1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panasonic PT-AE900 Full Specs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Zag, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    At last official details of Panasonic's replacement to the 700.

Full details found at this link.

http://www.produkte.panasonic.de/pr...00E@Heimkino-Projektor@&altMod=N&upper=&prop=

Or if you prefer a translation to English.. http://fets3.freetranslation.com/?u...=&prop=&sequence=core&language=German/English

Snippets of the spec below.

1.280 x 720 Pixel (HD ready)
    5.000:1 Contrast
    1.100 ANSI-Lumen
    Smooth Screen Technolology
    1.999,00 EUR

Click on PDF-Datenblatt on the link above for more comprehensive details.

Overall, very similar spec to the new Z4.

Looking forward to the 1st previews of this new Panny.

Zag

Attached Files:

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to order one of these babies.

I've been fighting the temptation to upgrade to an AE700 for months. I'd been put off by the arrival of the next model.

3. Pic

Pic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When is this projector due to be released?

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will be officially announced at CEDIA next weekend, probably for sale in October.

Stock will probably start to appear November/December.

5. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    bummer - I was hoping for 1080p

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Gosh the designers havent dont much over the last year... that looks almost identical to the AE700, except for the air-out vent.....

7. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    What do you mean? The end of the lens shift knob is blue - a huge change :devil:

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So was I, but I've realised over the last few months that 1080p won't be within my budget for a few years.

There are a few LCD projectors out and the cheapest is $15,000. The cheapest 1080p LCD TV I've seen is £4,200. I won't pay over £1,500 for either.

I've come to the conclusion that my next projector after I upgrade to a AE900 will be 1080p. The AE900 should look great to my eyes after owning an AE100 for over 3 years.

9. wassap

wassap
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Wonder how much its gonna retail for here???

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Seems to me that both the Z4 and the 900 are just treading water. I can't see anything worth upgrading from a Z3 or a 700 for.

Regards

Mark

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The biggest benefit looks like the huge increase in contrast and by definition much better black levels.

12. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd guess it initially would be £1500, gradually dropping to £1000 by summer 2006.

It is just a guess. No retailers have them listed yet.

13. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    glad its not just me that doesn't really think there is anyhting grounbreaking to warrant an upgrade from the Z3 or 700.

I personally think the epson and the Hitachi look better this time round..

14. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Agreed I reckon the Epson will be a bit of a dark horse..... Probably the wrong term to use with 1600 Lumens!!!

Lets get things into perspective a contrast jump from 2000:1 to 5000:1 is still rather impressive. Lets just hope there's no VB on the Pannys D5 panels as reported on the early preview of the Z4.

The Panny or the Epson may just be my next PJ. Just waiting on official specs of the Sony VPL-HS60 now.

However if the Sony's new LCD PJ can reach close to 10,000:1 Contrast as early rumors hint at. It just might be worth waiting for.

Roll on CEDIA next weekend. I wish I were going.

Zag

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already own a Panasonic AE700 and am very happy with contrast range ( my room has no incoming light ) picture quality is also great, i see nothing within the specifications of the new model to warrant an upgrade, its still 720p and although the fill factor in the D5 panels should produce a better picture in reality and in the real world the differences are probably not worth upgrading what i already own for a model which doesn't offer too much different to the one i own.

Pity Panasonic couldn't do what Sanyo have done and provide an easy way to clean dust blobs and surely there is a way Panasonic could decrease fan noise and increase bulb life and my understanding was that D5 panels were capable of 10000-1 contrast ratio and the new Sony seems to be approaching this ( although the figures may be hyped ) so why are all these new models only achieving figures like 5000-1, still these figures certainly put LCD in the same ballpark as DLP but for much less money.

16. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

17. Voo

Voo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all the secrecy, the PT-AE900 specs are a bit of an anti-climax (i.e. almost identical to the Sanyo Z4). Most of the specs on these new sub 2000 EUR Home Cinema projectors are similar and almost all are using the new D5 panels. I'm fairly convinced that they'll all put in a good cinematic performance so for me, it'll probably come down to price. In any event, i'm upgrading from a PT-AE200 so i'll probably be easily impressed by any of the new offerings.

18. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Voo I've seen your PT-AE200 in action. I'm sure the new D5 equipped LCDs will be a big step up from that. :D

However I'm not sure that they're going so much better that the bargain priced Z3 that's really tempting you at the moment.

Zag

19. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    for me the epson tw600 looks far better and is going to be in the same price range.

20. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i was looking to buy the 700 soon, so this is good news to me in that i expect the price of the 700 to drop slightly in readiness for the 900 release :smashin:
    and if the resolution's the same i'll prob go for the 700 (if there's any left)

21. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best time to upgrade is when you have a decent re-sale value on your current projector, since its only 4 months old at present then i would get more money for it ( i assume )

Anyways i have no intention of upgrading until affordable 1080P projectors become available ( and of course software in high definition form is readily available and i wouldn't buy into that until the format war settles down and one or the other side wins )

I personally think the Sanyo z4 sounds more exciting with its features list and dust cleaning facilities assuming the new D5 panels help with vertical banding and screendoor effect ( i bought the panasonic because of its smoothscreen technology and think it works a treat )

22. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    In a dilemma here guys...

I have the opportunity to get a Themescene H57 ex-demo at a heavily discounted price. Would this be a better bet than a new Z4 or AE900?

I was mightily impressed with the picture quality on offer on the H57 and the absence of dust blobs would be a major bonus after my AE100.

23. Cinematic

Cinematic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got back from IFA Berlin Fairs. There were a lot of pjs with new Epson's D5 panels. I've seen AE900, Sanyo Z4 and Epson TW600. Room conditions were poor, so it was hard to belive in their specs (CR 5000:1). Whites were washed out and contrast didn't look too promising (compare to DLPs). But, most of theme were uncalibrated so it's really hard to say how good they can look like...

24. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ...says the man with the Optoma link in his signature :) .

Cinematic, did you see anything from Sony, there? I.e. HS60 and the new SXRD projector?

Squibbly

25. Cinematic

Cinematic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I like Optomas that's why it might be not objective to answer to Chris question :)

Sony had a great booth, they had 2 Qualias on big FastFold screens. No HS60 and SXRD :(
    Optoma had probably one of the worst presentation I've ever seen. They were showing DV10 and H79. Plenty of ambient light, looked like 5 minutes before opening they were installing their stuff.
    I liked very much (probably my favourite pj) Fujitsu LPF-D711. Amazing, how great LCD can be! The best black was definitely from Yamaha DPX-1300. Couldn't imagine that's DC3 720p pj. Also there was great DLP pj from Mitsubishi HC3000 - DC3 720p. I almost forgot, Hitachi had TX200 in their showroom.

26. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there much screendoor effect on the AE700?

I have a AE300 and am considering an upgrade, but am not sure which to upgrade to?

27. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cinematic, thanks for the update. It's bizarre how a lot of major companies fluff the presentation at these trade shows! Maybe Sony will show their new babies at CEDIA. I'm desperate for a non-DLP projector (DLP gives me eyestrain), but don't want to jump in just as a killer model is released.

Fluffy-bunny, I thought the smooth-screen technology of the AE700 meant it was one of the best LCDs for no screendoor, though some don't like the softening effect this has on the image. Haven't seen one myself.

Squibbly

28. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Doubtful (IMHO). Prices of technology items drop faster than a bad day on the Stock Market - and not just projectors. Your £2K piece of shiny kit is next years bargain basement. Look at how much the AE100 (which was THE hot projector when it came out) thatcost £1500 is now worth - peanuts. I'd be lucky to get £200 for m 3 year old model, I reckon (esp. with the dust blobs).

My own thoughts are to keep a hold of something for a min. 2 years to get as much value as possible out of it and then pass it on to the kids, friends or family at a bargain price. I'll then upgrade to something that is streets ahead of the old piece of kit and be really impressed with it. I've bought enough computers over the years to know that tech envy is a terrible thing - you just know that something better is coming along any minute. But the new model is only ever 10-15% better than the old one.

TBH I think anyone that upgrades to each new model has too much money on their hands ;). The performance increases are incremental each time and you are forever seeking Nirvana - which, inevitably, never arrives. You'd be better off taking the plunge and going for a higher end piece of kit in the 1st place - it'll cost the same as constant upgrading and you'll have a better piece of kit to start with.

Just my tuppence.

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Agreed I'm sticking with my sony HS20 until something comparable to the qualia drops into the 3k market. HS20 will likely be worth the price of postage by that point.