new owner of a Panasonic 50" G30 - Help needed.

holbrook99

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Panasonic 50 inch G30 and i need some help with the settings and set up etc.
I have a ps3 and a boxee box and use freeview for day to day viewing. At present out of the box im not to happy with the picture etc.
Can somebody give me ideal settings for both? i use the boxee to watch movies and ps3 just for games.

Thanks in advance.

oh no i also have a problem now, forget the settings for now...my problem is this.

i bought my boxee box a few months back and have been using it to watch my movie collection through my external hard drive, the box was connected to my 32" samsung lcd tv and i couldnt have been happier with it, amazing!!

Ive just bought the 50" panasonic G30 and am now having a major problem.

I reset boxee back to factory settings and adjusted the arrows on screen it first asks you to do and i thought everything was cool, however the problem that i am getting is for some unknown reason the screen keeps flicking to a massive picture that is bigger than the screen.

it boots up fine, scroll through the movies and then bang the screen goes huge, movie looks poor, so i exit and then the menu is so big i cant even see the options like settings or standby, flick around for a bit and boom its back to normal...until i put another film on?

Im so confused and really getting annoyed as ive played around with the settings and nothing seems to help. i think it must be something to do with the tv? as it was working fine before. the films always start fine and then after 30 seconds or so, boom...the picture goes huge, streched and looks terrible, lots of things cut off its like the film is showing on a 70" screen but i can only see 50" of it!!!

I really hope that makes sense.

Any ideas?

SORTED!!!!...it was the aspect ratio set to auto on the tv, changed it to 16:9 and now everything is fine, well in that regard anyway...

New problem 1: Im having another problem, in the bottom right corner of the picture im getting a very thin green line flicking accross the bottom right corner of the screen (now and again), its about 5 inches long from right to left, any ideas what that could be?

New problem 2: I think im getting what people are calling brightness fluctuation? im not sure but whats happening is when a scene changes the brightness/colour changes itself after 1 second? then remains the same until the scene changes again?

Thanks again, any help would be greatly appretiated.

Last edited:
I have just bought a Panasonic 50 inch G30 and i need some help with the settings and set up etc.
I have a ps3 and a boxee box and use freeview for day to day viewing. At present out of the box im not to happy with the picture etc.
Can somebody give me ideal settings for both? i use the boxee to watch movies and ps3 just for games.

Thanks in advance.

I got a P42G30 and PS3 (Boxee installed also on my LinuxPC)
I use the calibrated setting on the link below and i am satisfied with it.
Panasonic G30 review - FlatpanelsHD

Attachments

• G30-Calibrated.png
    G30-Calibrated.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 168
thanks for that ill take a look at those settings....is anyone else having similar problems to me (above)...or know of any fixes?

Thanks again

those calibration settings dont seem to cover all options available??? are there any more in depth settings out there?

If anybody can help or offer any advice on my screen problem i would very much appreciate it??? here is a video showing the problem that i am getting.

If anybody can help or offer any advice on my screen problem i would very much appreciate it??? here is a video showing the problem that i am getting.

Panasonic g30 screen issue - any help appreciated - YouTube

That doesn't look good at all! It shouldn't be happening. When do you mostly see it?

As for using settings from someone else's TV, frankly I wouldn't bother. Every TV is absolutely unique and it's highly likely you could make your picture worse, not better, by using them. I've calibrated enough TVs now where guys have used such borrowed settings to know that they're a waste of time. Just yesterday, for example, I calibrated a 46" Samsung D7000. The owner had used settings posted in a respected review (not AVForums) but the level of error in his picture was absolutely huge - at over 30 delta E (a measure of the error in a picture - with errors at 3 and below being invisible to the naked eye, i.e. essentially perfect). I see this time and again. Take my advice, forget about borrowing settings, and read the AVForums review of the G30. Use the suggested picture modes in it. Then go get a good calibration disc like Spears and Munsil or DVE. Use that to run through some basic adjustments, Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint. That will make a big difference to your picture! Then, if you want to make an even bigger impact on your picture save up for a pro calibration (they're not that expensive nowadays). AVForums has just started a Gold Calibrators scheme (calibrators endorsed by this forum - which include some senior reviewers here). Give AVForums a tinkle on the enquiry form here and they'll see you right! I do hope that helps.

Thanks very much, ill have a look to see if i can find a calibration disc somewhere for starters then...

In regards to the green line problem, im not sure exactly when it happens most.

I have a boxee box and a ps3 connected to an amp through hdmi and then 1 hdmi into tv.

It happens intermittently when watching boxee (20 times say through a 2 hour movie), it happens more so when using ps3 i think.

Ive not been able to video the problem because i couldnt predict when it would happen, however that was bbc iplayer on the ps3 that i was watching when it was going constant so filmed it (thats the video you see).

should i send it back?

One thing i think i should mention is prior to this i had a samsung tv and in a similar area of the tv i used to get a broken red line of dots going across the whole width of the tv?? could it be my ps3 or my amp causing the problem or my hdmi cables?

tbh i dont think ive noticed it when watching freeview on the tv....ill watch freeview religiously over the next two days and confirm that though....thanks for getting involved mate.

Right the problem is definatly still there watching freeview with my setup as it is.

I removed the amp from the equation and plugged the ps3 and the boxee directly into the tv, and the problem is still there.

ive now removed the ps3 and the boxee from the tv and am Just using freeview...will report back soon.

Last edited:
everything removed and just watching freeview, PROBLEM STILL THERE!!!!!!...so the only thing plugged in is the aerial? could that cause it, or is it definatly the tv that is the problem?

rang Panasonic and they are saying i can get it repaired!! surely i should get a replacement considering its only a couple of weeks old? what do we think?

Viking Direct...ive rang them and they say i have to wait for a call back from somebody else as the tvs dont come from them or something, ill update when i get somewhere.

Thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom