• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Panasonic TX-P42G10. First impressions and a couple of questions

Menoetius

I took the plunge last week and treated myself to a TX-P42G10. :thumbsup:
I had been using a 28" Panasonic CRT for the last 7 or 8 years and the time had come. After all, over the last 2 years or so, my home cinema set up has had a complete overhaul.
My Arcam / PMC set up deserved a screen to do it justice. Escpecially my Arcam DV139. I was itching to see what it could do when upscaled to 1080P.

I must say that I'd been delaying upgrading the CRT because of my concerns over SD picture quality. This seems to be an issue for many fellow forum members. And understandably so. So over the last few weeks I did my homework. Shopped around, checking out the options. I read various online reviews and kept an eye on the threads in this forum.

The end result? A new TV that I'm really happy with.:)

A fairly good deal too I reckon. £760 with a 5 year warranty.
Chances are that a lot of you will probably think I should have got the 46" or 50", given that I sit about 11 feet from the telly. But it sits inside a fireplace. Here's a pic taken around 2 years ago

panasonic.jpg

I could have got a 46" in there but I felt the 42" would ensure that the whole of the screen would be visible for anyone viewing from the seats to the left and right of the room. This has proved to be the case. With the screen about 7 inches into the fireplace everyone has a great view (I'll post a pic when I can).

My thoughts so far:

SD quality?
All in all its very good. Its fair to say that it is softer than the old CRT but I'm very happy with it. The first big test was on Saturday. ESPN showing Manchester United vs Sunderland. This was viewed through my Virgin set top box, connected via scart (RGB). It was spot on. I really couldn't fault it. The built in Freesat and Freeview also look great.
Its safe to say that my fears regarding SD picture quality are a thing of the past.

DVD performance.
I'm loving this!! Now I can get the most out of my DV139. Granted its a high end piece of kit and I expected it to be a top performer. But I was still shaking my head and smiling like a kid when I watched the first Transformers movie on Saturday night. Awesome.

Freesat HD performance.
A few hours after setting up the TV last friday I watched "Mountain" on the BBC HD channel. It looked gorgeous. Seen various HD broadcasts over the last few days and they've all been very impressive.

Blu-ray performance.
Absolutely fantastic. I borrowed a friends PS3 along with a couple of movies. Awesome picture. I really need to buy a blu-ray player now.

As a PC monitor.
I connected my PC via VGA to see what my .264 HD videos look like. Could only view in 1360x768 using VGA but it still looked stunning. Tried a couple of 720P videos - Heroes, Watchmen. Also played a 1080P AVCHD rip of Monsters vs Aliens. I use Zoom Player with CoreAVC codec. Looked excellent. When I can find my DVI to HDMI adapter I'll be able to set to 1920x1080.
I also had a quick go on World Of Warcraft. Looked great and a very different experience from my 19" Viewsonic LCD. I didn't have WoW on for long though as I'm unsure about its suitability with the screen - all the static images etc.

Other observations.
Set up was a breeze. As soon as the TV was switched on for the first time it began to tune in. My friend and I were gobsmacked that all the Freesat channels were tuned in within seconds of being turned on.
Then theres the other satellite channels. I wasn't expecting those. Most are complete rubbish but there are a couple of extra music channels. Not to mention the channels that are so bad they're great. I never thought I'd watch a soap opera from the Democratic Republic of Congo. The acting has to be seen to be believed.:D

If you're not sure about buying a plasma, if you're concerned that you'll be disappointed with the picture quality then I say - Don't worry. Buy in confidence. The TX-P42G10 is a cracking piece of kit.

Finally, a few questions if anyone can help.

Is it safe to play WoW on the TV (and gaming in general)? Given that there are multiple actions bars, static images. Is there a rule of thumb? A couple of hours? 30 minutes? I don't know. As cool as it would be to play WoW on such a large screen and at such a high resolution I don't want to damage it.

As I have an Arcam AVR350 I'll need a blu-ray player that has onboard decoding so I can connect via analogue. Any recommendations? I've been reading about the Oppo. Would that be the player of choice?

Has anyone used MultiAVCHD? I have a card reader but need to buy an SDHC card. Before I shell out £25 on one it would be good to know if anyone has had any success viewing movies using the SD card slot. It seems straightforward enough and I have already used the software to convert a couple of mkv videos to the AVCHD structure but without the card I can't test them.

Thanks,

Wyatt

whattv??

Standard Member
Its good to hear such positive comments, mine is being delivered tomorrow, can't wait lol, i've never had bigger than a 28" so its going to be a treat lol

tele1962

Distinguished Member
First time i have seen a snake as part of an AV set up,never mind i'll bet it gives Santa a suprise when he comes down the chimney! :rotfl::rotfl:;)

Menoetius

Sid has been part of the family for years :)
He's really good with the kids. He hasn't bitten anyone yet, no matter how much he gets bashed about :D

Last edited:

discover

Hi
i don't think it's a good idea playing games right away on an new plasma. it needs running in for around 100 hours at the very least. turn down your contrast/brightness settings to around 40% and do not use vivid as your main viewing mode. stay clear from static images, the plasma is simply too hot in the first 100 hours or so, static images left on the screen with high contrast+brightness settings may leave temporary image retention. i know it's a pain in the butt not being able to play games right away, but just think in the long run you will be able to pause/leave static images for over 2-3 hours without seeing any IR t all.
so yeh basically, turn down your contrast/brightness and do not leave static images for even 30mins or so and do not play games just yet. a good tip for breaking in is to leave the tv on a channel with no logo's or zoom in to minus the logo and leave it on for a few hours a day to help boost break-in period.
i use multiAVCHD regularly though i mainly set output to fat-32 and send onto flash usb for playback on ps3.
i am yet to try SDHC playback through bluray player but i'm pretty sure it will only playback AVCHD>>M2TS files correctly.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Well all I can say is that if the OP thinks ESPN SD looks good then he wont fail to be impressed by the other channels as I dont think it gets worse than ESPN - certainly not on freeview anyway! :)

Oh yeah...£25 for an SDHC card?! :eek: What size was that...sounds a bit steep to me.

rewerb

IIs it safe to play WoW on the TV (and gaming in general)? Given that there are multiple actions bars, static images. Is there a rule of thumb? A couple of hours? 30 minutes? I don't know. As cool as it would be to play WoW on such a large screen and at such a high resolution I don't want to damage it.

Thanks,

Wyatt
Image retention doesnt damage the panel, it will "wash" away with normal viewing. If your being careful, play for 15 mins, switch to a Freeview channel for 15 mins, can you see any image retention? If not, try 30 minutes.. etc..

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
With regard to a Blu ray player, there are several players out there with Analogue outs Pansonic being one of them. However if you want the best upscaling & Audio experience for your money then the Oppo 83/831 is the way to go, It also has great CD performance. BD PQ will be similar on all machines, upscaling is where the Oppo will excel but of course it's more than twice the price of mainstream machines. I currently have a SonyS350 which is a great player but intend to buy the Oppo 831 when it finaly launches over here. :)

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Finally, a few questions if anyone can help.

Is it safe to play WoW on the TV (and gaming in general)? Given that there are multiple actions bars, static images. Is there a rule of thumb? A couple of hours? 30 minutes? I don't know. As cool as it would be to play WoW on such a large screen and at such a high resolution I don't want to damage it.

I don't think it's ever safe to play WoW but you'll be fine with other games:D just take a break after a couple of hours and let the TV do the same. I've gamed on mine since day 1 and have no problems, You will see IR on a totally blank screen but it will wash in a few seconds when you watch the TV.

As I have an Arcam AVR350 I'll need a blu-ray player that has onboard decoding so I can connect via analogue. Any recommendations? I've been reading about the Oppo. Would that be the player of choice?

Yep, if you want analogue outs the Oppo is the way to go.

Has anyone used MultiAVCHD? I have a card reader but need to buy an SDHC card. Before I shell out £25 on one it would be good to know if anyone has had any success viewing movies using the SD card slot. It seems straightforward enough and I have already used the software to convert a couple of mkv videos to the AVCHD structure but without the card I can't test them.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Do a search of the plasma forum on MultiAVCHD, there's definitely a couple of folk who have had it working but I don't think the details were in this particular thread:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom