1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New On-Digital box WORSE problems PLEASE HELP !!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dUnKle, Jun 21, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I had a PHILLIPS box which I owned for just over 18 months, a few weeks ago I started to get very bad picture break up every few minutes from channel 26 onwards.

I contacted On Digital and the man said that the Phillips box would be the problem as it had problems with what he called " High Analogue Signals " ( means nothing to me ) so he arranged for me to have a NOKIA box as a replacement.

This arrived yesterday and not only have things got no better they have in fact got worse :( I now get NO picture at all on any of the channels that had previous breakup in picture and some other channels now have break up :(

Testing the signal I have found that I get a maximum green bar ( no booster, just aerial )on all channels that a frequancy can be found ( 21,31 etc ) but with my old box I would struggle to get even 3 ( and that was with an aerial booster )

Please help

2. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan

Just out on interest have you restored your channnels since you have recieved this new box? To really check the situation re signal strength you do need all six multiplex freq no, to check you press menu,7,1, green, enter uhf, red, this is not an accurate measurment but does give an indication of signals although Nokias do report strong 4 + signals. The measurement you require is signal quality.

Contact Tech support on 0870 241 0393 ask for some more help,if you get stuck come back to me.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Tech support was not much help, he spent ages telling me my nearest transmitter was sutton colfield when I can almost see the Wrekin out of my window.

All the channels ( frequancies ) i can find using signal strength menu give a full green bar, I switched the box on today to find that picture break up was even occuring on BBC1 to the point its unwatchable :(

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I got my Phillips box about 2 years ago it was widely accepted to be the best in terms of signal pick-up. I don't know if the situation has changed but the Nokia was not recommended then. Maybe they have a new one now. Have you checked your aerial installation and connections?

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    any more ideas

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ring Ondigital and insist on PACE 725 box. This is the newest STB on the market and apparently can recieve as low as 33db. I certainly noticed a difference but it would still not pick channel of off Crystal Palace via my communal ariel but receives just fine from my own self installed job on the roof.
    Don't believe what you see on the green lines. They are not calibrated properly and most of them will tell you you have a +4 signal when in reality you have nowhere near that.
    Did you also know that you can have "to much signal"?

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I think my problem may be too much signal. Is there any easy way to correct this ?

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you can get something called an "attenuator" or something which evens out the signal. Check out www.dtg.org.uk for info.

S

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I did some searching and came up with a great site which lists info about ALL the transmitters in the country.

My transmitter is listed as being WREKIN EAST and WEST,

I checked the transmitter thing and am now confused, I am definatly getting a signal on the frequancies transmit from WREKIN WEST ( 21,31,24 and 27 ) and this signal is strong as almost possible.

I get no signal at all for those transmit by WREKIN EAST ( 39,49,42 and 45 ) so I am not recieving this part of the transmitter.

The problem is this, I am not getting any signal at all for channels 53 and 57 which carry the channels that have no picture :(

Will this be a problem of the aerial ? I have a dedicated Wrekin aerial, but I am under the impression that this only gets from 21 to 36 :( This would explain my problems !

Would it be best to get a non dedicated wide band aerial which gets from 21 to 69 and then use an aerial booster to increase the weakened signal ?

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, your aerial is the wrong one. I think you need a full bandwidth type, type W or E I think. That should solve your problem. I think Type E is prefferable to W but it may be wise to ask a qualified engineer.

S