New panasonic tv... new panasonic dvd player?

nevermore80

Standard Member
Hello

First time posting here on these forums... certianly not first time reading, never buy a thing without searching these forums for hours first :) but now i need some direct advice....

We recently upgraded to Virgin HD and so we went out and bought a Panasonic TH-37px80 (to replace our old cheap and nasty Beko CRT)... with which we are seriosuly impressed... way better than our friends more expensive Samsung and my parents more expensive Sony...

This has now lead me to start thinking about DVD players... i have a very large DVD collection, and have no intention of upgrading to Blu-ray just yet, so basically my question is this - what DVD player, at the lower end of the market, will make the most of my new TV? Ideally i'd like a Panasonic to make use of the Viera Link... but are panasonic DVD players actually any good?.. i have been looking at the DVD-S52, DVD-S53 & DVDS54.... but i wonder if using this to upscale will result in any picture improvement over just letting my new TV do the work? I have to admit to not knowing too much about upscaling... but as the tv is not 1080p im guessing there is little point getting a dvd player that is 1080p?...at the moment i have an old Sony dvd player, and basically, i'd like to know the best way to get a better picture for under £100...

Is the Panasonic DVD-S52/S53/S54 a bad idea? And what is the difference between these models? Also, are panasonic DVD players actually worth getting? Or would i be better of with, say the Toshiba XD-E500? I dont mind a slight drop in quality if it means i can get a panasonic but i dont want to get a panasonic just for the sake of it if they arnt very good?... if that makes sense?

Any help and advice would be hugely appriciated :)

WGLOVER

I have the Toshiba XDE500 with my Panasonic 42PX60.
I highly recommend it.
I also have a Panny Blue-ray, which although having a good DVD performance, is not IMO as good as the Toshiba.

I am now going through my DVD collection with added interest.

nevermore80

Standard Member
Ive heard the XDE500 will only display 4:3 stretched to 16:9... is there any truth in that? I've now completely gone off the idea of the Panasonic... i'm kinda choosing between the Samsung DVD-HD870, the Onkyo DV-SP406 and the XDE500...

snig300

the thing is with the px80 tvs is that it will up scale all inputs to 1080p then down scale again to 720p so a dvd that will upscale will/might not matter cos the tv will always do the last down scale so if the dvd has a better scaler it will be wasted as the tv gets to do the last down scale anyway,

ive got the same tv with a bluray player panasonic bd35 which will also play dvds was £199 blurays look great and if you didnt know it dvd play back could nearly pass for bluray,so if the tv is undoing all of the bluray players good scaling its doing a good job of it so no worries:thumbsup:

WGLOVER

I don't suppose my PX60 does what yours does in making all 1080p, but I have found all the upscaling DVD players I have used give a better picture than non upscaling players.
However, I can see lno difference between 720p, 1080i & 1080p.
Using 575, however, does seem softer.

alsina

I don't suppose my PX60 does what yours does in making all 1080p, but I have found all the upscaling DVD players I have used give a better picture than non upscaling players.
However, I can see lno difference between 720p, 1080i & 1080p.
Using 575, however, does seem softer.

Panasonic's 2006 models upscaled and processed in 1080i rather than 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom