1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panasonic Blu Ray Player/recorder and 50 gig disks!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AML, Jul 26, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Coming to Japan on July the 31st, this new player, the second so far to come out is looking good.

To be honest it looks a lot like the existing sony model, but it offers Hi Vision (high definition) TV recording.

I assume to offer this it must have a digital input, something the Sony player doesnt have.
    If they are trying to sell to us that you can record a high def picture through an analog cable then most people wont even bother.

Im sure it will have new functions but at the moment I dont know what those are.

Something that cought my eye was the new 25gig (single side) disks and the newer 50 gig (double side?) disks that offer several hours of high definition recording.

So far I have yet to see playback software. ie a Blu Ray version of a movie.

So, if all we can do is record, there are plenty good cheper recorders out there.
    (ie, Sharps new 400gig HDD hybrid recorder that can also record High deff TV - DV-HRD200)

At 278.000 yen (or 1500 pounds!) and 7000 yen EACH for the new 50gig disks (40quid a disk!)
    I doubt they will get that many customers.

Better wait for second generation Blu ray players!

Feel free to check it out! And give me your thoughts!

Panasonic DMR-E700BD

Attached Files:

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    considering the dvd forum is still sorting the specs for HD-DVD (and i mean that as hidefination dvd and not blue rays rival format) i guess if u do buy these early units you are running the risk of incompatability.

Not to mention as u said its not worth buying unless it has DVI or HDMI for video out/in

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    yep!

Maybe we shoudl start a Blu Ray/HD DVD section in this Forum?
    Or am i being to premature?