New Panasonic HS2 owner - help appreciated

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having gone mad and splashed out on the Panasonic HS2 DVD/HDD recorder, I'm still getting to grips with all its bells and whistles. There are two specific points which are baffling me slightly (and which don't seem to be covered by the manual) - any help, advice or odd thoughts would be gratefully received.

First question: recording from an NTSC source.

It's been mentioned on these pages that an NTSC tape played on a VCR set for "NTSC display on a PAL TV" wil not record properly on the HS2. My Sony VCR has a switchable NTSC output: "On PAL TV/NTSC 4.43" - I had hoped that the 4.43 position would be seen by the HS2 as a true (and therefore recordable) signal, but this doesn't seem to be the case: whatever the position of the switch, the bottom of the picture is obscured by horizontal lines.

So my question is: what sort of NTSC output from a VCR *would* be recordable on the HS2? Can anyone recommend a specific VCR for the purpose?

Second question: labelling the AV inputs.

Is it possible to attach labels to the four AV inputs? I'd like to permanently identify them as "Sky", "VCR" and so on. It seems that it should be possible: the Manual Tuning page lists each AV input with a space for "name" and "channel" (just like the RF channels) but I can't find any way of entering or saving information into those fields.

Many thanks in advance!

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Originally posted by Bert Coules
Second question: labelling the AV inputs.

Is it possible to attach labels to the four AV inputs? I'd like to permanently identify them as "Sky", "VCR" and so on. It seems that it should be possible: the Manual Tuning page lists each AV input with a space for "name" and "channel" (just like the RF channels) but I can't find any way of entering or saving information into those fields.
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Can't answer your questions but on DMR-E30 (HS2's little brother) the same things happens you can label RF Channels and it says exactly the same thing in the E30 manual as well in regards to naming AV outputs but you simply cannot name the the four AV inputs, very annoying.

Yonderblue, thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to try contacting Panasonic about labeling the AV inputs.

As far as the NTSC input goes, it seems that the HS2 will only acccept a true NTSC 3.58 signal - so I suppose that means either a genuinely multi-standard VCR or some kind of standards converter.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Hi Bert,

Did you ever get an answer to naming the four av inputs?

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

I'm afraid that Christmas and other distractions rather got in the way. I do plan to contact Panasonic in the new year, though.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom