1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panasonic LCDs (TX32LXD50)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sim01, May 25, 2005.

1. sim01

sim01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, can anyone offer advice about the 26" and 32" screens recently brought out by Panasonic. They look good with the speakers across the bottom and seem to be reasonably priced. I understand that they don't use standard wall fixings, which is a bit of a problem if you want to use a wall mounted arm, but the Panasonic staff seemed to think a bracket would be made to fit it at some point. I'm sceptical.

2. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's supposed to be a TX32LXD500 coming out later in the summer. No idea on the actual release date(s).

This is the one I'm waiting for since it has the ability to record to a memory card (a good excuse to replace the VHS recorder providing the quality of the MPEG4 recordings are OK and don't take up some ridiculous amount of space!)

3. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I can tell from the blurb, the TV has an SD memory card slot and that is all. This is to allow you to view pictures from a digital camera directly onto the screen. You will not be able to record programming onto this.

Jimmy

5. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually Jimmy the specs in the latest LCD brochure confirm you can record to the SD card slot.

However, I've just read in the same spec list that it will be recording at 320x240 (max bitrate of 1490Kbps - although other modes are available). They're obviously aiming this at anyone wanting to watch stuff on the move on a compatible device. Not for a replacement of a normal recorder.

For details - see here:
    http://support.panasonic.co.uk/catalogues/pdf/Audio Visual Catalogues/Viera_2005_Brochure.pdf

Rgds
    Miles

6. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm.. that is interesting. Would make it possible to record stuff and watch it on my PDA.

Having said that, 320x240 would still look :thumbsdow on my VGA screen.

Wander if they can improve on this.

Ben

7. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They probably could - but then the amount of space it would take up would be huge (with bigger resolutions at higher bitrates necessary for good quality recordings)

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sharp already have this feature on their GD1E models. 320x240 resolution gives the following record times on a 256MB card.

SP 10minutes ASF (Motion Picture: MPEG-4 compliant, Sound:WMA-compliant)
    LP 30 minutes ASF (Motion Picture: MPEG-4 compliant, Sound:WMA-compliant)
    EP 1 hour ASF (Motion Picture: MPEG-4 compliant, Sound: G.726-compliant)

It uses a PC card adaptor so you can use the following memory devices:

SD Memory Card <= 512MB
    mini SD™ Card <= 32MB
    CompactFlash <= 2GB
    MultiMediaCard <= 128MB
    SmartMedia <= 128MB
    Memory Stick <= 128MB
    Memory Stick PRO <= 1GB
    Microdrive <= 2GB
    xD Picture Card <= 128MB
    PC Card Hard Disk <= 5GB

It is primarily designed for playing back on a PDA side device, but can also be used to playbak recorded media on the display - presumably pretty awful quality.

I think some of the Sony's have this feature also, but its limited to Memory Stick and their own proprietry format.

-Ian