New oled805 and soundbar issue please help

Peter25hughes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

first time poster in need of some help. I have just bought a new Philips 65 inch oled805 and B&O beosound stage soundbar. Which too me was the ideal set up.

I have connected my tv to my virgin media box and to the soundbar via the arc HDMI. I also have a firestick 4K connected via hdmi.
All pretty simple.
However I’m getting some pretty annoying lip sync issues that I can’t for the life of me fix. Looking online and without much knowledge on all the technicalities it seems to boil down to the arc connection which a lot of people complain about.

Things I’ve tried so far:
Flicking it back to the tv speakers the issue disappears
Online reviews rave about the beosound bad people haven’t had sync issues.
I can fix the issue on the virgin box by going into the virgin settings and changing the audio from dolby digital to pcm. Am I losing out on any quality doing this?
I still have a lip sync issue on the fire stick and the fire stick has a lip sync adjustment setting which only seems to make it worse.
built in apps such as prime video also have the lip sync issue
The Philips setting to delay output and offset only has the option to delay the sound coming out. Not the video. It is the video that comes first followed by the sound. It’s not massively out just enough to be distracting.
the soundbar doesn’t have any options to adjust the audio out timings.

surely a brand new tv isn’t fit for purpose if you can’t link up a soundbar without having lip sync issues or at the very least being able to adjust??

It’s driving me insane and would love someone to save the day and help out.
Thanks very much

The dolby digital on the box is the problem, I think. I don''t know if the tv or soundbar needs this.. I don't think so..

thanks, which box do you refer to? what do you mean by the tv or soundbar dont need this? apologies im new to all this AV set up stuff!

thank you

thanks, which box do you refer to? what do you mean by the tv or soundbar dont need this? apologies im new to all this AV set up stuff!

thank you
I have no real knowlodge of all this !!!!!
But,..I bought a philips oled 855 month a go. I had lip-sync with my cable -tv on just the tv.. without soundbar.. I have a decoder for cable-tv.. I think it's called set-top-box ?? Mine is a humax.. And in the end the problem was that the settings on this humax was on "dolby digital" and I had to put it on 'just' "stereo".. And then the lip sync was solved.
I question,?? if the dolby digital can also be done (decoded) on tv or soundbar.. I have no idea if this is someting a humax decoder has to pass through to the tv.. or if this is a feature of working with stereo, what also van be done on the tv or soundbar with the output of "stereo" on the decoder/settop box.

If you have an older surround hifi set that cannot decode the dolby digital.. you need to put the decoder on dolby digital.. But maybe I'm just talking nonsense..

hope anybody can correct this..

Unfortunately a well documented issue with Philips TVs
I've just had a tech out (yesterday) for the very same issue i have been reporting to Philips since July, no fix yet
The problem lies with the TV software, it has an issue where dolby digital signals give a lip sync problem that is behind the picture, so no amount of adjustments on the tv/amplifier will sort it
If you change your settings on your external equipment to PCM it will be fine

Unfortunately a well documented issue with Philips TVs
I've just had a tech out (yesterday) for the very same issue i have been reporting to Philips since July, no fix yet
The problem lies with the TV software, it has an issue where dolby digital signals give a lip sync problem that is behind the picture, so no amount of adjustments on the tv/amplifier will sort it
If you change your settings on your external equipment to PCM it will be fine
thanks how do you find the apps on the tv? amazon prime had lip sync issues on mine

I have got the 805 and I have had/got the same problems with my Sonos Arc sound bar when watching my V6 Box. I have written to Philips and the last time I heard from them was in November when I sent them a diagnosis they asked me complete. I have emailed them back, but I am yet to hear back from them. I was going to sell the Sonos Arc and replace it with the Philips Fidelio B95 or B97 sound bar, but it has not been released still in the UK. Therefore I ordered the HD Fury Arcana in December and it has arrived today, this has fixed the lip sync issues on my V6 box.

Alternative options, you can change your sound on your V6 box from Dolby Digital to PCM, but you will only get stereo sound. The alternative is to use an optical lead. This works and will allow you to play Dolby Sound, however you lose your sound when playing the TV apps such as Netflix, Prime etc. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also worth making sure you're not in 'game' mode. This can make the video lead the audio which obviously cannot be compensated for by delaying the audio.

I have just bought a 55OLED805 and HDMI-ARC is not working at all with my Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar. The soundbar works fine with a new Toshiba TV bought for my daughter. It worked with my previous Samsumg QLED (2015 model), though i would need to add audio delay on the soundbar. I have tried every combination of settings you can think of. I have changed cables, ports, done factory resets but the TV says ‘Cannot switch to Audio System. TV speakers active.’

The optical port works, but I have a terrible delay which cannot be corrected because the video leads the audio. This is reduced but not eliminated by switching to stereo on the TV.

The soundbar has an auto setting for delay (when using HDMI) but this will presumably only work with a TV that supports lip-sync. Lip-sync is optional on HDMI 2.0 so the TV could support it. It would be really good if Philips could a) fix the ARC problem and b) add lip-sync capability (which does not need 2.1, i.e. eARC). This would need a software upgrade. We should all press Philips to add video delay/lip-sync.

I really want to get ARC going so I can watch Netflix/Prime etc. with the soundbar. Has anyone else had these issues and got a fix?

I have just bought a 55OLED805 and HDMI-ARC is not working at all with my Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar. The soundbar works fine with a new Toshiba TV bought for my daughter. It worked with my previous Samsumg QLED (2015 model), though i would need to add audio delay on the soundbar. I have tried every combination of settings you can think of. I have changed cables, ports, done factory resets but the TV says ‘Cannot switch to Audio System. TV speakers active.’

The optical port works, but I have a terrible delay which cannot be corrected because the video leads the audio. This is reduced but not eliminated by switching to stereo on the TV.

The soundbar has an auto setting for delay (when using HDMI) but this will presumably only work with a TV that supports lip-sync. Lip-sync is optional on HDMI 2.0 so the TV could support it. It would be really good if Philips could a) fix the ARC problem and b) add lip-sync capability (which does not need 2.1, i.e. eARC). This would need a software upgrade. We should all press Philips to add video delay/lip-sync.

I really want to get ARC going so I can watch Netflix/Prime etc. with the soundbar. Has anyone else had these issues and got a fix?

This is a known problem to Philips. The best thing you can do is contact Philips and report the issues. I reported it back in September once I received the TV and it has been an on going issue ever since with my sound bar. I have never had any problems with the TV apps, only any external devices such as my V6 Box.

I have recently purchased the HD Fury Arcana. Initially I didn’t want to buy it and don’t think it is right that this is my only solution fixing the issue. The only other option was to watch TV with stereo sound. I do love the TV and I love the sound bar, even though I was considering selling it and replacing it with the new Fidelio B95 or B97 however, I gave up on that idea in December after no signs of any release and that is when I ordered the Arcana.

This is a known problem to Philips. The best thing you can do is contact Philips and report the issues. I reported it back in September once I received the TV and it has been an on going issue ever since with my sound bar. I have never had any problems with the TV apps, only any external devices such as my V6 Box.

I have recently purchased the HD Fury Arcana. Initially I didn’t want to buy it and don’t think it is right that this is my only solution fixing the issue. The only other option was to watch TV with stereo sound. I do love the TV and I love the sound bar, even though I was considering selling it and replacing it with the new Fidelio B95 or B97 however, I gave up on that idea in December after no signs of any release and that is when I ordered the Arcana.

Thanks for the reply Mills82. Philips has come back with all the usual stuff, e.g. different cable, different port, change settings, switch everything off and on, factory reset, software update. Done it all to no avail.

* Did you connect your V6 to the TV and play back via ARC to the soundbar? If so, did that work via ARC or did you have to resort to optical?

* When you played your TV apps, e.g. Netflix/Prime, did that work with ARC to your soundbar and if so, did you get any uncorrectable lip-sync, whether on the TV's multichannel options or just stereo?

Philips need to put out a software update for the 805/855 to allow a video delay setting and to fix the ARC problem. The update needs to support lip-sync (ideally adding eARC but the standard ARC specification also allows lip-sync to be supported as an option, which my soundbar seems to support as well).

Hey guys. Just a quick question about this Dolby problem. Have you ever tried using just the TV internal speakers only to check if the problem is still there? I‘m asking because I‘m experiencing the Dolby delay via the internal TV speakers as I’m not using a soundbar at the moment. My HDMI inputs are a PS5 and an Apple TV. I‘ve read through different forums but most likely all of them were documented with the issue happening using the ARC with a soundbar.

I only have a PVR attached direct to the TV. The PS4 and BT Box go via the Soundbar. I do not see an issue with the PVR but that won't be Dolby. The apps on the TV through the internal speakers are pretty well fine, but that is not quite what you were asking. If I get a moment I will try the PS4 direct to the TV and let you know.

Thanks for the reply Mills82. Philips has come back with all the usual stuff, e.g. different cable, different port, change settings, switch everything off and on, factory reset, software update. Done it all to no avail.

* Did you connect your V6 to the TV and play back via ARC to the soundbar? If so, did that work via ARC or did you have to resort to optical?

* When you played your TV apps, e.g. Netflix/Prime, did that work with ARC to your soundbar and if so, did you get any uncorrectable lip-sync, whether on the TV's multichannel options or just stereo?

Philips need to put out a software update for the 805/855 to allow a video delay setting and to fix the ARC problem. The update needs to support lip-sync (ideally adding eARC but the standard ARC specification also allows lip-sync to be supported as an option, which my soundbar seems to support as well).

My V6 was connected directly to my TV, then my TV to my sound bar via Arc. This gave me lip sync issues. I did try the optical lead from my V6 box to my sound bar, but I lost all sound on my TV apps.

I don’t have any lip sync issues at all when watching the TV apps. Though the only TV app I use now is Netflix, I watch Prime & Disney+ on my 4K Fire Stick. Once Apple up date their Apple TV, I won’t use the TV apps at all. I will get a switch to use with my HD Fury Arcana.

Hey guys. Just a quick question about this Dolby problem. Have you ever tried using just the TV internal speakers only to check if the problem is still there? I‘m asking because I‘m experiencing the Dolby delay via the internal TV speakers as I’m not using a soundbar at the moment. My HDMI inputs are a PS5 and an Apple TV. I‘ve read through different forums but most likely all of them were documented with the issue happening using the ARC with a soundbar.

To be honest I have never tested this.

I only have a PVR attached direct to the TV. The PS4 and BT Box go via the Soundbar. I do not see an issue with the PVR but that won't be Dolby. The apps on the TV through the internal speakers are pretty well fine, but that is not quite what you were asking. If I get a moment I will try the PS4 direct to the TV and let you know.
Would be great if you could do that. If that's the case the whole ARC problem with external sources could be related to the HDMI input Dolby processing, since TV apps don't seem to have lipsync issues anymore.
To be honest I have never tested this.
I think most people with these lipsync issues have never checked this while trying to solve the problem, since there were some big lipsync issues with internal apps as well a while ago, so there was no need to specifically try internal speakers only.

Sorry to hijack here but I’m looking to buy the 65OLED805 and wondering if I would also be at risk of lip sync issues?

Will be using Arc out the TV to feed my Arcam AVR550 for TV / Apps.

Or is this more limited to soundbars and set-top boxes?

Sorry to hijack here but I’m looking to buy the 65OLED805 and wondering if I would also be at risk of lip sync issues?

Will be using Arc out the TV to feed my Arcam AVR550 for TV / Apps.

Or is this more limited to soundbars and set-top boxes?
My issue is very much with Apps running on the TV, such as Netflix, playing back through a soundbar. HDMI Arc to my Yamaha YSP-2500 simply does not work, though I can send video from the soundbar (e.g. PS4 plugged into the soundbar) to the TV and that works. I can send sound from the TV to the soundbar via optical, but there are significant lip-sync issues (less so if just sending stereo). Whether there would still be lip-sync issues if ARC worked I cannot be sure, but there is no adjustment to delay video on the TV, which is what is required as the video leads the audio.

There are no lip-sync issues when playing Netflix or just BBC etc. to the TV speakers.

I have contacted Philips and they are looking into it.

Otherwise, the TV is very good. The picture and the motion compensation are very impressive. The TV sound is good (woofer is very impressive for a TV), but clearly not going to give surround sound etc. The ambilight (though it does need an appropriate background) can be effective, but that is a very much down to personal taste. Of course, the other big plus is HDR10+ and Dolby Vision capability, whereas some TVs have one or the other. The lack of HDMI 2.1 is a shame. I would like to think they could at least add eARC through a firmware upgrade, which means lip-sync capability, but lip-sync could also be supported via the HDMI 2.0 standard (as it is on my YSP-2500). What HiFi said that in the past Philips TVs had been let down at first release, but improved as time has gone by with firmware upgrades. They said that wasn't the case with the 805, but from reading the review, they did not use with a soundbar. I believe the 805 is in need of a firmware update to hopefully sort out the soundbar ARC issue (I am not sure if it is just the Yamaha or whether other soundbars will have an issue) and the lip-sync.

My issue is very much with Apps running on the TV, such as Netflix, playing back through a soundbar. HDMI Arc to my Yamaha YSP-2500 simply does not work, though I can send video from the soundbar (e.g. PS4 plugged into the soundbar) to the TV and that works. I can send sound from the TV to the soundbar via optical, but there are significant lip-sync issues (less so if just sending stereo). Whether there would still be lip-sync issues if ARC worked I cannot be sure, but there is no adjustment to delay video on the TV, which is what is required as the video leads the audio.

There are no lip-sync issues when playing Netflix or just BBC etc. to the TV speakers.

I have contacted Philips and they are looking into it.

Otherwise, the TV is very good. The picture and the motion compensation are very impressive. The TV sound is good (woofer is very impressive for a TV), but clearly not going to give surround sound etc. The ambilight (though it does need an appropriate background) can be effective, but that is a very much down to personal taste. Of course, the other big plus is HDR10+ and Dolby Vision capability, whereas some TVs have one or the other. The lack of HDMI 2.1 is a shame. I would like to think they could at least add eARC through a firmware upgrade, which means lip-sync capability, but lip-sync could also be supported via the HDMI 2.0 standard (as it is on my YSP-2500). What HiFi said that in the past Philips TVs had been let down at first release, but improved as time has gone by with firmware upgrades. They said that wasn't the case with the 805, but from reading the review, they did not use with a soundbar. I believe the 805 is in need of a firmware update to hopefully sort out the soundbar ARC issue (I am not sure if it is just the Yamaha or whether other soundbars will have an issue) and the lip-sync.

Thanks. Just curious to know if I’d see these issues with my Arcam and KEF 5.1.2 set up or its just soundbars.

Waiting to see if it may drop in price with new models later in the year

That’s one of the reasons I dislike soundbars, lip sync issues are so common (in all brands). Connectivity issues, more remotes and cable, clutter, “is it on or is it off?”, really pricey for what they are etc for me they're just not worth the hassle unless its a factory paired unit like the 935 or Panasonic oleds.

I have the 805 which sounds decent with an active sub.

Did you try using the PS4 to check if there‘s a sound delay on the TV speakers using the Dolby (Bitstream) format on PS4?

I have undertaken some more experiments as follows:

PS4 to YSP-2500 soundbar to TV with HDMI delay on soundbar set to auto

Source Youtube (clip from Gemini Man)
* PS4 set to Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS) no delay on any setting
Source blu-ray (Star Trek Beyond recorded in Dolby Atmos)
* PS4 set to Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS) no delay on any setting
Source Netflix (Gotham)

PS4 to TV to YSP-2500 (optical as ARC not working, HDMI delay on soundbar set to 0mS as no auto available)

Source blu-ray (Star Trek Beyond recorded in Dolby Atmos)
* Every combination (nine off) of PS4 set to Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) or Bitstream (DTS) and TV set to stereo (uncompressed), multichannel and multichannel (bypass) no delay on soundbar (did not check for delay on TV) !!!

Source Netflix (Gotham)
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (Dolby) TV to stereo (uncompressed) soundbar some delay (unacceptable)
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (Dolby) TV to multichannel (bypass) soundbar dreadful delay
  • PS4 set to Linear PCM TV to multichannel (bypass) soundbar slight delay (just about acceptable)
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (DTS) TV to multichannel (bypass) soundbar slight delay (just about acceptable)
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (DTS) TV to stereo (uncompressed) soundbar slight delay (just about acceptable)

Source Youtube (clip from Gemini Man)
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (DTS), TV to stereo (uncompressed), multichannel or multichannel (bypass) soundbar slight delay (acceptable), TV no delay
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (Dolby), TV to stereo (uncompressed) soundbar slight delay, TV slight delay
  • PS4 set to Bitstream (Dolby), TV to multichannel or multichannel (bypass) soundbar dreadful delay, TV slight
  • PS4 set to Linear PCM, TV to stereo (uncompressed), multichannel or multichannel (bypass) soundbar no delay, TV no delay

The above results are very interesting, in partcular when using the blu-ray to the TV and back to the soundbar. For there to be no delay no matter what the settings is surprising. I can only guess that the video sent to the TV from the blu-ray requires less processing than when sent from youtube or Netflix.

Why the big difference between Bitstream Dolby compared to Bitstream DTS and Linear PCM?

In any case, the ARC is still not working and I still get significant delay from TV apps to soundbar other than when using stereo which is still not right.

And just as an aside, the YSP-2500 does not pass through HDR (so meaning you need to go to TV and back to soundbar). I contacted Yamaha a while back as they should have put out a firmware update for this, but they said they would not. Given HDR became part of the HDMI spec just a year after the 2500 came out, I think this is disgraceful. I will never buy Yamaha again.

Just installed and had the briefest of checks. The ARC is still not working, though not had a chance to check the delay issue. From the Philips website release notes for this upgrade, there is no mention of anything related to HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom