New or used amplifier.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gwards, Jan 4, 2012.

1. gwards

gwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Looking at buying my first amplifier, for which I have allowed myself to spend up to £400.
    I have had the chance to demo the marantz pm6004 and before purchasing would like to know if better can be had by buying second hand.
    I have been looking around and like the look of the arcam alpha series, and these can be purchased at less than the cost of the marantz, the one I had in mind was the alpha 10. Would this be a better performer?
    I would initially be pairing this amp with dali zensor 1's but only short term as I have my eye on a pair of floorstanders. (rx6's)
    Would be grateful if someone could give their opinion on this, and also give suggestions for other amplifiers that i should be looking at/demo'ing with this budget (although this is more difficult second hand).

2. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you've decided that you'll have a pair of RX6s soon, then I'd give the new Marantz a miss. I think you'll need a bit more wellie to get the MAs singing. I personally am not a lover of either Marantz or Arcam, both a little laid back and unexciting for me. If it were me, I'd go used amp, Roksan Kandy, Musical Fidelity A3 or A3.2, maybe a Naim Nait. All those should be available under £400 and IMO will trounce the other amplifiers you're considering.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth !

3. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Well, i am a lover of Marantz (maybe because i am too laid back :D), but i am in agreement with Steve on this. Something with more grunt for the RX6's.

And s/h will bring more bang for the buck and £400 can bring a lot of bang s/h.

Aside from whats already been mention, I also would be looking at the likes of PM7003, Nad C355 (s/h) and upwards to run the RX6's.
    Cambridge Audio 740a or 840a can also do a proper job but admittedly, not really seen them going s/h. Owners just don't want to let them go.

With that sort of budget s/h gives you a wide choice of amps to choose from, so long as they are up for sale of course.

4. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As Don says, there are many possibilities if going s/h. I agree with the more bang per buck, most of my gear is s/h. I'd caution against pairing Cambridge Audio with the RX6s though. I've not heard them together, but had an Azur 640A a few years ago which I found to be overly bright. The RX6s can lean that way too with the metal tweeter. All I'm saying is have a listen before you make that pairing, just in case they don't gel.

5. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Hmmm.. yes. Good point made there.
    Only heard the MA BR5 myself and found them also to be bright. Even though the RX6 are different beast but are of the same nature.

I also found the same of the CA 640 being of a bright nature too hence why i opted for a Marantz to go with my AE's.

6. gwards

gwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will get myself down to richer sounds and sevenoaks and have a play around with the above.
    Any thoughts on the Harman Kardon HK990? Trying to find a stockist to get a demo and can't find much on here about it; spec wise seems like good value for money. Has anyone had any access to it?

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I'll second the used Naim Nait advice. One of those will destroy anything that Richer Sounds sell.

8. ranide

ranide
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gwards

I would definitely go second hand, I bought all my amps second hand so far with no problem. I am also very satisfied with my arcams (see sig), I can recommend them heartily and used they are in your price range.

9. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I have a Harman Kardon HK990 and it's a superb amplifier with bags of power but I doubt you'll find one for £400.00

Harman-Kardon HD990 CD Player review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of CD players and recorders

Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

Geoff.