1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner of a Toshiba 42WH36

Discussion in 'TVs' started by posser, Dec 12, 2003.

1. posser

posser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After months of deliberating on whether to go the RPTV route I have just taken delivery of a Toshiba 42WH36. (Thanks for all of you on this forum who have offered help and advice)

Initial impressions were - wow!

The set replaces a four year old 28inch widescreen Sony Trinitron which looks like a dated portable set next to the impressive Tosh.

This is my first RPTV and I have no regrets whatsoever.

I wanted a large screen; plasma and lcd technology took me way over budget so RPTV was the way to go.

I purchased the set from a local dealer for £1180 (on Barclaycard) who now give me 60 days in which to find the item cheaper elsewhere including the internet. I have already found it for a shade over £1000 and hopefully in the January sales it will come in around the £950 - £975 mark, so I will be expecting at least £200 back from Barclaycard in the new year. :laugh:

After spending the last four years viewing a 28inch screen, the 42 does take some getting used to. The picture quality, given the size of the screen is very impressive and dvd playback is unbelievable. Where my old CRT screen got washed out with the halogen lighting in the living room, the lights have little or no effect on the Toshiba thanks to it's black non reflective screen.

I was a little concerned initially about viewing angles and the distance you need to be away from the screen in order to have a clear picture, however I have had no such problem.

I sit approximately 10ft away from the screen and the picture quality is excellent. This is maintained right up to 3 -4ft away and like Demon said on another thread viewing angles can be as much as 89degrees without unduly affecting the viewing pleasure.

In conclusion - if anyone is after a large screen tv within a budget of £1000 - £1200 then RPTV is the way to go. The Toshiba WH36 series offers excellent value for money. I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

2. Bolle

Bolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds nice!!
    I will recieve my 42WH36 today.
    Cant hardly wait..

3. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I did exactly the same went for a 28" Sony, to the same TV.

Seems massive at first but you do het used to it :)