New Pace Box & Hitachi Plasma

T2Dex

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Just had my old Thompson box swapped over the a brand new Pace box 2 days ago (the engineer went through 3 unopened boxes before this one worked by the way). But eventually all good working and looked great none of the blocky sticking picture problems the Thompson Boxes developed every six months.

But 2 days later when I switch my TV & Sky box on I get picture from about 2 Seconds then a Blue Screen saying (Display Not compatible with HDCP. Please unplug your HDMI cable) Backup to cancel and call Sky.

If i fiddle about turning off the TV and Sky a few times it comes on fine ?
Also if I turn off both and then turn them on again within about no longer than 10 mins all is well, Any longer then I get that message.

I pulled the power on the Sky box started again and everything fine

But I know when I come in from work tonight it will not work.

Any Ides Guys

Seems the Pace Box aint all we hoped it would be.
I have already had it power off on me once while I was recording 2 programmes .

Not happy at all

Cheers Guys

Dex

Mine is a year old Thompson box. I feed my Sony Bravia upstairs with HDMI (main TV Component) and had this "handshake" problem a few weeks ago.

Pressing Back-Up or Pulling the HDMI lead from the TV only worked temporarily. Eventually I disconnected/re-connected HDMI at the Sky box end and so far the problem is solved.

Last edited:
T2Dex, I notice in your sig that you have a Panny PHD8 linked to your SkyHD box via component. Can I ask why you're using that over the HDMI connection?

I too have a Panny PHD8 and had SkyHD installed at the weekend, but got the HDCP handshake problem. I'm having a different HD box installed on Saturday, but and am wondering what the quality is like using Component.

T2Dex, I notice in your sig that you have a Panny PHD8 linked to your SkyHD box via component. Can I ask why you're using that over the HDMI connection?

I too have a Panny PHD8 and had SkyHD installed at the weekend, but got the HDCP handshake problem. I'm having a different HD box installed on Saturday, but and am wondering what the quality is like using Component.

I assume you meant that for me.............

I prefer the Component connection and have read too many problems on these forums where HDMI is involved. I prefer Sky HD set at Auto and find Component gives a clean transition between SD & HD signals. HDMI spits and splutters.

IMO the picture quality is identical..........but more reliable!

The good thing about the older boxes is that they have BOTH outputs so it is very easy to feed 2 HD TVs with a HD signal. That is why I use HDMI for the TV in the bedroom.

The problem is that the newer HD boxes only have HDMI out which is a backward step in my opinion.:mad:

Last edited:
Sorry, kevmarshall - yes I was talking to you. Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm, now I'm in a dilemma. I currently have an old Thomson HD box with both HDMI and component out while I wait for a new HD box, which you say will be HDMI only.

Do I keep my existing Thomson or wait to see if the new box can solve the HDCP handshake problem? :confused:

Chances are I'll see what happens on the day and pick the one that works.

I get the handshake issue with my PHD9, to get around it I do th efollowing:

1. Leave Sky box on all the time

2. Leave PHD9 turned off, never use standby

3. If sky box turned off then turn this on first followed by PHD9

Don't get the issue any more, but I will swap the box near the end of my 12 month tie in.

1. Leave Sky box on all the time

By this I assume you mean leave it on standby when not in use?

Also just had a read of the sticky post on the Pioneer HDCP problems...looks like they're not the only manufacturers who have the HDCP problem.

Last edited:
Sorry, kevmarshall - yes I was talking to you. Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm, now I'm in a dilemma. I currently have an old Thomson HD box with both HDMI and component out while I wait for a new HD box, which you say will be HDMI only.

Do I keep my existing Thomson or wait to see if the new box can solve the HDCP handshake problem? :confused:

Chances are I'll see what happens on the day and pick the one that works.

Can you try the Thompson box on Component in the mean time? Obviously you will need to have a Component blade in your panel or use a Component to VGA lead, as I have.

Also, as Component only carries Video so you will need to use an Optical Audio cable.

HDMI handshake problems with the new Pace boxes have been reported on other threads as well. Hopefully the people at Pace are keeping up to date with this and working on a fix.

Previous experiences with the Sky + box were that Pace made a very good piece of kit, much faster and more reliable than their competitors. Hopefully they can fix these teething troubles and maintain their reputation.

kevmarshall - Yes, I'm going to try the old Thomson box on component tonight, although I haven't seen a SkyHD HDMI feed with which to compare it.

AV Junky - The HDMI handshake problem was with a new Samsung box (with a Sky+ HD logo on it) that the installer tried first of all.

Cheers Guys

Scarty (You the man will do this until Pace sort it)

Man I hope it works

Thanks again

Dex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom