New Panasonic V20 Dilemma

RustySpoons

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a new TV which was a Sony 46HX703 which was touted to have "plasma beating blacks" by people I spoke to in stores, I bought the TV but to my dismay it had floating blacks and some clouds on the screen from poor backlight uniformity.

I returned the set to the store and even though I demonstrated the clouds the store insisted it's in spec and as the only way I could demonstrate this fault was by pulling up a blank screen on one of the AV's and using the menu system to bring the backlight up they argued that people don't watch TV like that and it's in spec. Point blank refused a refund and tried to argue with me about how LCD TV's work, little do they know i'm an ex LG engineer who used to work in the LG factory in Newport on CRT/LCD products that were manufactured there.

However, they have agreed to swap the set for a different one, I chose the Panasonic 50V20, but the more I read on the problems that are possibly associated with this set the more it's putting me off, I'm due to have the TV delivered tomorrow but I really don't know what to do. I'll notice floating blacks and if the black level rises that will drive me mad.

I currently have a Panasonic TH-37PX70BA which although has been an excellent TV over the past 2 years, the blacks are no where near what they were when i bought it, which really annoys me and there hasn't been much in the way of discussions of MLL rise on this model.

I really need to know if the V20 is affected by any of these issues and if so what steps can I take to get a full refund as I don't feel this is acceptable in any way, at this stage I shall not mention the name and location of this store.

I'm at a loss what to think or do, it's affecting my sleep if i'm being honest.

Hi All,

I recently bought a new TV which was a Sony 46HX703 which was touted to have "plasma beating blacks" by people I spoke to in stores, I bought the TV but to my dismay it had floating blacks and some clouds on the screen from poor backlight uniformity.

I returned the set to the store and even though I demonstrated the clouds the store insisted it's in spec and as the only way I could demonstrate this fault was by pulling up a blank screen on one of the AV's and using the menu system to bring the backlight up they argued that people don't watch TV like that and it's in spec. Point blank refused a refund and tried to argue with me about how LCD TV's work, little do they know i'm an ex LG engineer who used to work in the LG factory in Newport on CRT/LCD products that were manufactured there.

However, they have agreed to swap the set for a different one, I chose the Panasonic 50V20, but the more I read on the problems that are possibly associated with this set the more it's putting me off, I'm due to have the TV delivered tomorrow but I really don't know what to do. I'll notice floating blacks and if the black level rises that will drive me mad.

I currently have a Panasonic TH-37PX70BA which although has been an excellent TV over the past 2 years, the blacks are no where near what they were when i bought it, which really annoys me and there hasn't been much in the way of discussions of MLL rise on this model.

I really need to know if the V20 is affected by any of these issues and if so what steps can I take to get a full refund as I don't feel this is acceptable in any way, at this stage I shall not mention the name and location of this store.

I'm at a loss what to think or do, it's affecting my sleep if i'm being honest.

Sony sets often have clouding & uneven backlights although the HX is usually far better than the EX models.

I would say don't worry :) The initial black levels on these sets is excellent & "IF" the mll level rises 3 times it should still give a better black level than an LG plasma & most other sets out there. The floating black issue is not something I have yet seen nor have I noted any motion problems.
To be honest you are better off not reading these forums unless you develop a problem with your set :D almost every TV that is discussed starts off great, then gets slated & then a kind of equilibrium occurs which is much nearer the truth. No set is perfect but these V20/VT20's are pretty good :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Im really not sure what to do here, I didn't accept the panasonic the retailer got in as im paranoid about the associated problems and that my px70 has already lost it's blacks which im not happy about.

They have delivered my 46HX703 back to me, still refusing to give a refund but will exchange it for another model, I've spoken to trading standards and they say I have to get an engineers report then take further action. This is annoying because the retailer has already admitted that they have a customer who wants my 46HX703, but won't give me a refund!! :(

I would take the V20. I have seen the VT20 side by side with a pioneer krp 500a and the set is almost as good. I say almost as the blacks are still better on kuro.

The V20 is the non 3d version so the picture quality on that will be as good as the VT20. The Vt20/V20 are the best plasmas you can buy right now imo.

Im really not sure what to do here, I didn't accept the panasonic the retailer got in as im paranoid about the associated problems and that my px70 has already lost it's blacks which im not happy about.

They have delivered my 46HX703 back to me, still refusing to give a refund but will exchange it for another model, I've spoken to trading standards and they say I have to get an engineers report then take further action. This is annoying because the retailer has already admitted that they have a customer who wants my 46HX703, but won't give me a refund!! :(

Chances are that even "IF" the mll rise did occur the black levels would be better than your PX70 when it was new ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom