New owner of an old Sony RDR-HX510 recorder

dardruba

Standard Member
Reaction score
We've an old Sony TV with a Freeview box and we need to tune stations into an old unused Sony RDR - HX510 HDD/DVD recorder.
We can tune in the old 5 analogue stations and enter the old C25 type numbers.
BUT how do we enter the digital stations from the Freeview box into the Sony recorder. The manual being pre Freeview doesnt seem to cover this.

From somewhere on the Forum I got an old tip to put VCR scart to Line 3 and setup Line 1 output to Video, Line 3 input to Video/RGB and Line 3 output to video. Does this still apply now that we have Digital Freeview.

If you connect freeview>dvd>tv via scart then you should be able to record digital channels using the freeview box's tuner.
Your DVD recorder hasn't got a digital tuner so you won't be able to record digital stations directly from it's tuner. For that you would need a recorder with the prefix HXD (if Sony).

Thanks for the quick response.

If I'm watching Channel 28 - ITV4 and I press Rec it doesnt record, thats why I was trying to compile a digital channel list so I could click to record.

So it looks like I've missed something in the Setup.
Is there something I should be correcting?

I have the HX510. 'gpl1968' has already mentioned that since it does not have a built in digital/Freeview tuner you cannot view or record from any digital channels using only the HX510 recorder.

I think what you are trying to (and can) do is record from the separate Freeview set top box using its SCART output. The HX510 will not be able to change the Freeview STB digital channel for you but if you connect a SCART cable from the Freeview STB output to Line 1 SCART on the HX510 you will be able to select that as an input source to record on the HX510.

L1 can then be used to record whatever is coming out of the Freeview STB but it requires the Freeview STB to be switched on and tuned to the channel you wish to record at the time you want to record. If you change the channel on the STB while the HX510 is recording from L1 you will interrupt the program you are recording. It also means that you can only record or watch one digital channel at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom