New Onkyo 605 - Help Needed

R

RD8477

I was hoping that someone can help me with a few questions regarding the 605 I got recently.

Firstly this is my first av receiver. I am planning on buying a set of 5.1 speakers at the end of January and currently have the receiver connected to an old set of 5.1 Limit speakers and sub. I know these are not the best but it's all I've got for now. The first problem is I don't think I have configured the OHM setting properly as I don't know what the rating is for the speakers as I can't find the manual and cannot get any info on the web for these. I purchased them from Richer Sounds over 6 years ago. Question is will this damage the receiver if it is not correct?

Secondly when I play a game on my 360 and have the AV setting on Game - Dolby Digital, the speech is very faint and can hardly hear any dialogue from the game. When I switch it to Stereo everything is fine but obviously not getting 5.1 sound from the speakers. I also have a problem when I watching tv on my freeview box. I have connected the box to the receiver via the composite leads. I know this isn't ideal for the best sound but I keep getting a "tinny" sound when the receiver is set at either NEO:6 Cinema or PL11 Movie. Any ideas why as when I select stereo all channels etc is sounds ok.

Lastly the 605 seems to heat up really badly. I was told by a guy at Richers Sounds that they do run quite hot and that there is a safety cut off if it gets too hot. That's all well however I'm still concerned at how hot it gets. Not sure if this is happening because I haven't configured something correctly.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated :lease:

B

Babbler

I was hoping that someone can help me with a few questions regarding the 605 I got recently.

Firstly this is my first av receiver. I am planning on buying a set of 5.1 speakers at the end of January and currently have the receiver connected to an old set of 5.1 Limit speakers and sub. I know these are not the best but it's all I've got for now. The first problem is I don't think I have configured the OHM setting properly as I don't know what the rating is for the speakers as I can't find the manual and cannot get any info on the web for these. I purchased them from Richer Sounds over 6 years ago. Question is will this damage the receiver if it is not correct?

Secondly when I play a game on my 360 and have the AV setting on Game - Dolby Digital, the speech is very faint and can hardly hear any dialogue from the game. When I switch it to Stereo everything is fine but obviously not getting 5.1 sound from the speakers. I also have a problem when I watching tv on my freeview box. I have connected the box to the receiver via the composite leads. I know this isn't ideal for the best sound but I keep getting a "tinny" sound when the receiver is set at either NEO:6 Cinema or PL11 Movie. Any ideas why as when I select stereo all channels etc is sounds ok.

Lastly the 605 seems to heat up really badly. I was told by a guy at Richers Sounds that they do run quite hot and that there is a safety cut off if it gets too hot. That's all well however I'm still concerned at how hot it gets. Not sure if this is happening because I haven't configured something correctly.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated :lease:

Cant help with the sound really but I know that it does get exceedingly hot. I have mine with 2 inches above it and no backing/front to the cabinet.

Its the one downside (do a search for onkyo 605 hot or heat on google to see this!).

R

RD8477

Thanks for the info. I did google it and there seems to be loads of people having the same problem. As long as there is a safety cut off then I suppose it should be fine. Just wasnt sure if it was the OHM setting that was causing it.

R

RD8477

Ok I've sorted out the problem I had with the speakers. My bad. School boy error

DenzilTK421

Ok I've sorted out the problem I had with the speakers. My bad. School boy error

What was it then - others may learn from you?
I was going to say that the speech comes from the center speaker only. I thought I'd somehow managed to get rid of the annoying commentators on Tiger Woods golf, only to find the center speaker was disconnected.

R

RD8477

What was it then - others may learn from you?
I was going to say that the speech comes from the center speaker only. I thought I'd somehow managed to get rid of the annoying commentators on Tiger Woods golf, only to find the center speaker was disconnected.

LOL yeah same issue as you. Didn't say initially as I was actually embarrased with myself :oops:

googlebox99

Mine doesn't seem to get as hot as everyone has been making out. I just got it, wondering if they have changed something internally. It gets warm, but the PS3 runs far hotter.

R

RD8477

Mine doesn't seem to get as hot as everyone has been making out. I just got it, wondering if they have changed something internally. It gets warm, but the PS3 runs far hotter.

I've got a PS3 too and if it ran as hot as my Onkyo I would have a panic attack!! Mainly because I got the PS3 in Singapore and if it broke then I'm in big trouble

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom