New Panasonic TH42PW6B Questions?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Oblivion, May 6, 2004.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone

As you can see this is another Panasonic TH42PW6B thread, but I think I have some new questions.

I intend to use the screen for Sky+, DVD and XBOX.

I intend to connect Sky to the VGA port via a JS RGB2VGA as it seems to be the best connection. DVD will be connected via component, which leaves me with the XBOX. My questions are

1. Can you use 2 component cards on the Panny?
    2. Will the XBOX via component be much better then via the Scart card?

Well that’s my questions for now. I dare say more will follow

Cheers

Paul

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You can use 2 component cards, but most people use a video switcher, usually their AV amp. My feeling is that the difference between scart and component will be noticeable. The times I've connected any consoles via RGB have been disappointing, but they all seem good on component.

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm considering buying a plasma, but deciding whether to go for the Panasonic W6 range or the Pioneer 504HDE. User friendliness is a priority, because I live with a technophic family.

A couple of questions I have:

The Panasonc has a 4000:1 constrast ratio whereas Pioneer's is around 1000:1. Is there such a big noticeable difference between the two?

Pioneer's plasma is HDTV-ready with HDMI connection, whereas Panasonic isn't. Are there (or will there be) external modules I can connect to the Panasonic to get HDTV (when available) ?

Thanks.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    HDTV will connect to the Panasonic as is, just that the resolutions won't match, but neither will they on the Pioneer. HDTV is here now, just there's nothing to watch on it. The HDE is a complete TV solution, ideal if you have no digital TV and cannot reieve freeview. As yet I wouldn't get too stoked up about HDMI, it is serverely restricted in it's abilities with plasma screens in current production. The W6 is a computer monitor, esentially, with video modules added as needed, including a HDCP compliant DVI board, which is restricted in another way to make it nearly useless to the majority of us. The contrast ratio is very noticeable when both are side by side, and in the case of a 50" screen, both are similar resolution. If you can get freeview, or are happy with cable or sky, IMHO the panny is the better bet, but the 504 is currently the best integrated plasma TV on the market, though Panasonic are making a play for the title with an IDTV set, but no good if you can't freeview!

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Looks like the Pioneer 504HDE is the one to get, for my technophobic family who don't want to go through manual video-switching, etc. Also, the higher resolution on the Pioneer will be great when I connect my PC to it for playing top-end games on a large screen ;)

I notice the Pioneer doesn't have strero audio output sockets (but it has input). That's a downer, because I'd like to connect that to my AV amp to get broadcasts in surround sound. I know I can achieve this by connecting my VCR audio outputs to the amp, but my family won't like to have to keep manually changing the channel on the VCR each time they change the TV channel. Is there a way of going around this, so each time the TV channel is changed, the audio of THAT channel is automatically output from the TV to the av amp?

Also, how high are the risks with pixel failures and screen-burns with this Pioneer plasma? I understand that when there's a pixel failure, it's not covered by warranty unless there's enough failed pixels to justify a repair/replacement/return. So even if there's just one failed pixel, it'll stick out like a sore thumb which I'm stuck with throughout the TV's lifespan.

Thanks.

Thanks.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    er.... PC's. HDE has a vga port on the front of it's media box, sure. Digital connection won't work. Also I'd hardly say it's easier to operate than a monitor style, you just need to get the installation right and the monitor will be easier. I'm happy to talk it through with you, PM your phone if you like. Takes longer than I've got to type it all in