Question New OLED TV - Xbox One S - 4K Blu Rays?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by daniel9789, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Tags:
  1. daniel9789

daniel9789
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just spent my pocket money on buying an LG 55'' B8 OLED TV. Well out of budget but meh, live once and all that!
    I already own an Xbox One S but have ZERO 4K Blu Ray content (i do have Sky Q and Netflix 4K).

Now i wanted to get the most of out my TVs picture quality and purchase a couple of nice 4K Blu Rays to show it off but i have some questions ..

Is my Xbox One S up to the task, or honestly hand on heart will it just look rubbish? - Would an Xbox One X be better? I dont 'really' want to have to buy a dedicated player, i dont use it enough.

Secondly, what films are recommended to showcase the 4K capabilities?
    Thank you in advance

2. Matsy

Matsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The S is a more than capable 4k player.
    The X isn't going to change anything.
    You will only see a difference with a PROPER 4k player (not the entry level cheap ones)
    Its been debated everywhere but I think the general thought it that the xbox can play 4k fine its only once you get into the OPPO range can you notice anything.

3. daniel9789

daniel9789
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Appreciate that, so an X is not an 'upgrade' from the S in the sense of 4K Blu Ray quality?

4. Matsy

Matsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There is no difference in terms of the 4k Blu-Ray playback as far as I know.
    Its purely a hardware upgrade for higher res/framerate gaming etc

5. Stuart

Stuart
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,023
    I believe Xbox one doesn't yet support Dolby Vision for Blu-ray yet. I'm in a similar position as OP having picked up both a new OLED TV & Xbox (in Black Friday deals). I won't be buying many Blu-ray discs so I think this will suffice for me until higher end players come down in price at least.

6. daniel9789

daniel9789
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks folks!

When you say a 'proper' player, is there a minimum accepted model or do i need to spend big bucks?

7. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    You just want one with Dolby Vision support. Xbox One S/X does not support Dolby Vision for 4K Blu-rays. I am after a DV Blu-ray player myself.

I have read some issues with some not auto switching between HDR10 and DV, requiring the user to select this option. I think there are some that auto switch, but I think these are very expensive last I looked.

I am using my Xbox One X as my 4K Blu-ray player for now (same as the S for movie playback).

I've watched a couple of discs. My absolute top recommendation so far is John Wick Chapter 2, it looks absolutely stunning on my C8. Just the opening scene with car chases and fighting in the massive puddles in the dark. Just so much depth to the picture, almost felt like I could reach out and flick the puddles lol. The first film is very good also, you should be able to get the two in a double-pack.

8. flashf1

flashf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    What's a proper UHD Blu-ray player? I would say one that is built specifically for playing UHD blu-rays. An Xbox is a games console with Blu-ray capability and does a decent job, albeit with a horrible menu/interface, using game controller etc. I have the Sony X700 and consider it a "proper" UHD Blu-ray player, it 100% (to my eyes) looks better than the Xbox one S, tad more sharp, better motion. Sure the Oppo and new Panasonic well reviewed, but I think you're firmly into "diminishing returns" territory at that stage, just my opinion.

9. rborhara

rborhara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42