• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Panasonic Plasma issues - Noob

col70

Standard Member
Folks, this is the first post to this forum.... so hello!

After some problems with our aging Philips CRT and after taking in all the advice that I got from friends, sites like What Hifi and retailers like Richer Sounds, Superfi I plumped for a Panasonic 42" plasma - model TXP42X10B

It arrived last night and got it all set up and then went on to watch TV as usual.

Previous Set up:
Phillips 28" CRT
Sky+
Dawoo DVD
Wii

New Set up:
-Plasma 42"
-Pace Sky+ Box connected to TV using short, gold, scart
-Daewoo DVD/Recorder (being replaced by a Sony upscaler using HDMI later this week)
-Nintendo Wii (using same/alternating scart as DVD)
-All Sky channels inc movies, music, movies and sport

The quality of the image is disappointing to say the least on the new set up. Baring in mind that the new plasma appeared to be the best that we could afford (credit crunch etc) at £570, we thought that the picture would 'as good as' if not better than the CRT. Issues....

On Sky+ EPG, for example, the text (date/day/month) etc seems to have a bit of bleeding around the digits.

On some of the channels eg. BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 etc picutre is good, and pleasant however there is a slight snowy/fizz apparent on solid cream walls for example.

When we went into Sky News Channel and BBC News Channnel, pressed the red button, we got the 'highlights' boxes to appear. We went through each of the boxes one by one and the images were awful, blurred and very pixilated.

The Daewoo DVD worked absolutley fine on the CRT but when put onto the Plasma the screen is completely green no matter what settings I change (rgb, 16:9 etc)

The Wii works fine but appears a little blurred and dark.

I'm pulling my hair out here as it took a long long time to convince my missus to go for this TV. She is bitterly dissappointed and I'm hoping that some of you wonderful people can help/advise....in laymans terms.

Cheers
Col

ScottW75

What picture mode is it in and what are your contrast / brightness settings?

Panasonics look terrible at the default settings.

col70

Standard Member
Got the picture mode currently set to 'movie' (seems to reduce blurring) and taken the brightness down to about 45%

mikimausis

you see now imperfections you havent seen earlier because of screensize(in mobilephone it would look even better than on CRT :D ). HD movie at dark room is the way to determine how good is your TV.
set picture to cinema, colors to warm. and dont count on plasma being better than CRT for SD television. you see green/pink faces on SD because thats the way they get proper color on poor bitrates.
bluray is the way to go, its a good TV you got, enjoy it

col70

Standard Member
Are you using a good quality RGB scart to connect the Sky box? And set the sky box to ouput RGB?

Well, I've used 2 different scarts which have previously served me well. One I bought about 6 years ago cost about £25 as i recall... Both are gold plated. One is about 1m long the other is about 2m long

col70

Standard Member
you see now imperfections you havent seen earlier because of screensize(in mobilephone it would look even better than on CRT :D ). HD movie at dark room is the way to determine how good is your TV.
set picture to cinema, colors to warm. and dont count on plasma being better than CRT for SD television. you see green/pink faces on SD because thats the way they get proper color on poor bitrates.
bluray is the way to go, its a good TV you got, enjoy it

Bluray is a cost that I can't take at the mo as I couldn't really afford to go for the plasma but as the crt was on its way out, we plumped for this set.

ScottW75

Well, I've used 2 different scarts which have previously served me well. One I bought about 6 years ago cost about £25 as i recall... Both are gold plated. One is about 1m long the other is about 2m long

The important thing here is that you have connected the TV scart from the skybox to the correct scart on the TV (One that supports RGB) and that you have enabled RGB in the SKY menu otherwise you will be getting a composite picture which is awful.

Also, the scart cable must have the RGB pins connected otherwise you will see no difference.

Last edited:

col70

Standard Member
The important thing here is that you have connected the TV scart to the correct scart on the TV (One that supports RGB) and that you have enabled RGB in the SKY menu otherwise you will be getting a composite picture which is awful.

Also, the scart cable must have the RGB pins connected otherwise you will see no difference.

How do I find the pins bit out?

ScottW75

[/B]

How do I find the pins bit out?

Go into the picture settings menu on the Skybox. Change between RGB on and off. Does the picture jump and get clearer when you switch in on?

If it doesn't you've either put the scart cable into a scart that doesnt support RGB or You've plugged it into the VCR scart output on the back of the sky box or the cable doesnt support RGB.

BYF

Just to echo what others said, make sure that you have the Scart set as "RGB" in Picture Settings in the Sky Menu and set to 16:9 aspect ratio. This can make a big difference.

Also how far away do you sit? I'd want to be at least 8feet away, and preferably 10feet plus for SDTV.

Does the room have lots of windows? or and high ambient lighting?

To be perfectly honest though the 28inch CRT Philips TV would have given a very good picture with those sources you have listed.

col70

Standard Member
Go into the picture settings menu on the Skybox. Change between RGB on and off. Does the picture jump and get clearer when you switch in on?

If it doesn't you've either put the scart cable into a scart that doesnt support RGB or You've plugged it into the VCR scart output on the back of the sky box or the cable doesnt support RGB.

Yes it does jump a little and yes it does get a little clearer.

mikimausis

Bluray is a cost that I can't take at the mo as I couldn't really afford to go for the plasma but as the crt was on its way out, we plumped for this set.

you have PC, since you are typing here. download .mkv HD movie from torrents, hook up your PC to TV. enjoy.
costs is 5$ for cable. (HDMI/DVI or VGA).

i believe one of the SCARTs on tV is for composite video, wich is awfull as stated earlier.

also try playing with sharpening. on picture it increses contrast on the edges. oversharpended tends to look crapy

ARNOLD AKIEN

tat
Folks, this is the first post to this forum.... so hello!

After some problems with our aging Philips CRT and after taking in all the advice that I got from friends, sites like What Hifi and retailers like Richer Sounds, Superfi I plumped for a Panasonic 42" plasma - model TXP42X10B

It arrived last night and got it all set up and then went on to watch TV as usual.

Previous Set up:
Phillips 28" CRT
Sky+
Dawoo DVD
Wii

New Set up:
-Plasma 42"
-Pace Sky+ Box connected to TV using short, gold, scart
-Daewoo DVD/Recorder (being replaced by a Sony upscaler using HDMI later this week)
-Nintendo Wii (using same/alternating scart as DVD)
-All Sky channels inc movies, music, movies and sport

The quality of the image is disappointing to say the least on the new set up. Baring in mind that the new plasma appeared to be the best that we could afford (credit crunch etc) at £570, we thought that the picture would 'as good as' if not better than the CRT. Issues....

On Sky+ EPG, for example, the text (date/day/month) etc seems to have a bit of bleeding around the digits.

On some of the channels eg. BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 etc picutre is good, and pleasant however there is a slight snowy/fizz apparent on solid cream walls for example.

When we went into Sky News Channel and BBC News Channnel, pressed the red button, we got the 'highlights' boxes to appear. We went through each of the boxes one by one and the images were awful, blurred and very pixilated.

The Daewoo DVD worked absolutley fine on the CRT but when put onto the Plasma the screen is completely green no matter what settings I change (rgb, 16:9 etc)

The Wii works fine but appears a little blurred and dark.

I'm pulling my hair out here as it took a long long time to convince my missus to go for this TV. She is bitterly dissappointed and I'm hoping that some of you wonderful people can help/advise....in laymans terms.

Cheers
Col

Hi col70 and welcome to the forums,

First of all do bear in mind that you are used to your old CRT TV set and its small picture and that direct comparisons between that Phillips 28" CRT
and your new plasma TV are of little practical value to either you .. or your wife. Heres a little piece of comfort which should help to reassure Herself ...

Plasma TVs are NOT like old fashioned TV sets they do NOT give you the optimum picture out of the box but rather require a couple of hundred hours of viewing time for the phosphors to age in evenly and then, and only then, will you have a decent picture. Even with the standard out of the box - showroom - settings changed and all the picture enhancement settings turned off you will have to wait and see ...no Instant Gratification for you.:devil:

As for the Scart connectors .. is there a reason why you are using these rather than HDMI leads? My old Sky HD box has a HDMI output doesn't yours?

You will notice a difference once you get your new ' Sony upscaler using HDMI later this week ' but even then you will need to wait for the picture to settle in before you achieve decent quality .. though Sky Info Box content is never going to pin sharp and you can get odd effects on rolling text information banners.

Give it time .. and start saving up for a surround sound Receiver and 5.1 speaker system.

Arnold.

ARNOLD AKIEN

He doesnt have SKY HD. AFAIK Sky+ boxes don't have HDMI outs on them.

That's unfortunate. How about component outputs? Component for picture would give pretty good results with sound coming into the Plasma TV from stereo phono outputs on the Sky Box?

Failing that an up-rate to HD might join the wish list, though a full package including sports and film might be expensive. :D I had such a package for a year as part of a special Sky Employee s family special offer and though I have no interest in sports I was very impressed by HD picture quality for .. Football, I think the game is called.

Nytrill

Standard Member
hi all! i'm having the same problem as col70!!!

i just brought a new Panasonic TX-P42X10B but i think it has some problems!! the image looks blurry most of the times (i use normal sky box via Scart), the colours look pale,i found out to that when i plug my laptop via VGA to the plasma the screen display de laptop image in green!!

...plus at the corners of the screen like on channel logos i can see the image flikering!!!

can someone give a help on this:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom