1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pace Twin Software Not Very Good.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Spok, Jun 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very dissappointed with the latest download for the Pace Twin. Our box had not crashed at all since the previous update, now, since the latest update, it has crashed four times. We have just come back from a long weekend away to find the machine crashed on the first timer recording and several subsequent recordings not made.

The rewind jumping bug is still there, and I also think the picture quality is poorer than before.

We also had another bug where the box would go into, and stick at, PAUSE, when pressing OK on a programme from the library. The only way out is to press STOP and PLAY again. This bug remains.

The only improvements I can see are the EPG, and the timer clash bug being removed.

All in all, I wish I had not upgraded. I had a work around for the timer bug, and it recorded reliably every time. And the picture was better.

What is going on, Pace? One step forward and five steps back. We are not happy! Is there a way to revert to the previous software?

Spok.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have emailed Pace 3 tines already about this twins@pace.co.uk

My advice is do not buy a Twin until we give the all clear - currently DO NOT BUY A PACE TWIN until we have new software. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Anyone from Pace here?

Yes I have recommended your product and you reward us with a rubbish update which has lost more recordings in one week than I have had since I bought the box. :censored: :censored:

So what is the Thompson box like?

I have a few issues with the Humax which are show stoppers for me.

I think I will have to start using the VTCM40 again!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This has B***ed up my perfectly functional twin, very annoying.

4. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just ordered one of these prior to reading this post. Will it be shipped with the latest update?

Also, what is the update procedure? Do I have to accept the update if its available to be downloaded or is it optional?

Thanks.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    It's unlikely to be shipped with the June software. More probably it will be the original version from March 03. Which is buggy, and has no interactive features.

The upgrade procedure is:

> If the box is on and tuned to a BBC channel
    > If the software is being broadcast (typically this happens for a period of 47 hours about once a month; sometimes less frequent)

Then the box will prompt you that there is a new version and you have the option to take it or not. If you don't take it, you can manually take it later, during the period of transmission. If you miss the transmission, you have to wait until the next, which may either be a repeat, or a new version, depending on the Pace "boffins" (generous term).

Scheduled dates can be obtained from the (www.) pacefreetoview.co.uk website.

6. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it wise to get the update or to leave it with the March 2003 software? Or is it the lesser of two evils?

Also I couldnt find where on the web site it tells you when the updates will be broadcast.

7. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Personally I'd go for the update. As for the next transmission, Pace are presently not saying . . .

pacefreetoview.co.uk - page 2 - sub menu "Twin Digital TV Recorder" - sub menu "Software Updates".

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The new software is like Russian roulette - whereas the October S/W always worked

9. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    the new software is terrible it has not stopped crashing since I downloaded it, I hope we don't have to wait months for a fix because it is unuseable now.

Dave.

10. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have just had a look at pacefreetoview.co.uk and the tickertape says the following:

'The next software download for the Twin Recorder will run from 28th June until 3rd July.'

I wont hold my breath though....

11. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One way to reduce the crashes is to leave the box switched on all the time. Lock-ups occur when it is coming out of stand-by to execute a timer recording. If it is already on this does not seem to happen. As the disk will spin down after a period of inactivity there is no problem with leaving it on all the time.

I do wonder what kind of software testing Pace use. All they had to do was fix the 'timer clash' bug and we would all have been happy. And why did they change the picture? It now seems to have far too much contrast, and no amount of fiddling with my TV controls can correct it.

So Pace, please, please, please - put it back the way it was before.

Spok.

12. barkeral

barkeral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following the latest software update several users have found a vast improvment if a full reset from the menu is performed (not a power off).

This will wipe your disk & remove all channel groups, scheduled timers etc. but is well worth trying if you're having failed recordings etc.

13. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit that I havent experienced many problems yet - mainly as Im not using the unit in anger. However, how do buyers stand with returning the unit and requesting a full refund as the software isnt up to scratch?

I know you can do this with other software (like Microsoft Windows :laugh:) but could you do it with a Pace Twin?

What action are Pace taking about these problems?

14. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pace will download the latest version of software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder from 9.00am. Monday 28th June until 9.00am Saturday 3rd July. :eek:

15. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else noticed Spok's contrast issue? Pace seem unaware of it.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my Oct-03 software.

Thanks

16. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    To me, it doesn't appear to have changed (contrast, I mean) since the first time they tweaked it sometime last year.

I don't have any problems viewing it on my Samsung LCD nor my Sony projector. It looks better than it did before the tweak.

17. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....so is it worth moving up from October s/w? My Twin is pretty stable now, only real problem is the occasional picture freeze with audio continuing while watching a recording (requires a stop and restart of the playback). Really don't want to regress to failed recordings and all the previous problems, so opions from those already upgraded would be appreciated..

thanks

18. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ross

I've got an early twin, probably initial batch and the latest software has been the most stable for me by far. I had a crash within 50 minutes of the upgrade, and I think another a little later when I was demo-ing the changes to the wife, but none since. I would have expected 2 or 3 more in that time frame.

For me, the changes to the EPG mean that I actually use it and the box in general is much more responsive. :thumbsup:

Apart from the box freezing, my main issues were timer clash ( :thumbsup: ), ff/rew skipping ( :thumbsup: ), picture freeze on replay ( :thumbsdow ), non functional news multiscreen ( :thumbsup: ), non functional card reader ( :thumbsdow I doubt we will ever see this), unusable EPG ( :thumbsup: ) and problems locking onto timeshare channels ( :clap: ).

Since the upgrade, I now get picture judder of live TV when muted and I have had picture judder on replay, fixed by stop/start :thumbsdow . Neither are critical, but an annoyance just like picture freeze on replay.

I think I have only had zero length recording after the box froze and I had to unplug it.

I am more happy about the box, but it will take a few months for me not to expect it to crash at every keystroke.

-Ian

19. norfred

norfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my only problem seems to be jumping back to the library when fast forwarding. I have upgraded to 80 gig drive as well as downloading the software. never had this before.
    norfred

20. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't understand why Pace are continuing to offer the new software for download and to make matters worse , over a 5 day period ..... are they trying to ensure they bugger up every twin they have sold.
    My box was working reasonably well with the previous software apart from the odd missed 0sec recording, but now I get the picture freezing when watching tv, the box locking for no apparent reason, a 60gig hard disk full of nothing and worst of all if you pull the plug to reset you lose eveything in that recording ... but you do get a nice message in the library telling you you've had a power disconnection.

How long can Pace keep promising a fix is just around the corner when it looks like 1 step forward and 2 back.
    I have stayed loyal to them and my box is now out of warranty, what rights do I have in order to pursue a claim for compensation, doubt very much if Argos would refund my 350quid.

nal

21. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the latest Software upgrade available to-day a new version or a duplicate of early June.

My box seems pretty good on Octobers version and am debating if i should upgrade.

Thanks

22. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a repeat.

I don't think I'll upgrade from Oct-03 yet.

23. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just bought a twin, the firmware is old (can't remember the date but before October). Aside from MHEG, do people think it is worth me upgrading?

I keep hearing scare stories, if I upgrade will I end up with more serious bugs than I have now (not that I have had time to experience any problems yet)

24. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    According to DTG, it's a repeat.

25. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've stuck with October s/w....lets see what they do next time round.

26. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd go for the update, with the proviso that you leave the machine on on for timed recordings... Use standby only when the machine has no instructions.

27. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One big problem we get is the machine going into 'pause' when you press OK on a programme in the Library. The only way out is to press 'stop' and 'play' again (sometimes several times) to get it to play normally.

Has anyone else had this problem? It was doing it before the latest upgrade but seems to do it more often now.

Spok.

28. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please confirm if pace have broken the ability to record 2 programmes - one to disc and one to VCR/Scart. I've never tried it before, but we tried to setup a recording for Tour de France that would record ITV2 to VCR/Scart, but im, or should I say, my wife is getting a timer conflict with scheduled events for Eastenders on BBC1 :thumbsdow

I thought that it was possibly to simultaneously record two programmes, as long as two or less of: Harddisc, TV/Scart or VCR/Scart were selected for simultaneous output - ie, you were only using two tuners and only recording to harddisc once.

Im guessing it got broken when they fixed the timer conflict bug in the last release.

-Ian

29. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you could have overlapping recording events - ever.

Aren't there two tuners - one playback only, and one playback and record?

30. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace Twin has two tuners, one for recording and one for playback or watching another channel. It has never had the facility to record two programmes at the same time.

When you set up a timer event, you can choose the 'destination', either the internal hard drive or the scart on the back (I cannot remember which one), to which you can connect a recording device such as VCR or DVD recorder. Despite this choice, you can still only have one timer event executing at any one time. Thus you were getting a conflict error when setting your second event for the same time, even though it was set for a different destnation.

This has always been the case and has not been 'broken' by the latest software.

Spok.