• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New or 2nd hand ? (Have speakers moved on much?)

Womp

Novice Member
Hi, my first post here (pls be gentle)

I'm setting up a man cave, I have a projector (Benq1040) And an AV amp (Yamaha RXV579) but need some speakers. I will mostly be using the system for movies rather than music

I have a max budget of £300 and have shortlisted the following

Wharfdale DX-1 5.1 £250 link
Canton movie 75 5.1 £270 link (I can't find anything on google about these)
Second hand m-cube 6.1 £200 link (includes cable and brackets)

I demoed the DX-1 and it was just ok, which I guess is all I can expect at this price range (to be fair it was back to back with a set of £800 speakers at richer sounds)

Would I be better with the 6.1 m-cube for the moment ? They are cheaper and have an extra speaker or have things moved on significantly since the original m-cube?

On another note I have a,ways used richer sounds when buying as they are local and I find them good on price, should I be looking at any other online sites for comparisons or other options?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Speakers technology has not moved much in may years so a good old speaker will still stack up well against current speakers. Monitor Audio, Mission and Morduant Short speakers are often recommended with Yamaha AVRs.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom