1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Panasonic 50PV500 - Scaler Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fuzzb, Aug 21, 2005.

1. fuzzb

fuzzb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I just bought a Panasonic 50PV500 and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on the best scaler to buy for this plasma? I admit I am a home cinema virgin when it comes to scalers, although I have been reading around review and what not these past few weeks.

What I can gather is that the CrystalIO VPS-2300 is the best on the market currently, but then that is reflected in the price. The Plasma Enhancer Pro also looks like a good deal, but I'm not totally sure what it is missing feature wise compared to the CrystalIO.

Here is what I will be connecting to the plasma currently:

X-Box (Component)
    Playstation 2 (Component)
    Dell 9100 HTPC with 7800GTX graphics (DVI, D-Sub or Component)
    Sky+ (possibly with SDI mod, otherwise JSTech Scart -> D-Sub converter)

Future components:

Sony RDR-HXD910 (HDMI)
    X-Box 360 (D-Sub or Component)

Would a scaler really be worthwhile in this situation? The only real advantage I can see would be in the picture quality of Sky+.

Thanks for any input.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Crystalio plus Panasonic equals no no no I'm afraid. Horrid macroblocking ensues which scars an otherwise lovely picture. You will be best looking to the Lumagen camp, where the two DVI inputs will give you the connectivity you require in the future for HD services, HDMI DVD players etc. Sky+ will gain massive improvement, but so will HD services specifically 1080i signals. All signals HD or not will gain from other areas of improvement a video processor offers (fixes colour errors inherent in the signal, far more accurate adjustment of colour, grayscales, gamma, extracts more detail and filters out noise etc etc), but 1080i specifically is never deinterlaced brilliantly by standard processing within plasmas and projectors. Lumagens offer far better 1080i deinterlacing that won't show up nasty deinterlacing errors, combing and other such artefacts. So you will find that even with these HD services, a dedicated unit like the Lumagen will still be essential in getting the best picture from your plasma screen.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I don't get this problem, if you crank the black level up really high you can occassionaly see something, but not when set up properly, and it certainly isn't an issue when using it properly.