hz progressive flicker rate will be objectionable to most viewers. You can switch it to 50Hz progressive manually of course.

21. steve35

steve35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a 32PL30 coming out? Its on the dutch Panasonic site, but not on the UK one.
    Steve.

22. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Help, I'm confused!
    I thought that the feature that competes with DRC is only on the new PB range and is called DDR. Earlier in the post Rimmers mentioned that this feature is also on the PG range. If it is, I'm not impressed as the reviews I've seen on the PG50 are all pretty terible for picture, all except for the new What Hifi Sound & Vision, The No.1 Home Entertainment Magazine (Excuse the sarcasm).
    The majority of reviews I have seen of progressive scan players, like the Pioneer 737 or Tosh 900 mention that you can utilise this feature if you are lucky enough to own a device with Component inputs as this is the only way of getting Progressive scan from the player. Why is there so much hype around this feature when you don't need it if your TV does Progressive scan. Are they talking about the same thing? Does the new range of 36 inchers have Component anyway. Is the PL30 also missing progressive,DDR and all the PIP functions as well as DD/DTS, as if the sound is all they are missing, this is the one I would buy. And Finally.... My 36pf10 is 2 years old this october and is under a 5 year guarantee, is £1200 a reasonable asking price. Sorry to tax you all on the questions, but somewhere along the line I've confused myself and I'm seriously considering upgrading. Thanks in advance.

23. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I've just read on another thread "Adventures with a Panasonic TX36PF10" that you can pick these up new for around £1500, so ignore my previous post. Instead, would £1000 with a further 3 years of the guarantee still remaining be a fair asking price.

24. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "it fills in the missing lines, far more convincingly that the sony set too"

Erm, in what way is it physically possible to fill in missing lines "more convincingly" when the lines ARE filled in on the sony? If it removes all trace of the lines how can anything be more convincing?

I dont care what anyone says the only tv i woudl buy is a sony, i have seen pretty much every current tv on the market and a couple of them matched the picture of ANY sony and they certainly didnt beat any sony.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must Agree with EWOK.

The Sony has the best picture of any current consumer television,<br />the Q75 model has a superb picture,

and I,m a Toshiba owner,

but had demo, of the new 44" sony R/P<br />and it is stunning, me wants one.

26. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

27. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I received my TX32PB50 TV last Friday but only got it out of the box yesterday and I have to say I am mightily impressed.

The picture and sound are very good.

And before anyone asks about whether there is a hum or not i'll have to say that there is a slight hum but no where near as bad as the TX32PG50 which I also had for a short while.

I had a response from Panasonic about the hum on the TX32PG50 saying that a fix was available that would reduce the hum and that they were looking for a more permanent fix, so I was going to email them and ask whether this applied to the TX32PB50

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tel boy,<br />I have been a Sony 32FX65 user for about 1 month, and have not noticed these black lines that you talk about, I checked by watching the helicopter scene from the Matrix which has plenty of light scenes and tried with a white background from my DVD and didn't see them.

I will continue to keep an eye on them as the set gets older.

Cheers

JayN

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: JayN ]</p>

29. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi, down to it, Rimmers I had a (3!) 36PG50's and noticed on all of them that in a darkened room you could see off-center cross lines which were several centimetres thick. So can you see such with your PB? Also whilst, no pun, watching Near Dark in the dark the screen could be seen to have a lighter central 'block' to the two 'outer' sides of the screen, yours? I must be one of the many x pgers' that are interested in the exploits of this new model, that is, if it is really new beside the chassis and stand - strange the latter having just two shelves?<br />Anyway let us know please.

30. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5