New Oled tv - which one?

majkom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I do consider buying new oled tv to replace LG 65C9, but cant decide which/what to do.

Possible choices:
Sony 65a83k - always loved sony picture and motion handling, aqustic surface could be sufficient and no need for soundbar (is it really that good? All i want is good stereo, acceptable sound and good speech clarity)
Panasonic 65jz980 - cheapest panasonic but with panasonic calibration, always been tempted by that almost calibrated picture
Samsung qe65s95b - qd oled for price of ordinary sony oled, sounds interesting, like another leap from ordinary oled
Philips 65oled806 - ambilight, static logo burnin prevention

A expect that for all except sony one i would have to buy soundbar. Usage typical - movies, cartoons, some sport events, some ps5 gaming.

Fears:
sony - heard about aggressive abl while playing games, screen dimming etc - is it really an issue, never noticed dimming while playing on my lg c9, so does sony dim more or i wont notice that at all, and sound, if sound is not good enugh, would have to buy soundbar so one of benefits is gone
panasonic - is it better at all vs my lg c9?
samsung - is it really next big thing, is samsung oled good? Isnt picture too cartoony as samsung used to be? Isnt there too aggressive abl as i have seen several reviews mentioning it, no dolby vision, is that an issue?
philips - os is probably totatally laggy, dont know anything about picture quality or how bad or good is it for ps5 gaming, stand is too low so no soundbar is possible

in general, does it event make any sense to upgrade from c9? (My motivation is - i am moving, so selling it would mean less hussle with moving and makes oportunity to buy new one AND as iam unable to hook tv on wall in new flat, c9 has too low stand for any soundbar, BUT if it is totally non sense to upgrade to any of these, i would probably just move c9 to new flat and buy custom stand)

any ideas guys? Any comment is appreciated;)

Personally I would just keep the C9 and have another few years out of it I don't think you'll see much of a ungrade if any at all

So LG C9 is sold, looking for new tv:)

Any idea if 25% premium for jz1000 is worth it vs jz980? Been thinking about panasonics or sony a80k… a80k without soundbar vs panasonic with (probably samsung q930b). What would you choose?

I would look at the LG C2 as well.

Panasonics are cheap as their are last year model. Lg c2 with soundbar is more expensive than sony without… at least here where i live

The Panasonic JZ1000 will probably give you the best out of the box picture I've had a 65in Panasonic gz950 for 3 years now and I'm still very happy with it I won't get a newer model because I don't think there would be much difference in picture quality

But is paying more for jz1000 over jz980 readonable?

But is paying more for jz1000 over jz980 readonable?
I've never seen the JZ1000 or the JZ880 side by side so I couldn't say what the picture quality would be I would suspect it would be very little different so it would be up to you to decide if it's worth it some people would pay the extra for a slight improvement others wouldn't think it was worth it.

It is 1180 eur vs 1550 eur here and differences i found are swivel stand and master hdr oled panel in jz1000… and that is probably it

Guys, if you coud have lg c2 or samsung s95b for same price, which one would you choose?

You're going about this at the wrong time of year as TV prices work in cycles. We're currently in the more expensive time to buy as the 2022 models are still new and the 2021 models have sold through.

The best time to buy is in the spring when you can get last year's models for 40-50% off their new price. The differences year on year as far as picture quality and features are minimal.
TVs don't start getting proper discounts until the Black Friday sales.

Last edited:
Will wait for Black Friday I just watch freeview HD channels and YouTube and the BBC weather ladies

You're going about this at the wrong time of year as TV prices work in cycles. We're currently in the more expensive time to buy as the 2022 models are still new and the 2021 models have sold through.

The best time to buy is in the spring when you can get last year's models for 40-50% off their new price. The differences year on year as far as picture quality and features are minimal.
TVs don't start getting proper discounts until the Black Friday sales.
I know that, but here where I live there are still 2021 models availabke. Moreove, there are deals for 2022 almost as good as best deals during BF here where i live… probably will go with c2

So it is now panasonic or sony. 65jz980/1000/1500 or 65a83k - can not decide.
jz90 is for fantastic price jz1500 a bit cheaper than sony, sony got aqustic surface… no idea which one to buy;)

well it is basically 55a80j or 55c2 or 65jz980 - cant decide about size, had 65 but in new flat 65 seems to be too big... leaning towards sony 55incher

The obvious answer is a 77"

I sit 9ft from a 65", it's fine. I'd go larger next time I change.

83" it is then.

Glad we've got that sorted.

Regardless of what you choose, you get used to the size very quickly and going smaller than you're used to, well I know it would annoy me. I had to sub my 65" for a 50" for a few weeks and it was very noticeable.

83" it is then.

Glad we've got that sorted.

Regardless of what you choose, you get used to the size very quickly and going smaller than you're used to, well I know it would annoy me. I had to sub my 65" for a 50" for a few weeks and it was very noticeable.
I've almost always gone up a step over the years, 42", 50", 65", and now 77" and the size difference is usually noticeable on the first few days before you become accustomed to it.

I still notice quite a big difference between my 77" and my old 65" with 16:9 content though, but so much of my viewing is not in 16:9 these days and it's usually when my kid is watching some animated show on Netflix that I go, "holy crap, that looks huge!"

So, I still have a feeling that I'm not quite satisfied. I wish my budget had stretched to an 83" and at a 3m viewing distance, that may have been okay... or would it? I used to have a 104" screen/JVC projector setup in a dedicated theatre space and we sat about 3m from that. It was enormous and absolutely awesome but it forever spoiled me and left my living room TV experience feeling a little underwhelming. :/

So bought 55a80j, must say 55 is ok… but having buyers remors, had chance to buy 55a90j but chose 80j.. and just have feeling it is not quite bright.. now there are ni good deals for 90j, but eg philips 55oled936 is for nice price here.. would any one swap sony for philips? I mean, i want tv with decent soud so no need for soundbar (for movies and games i do have headphones), i will use atv 4k som ooerating system/apps in tv i dont care about as well…

The 90J might be brighter, but it's far from night and day. The A80J is actually slightly brighter in SDR mode.

If I was going to upgrade it I'd go with a 65A80J over a 55A90J.

Shut your blinds or curtains a bit and it's plenty bright enough.

The only regret I'd have is buying now rather than waiting for Black Friday/Xmas deals.

hm, so a80j is fine, but probably gonna return it and have to decide between a90j and jz2000, tough choice

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom