Question new oled tv - which one

majkom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, been discussing here some TVs and now, would like to buy successor to my LG 55b7 oled tv (will pass it within family), I thought that I would go for 65inch one, but made decision that 55inch will by ok for now.

So, what do I want/what matters to me:
- picture quality and movement processing - want best possible picture and really hate any stutter/judder - my main sources of content are: Netflix, itunes movies (used to have old LED flagship 905A with 240Hz display and liked motion processing there:), but now after I experienced OLED I cant go bad to nonOLED tv)
- sound - i would prefer good sounding TV - if it is possible to get decent sound without soundbar, great - otherwise, will buy some decent soundbar (so Tvs with better sound system are battling with Tvs without + soundbar)- My b7 got horrible sound, usually it is quite difficult to enjoy movie as I can not hear all sound effect or music or dialogues are hard to understand/hear
- gaming - from time to time, I like to play on PS4/Xbox one - ps5 on the way - like 10 percent of usage max
- if TV will have apple tv app- would be fine, so I could get rid of apple tv box

TV (and soundbar if I will go that way) will be mounted on wall. So now, candidates:

LG 55C9
+ web os (apple tv app), great input lag for gaming
- needs soundbar (any suggestion?)

LG 55E9
+ web os (apple tv app), great input lag for gaming, good sound (is it good enough that I could use it without soundbar?)
- pricey (but if no need for soundbar would not have to spend for soundbar and could sell my apple tv)

Sony 55AG8
+ aqustic surface, sony motion processing
- no apple tv app, high input lag, android (little bit scared of laggy os), read that burn-ins are quite often

Panasonic 55GZ950
+ arguably best picture (without callibaration), low input lag
- needs soundbar (any suggestion?), no apple tv app

Panasonic 55gz1500
+ arguably best picture (without callibaration), low input lag,soundbar
+ no apple tv app, not sure whether soundbar is good enough (dont want to spend morefor gz1500 and then finds out I need to buy soundbar as well)

Philips 55OLED934
+ good soundbar, ambilight (will give it a try)
- high input lag, heard bad things about 24p movies on philips, android/unstability of philips implementation, soundbar does not work properly with dolby atmos (someproblem with bass)

So, these are all ones I would like to choose from - and I can get all of them for +-same price (I mean, some does not need soundbar, some has apple tv app so i can sell my apple tv box, some can bebought with special gifts i can sell and so on...), so really I just need to choose best option here:)

Eg. can anyone sort them by sound quality? and so on? any discusiion is welcome, anyopinion is welcome... i know that I have to make decision, but any insight may be helpful:)

PS: worthy mentions are 55ag9 and 55gz2000, but these are quite pricey... (and is AG9 any better than AG8 exept it has slightly better input lag and apple tv app integrated?)

Did you read this?
We round-up the best TVs we have reviewed in 2019 and sort them out into 15 categories from Home Cinema to Best Overall TV. Click to find out who the winners are... Read the news.

I will also say that try to decide what is the top 2 most important things for you plus your budget and environment...don't confuse yourself with too many spec and analysis (i know, it is addictive).
What i will say is that i don't need a soundbar with my pana...just boost it with occasionally (wired or bluetooth speakers...). all about budget and space really...

I also have no idea what the virus did to the 2020 TV prices...not good from what i heard...
Based on your post, the options are obvious...i think ;)
Tell me what would be your top 2 if you refine your requirements to essential.

My B7 has had numerous issues recently and so have been offered a replacement. Having researched OLED to infinity the last few days I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing out there that is much of an upgrade. It has been minor adjustments the last few years. I am going with a B9 as even 2020 screens seem like they have little to warrant paying more for.

My B7 has had numerous issues recently and so have been offered a replacement. Having researched OLED to infinity the last few days I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing out there that is much of an upgrade. It has been minor adjustments the last few years. I am going with a B9 as even 2020 screens seem like they have little to warrant paying more for.

Yes I have seen that video and pretty much every video on youtube regarding comparisons. No differences big enough to write home about. When professional callibraters say only minimal differences are visible when displays are literally next to each other its safe to say the difference is going to be invisible to 99% of consumers in their homes.

I think OLED has stagnated at this point.

Hi there, been discussing here some TVs and now, would like to buy successor to my LG 55b7 oled tv (will pass it within family), I thought that I would go for 65inch one, but made decision that 55inch will by ok for now.

So, what do I want/what matters to me:
- picture quality and movement processing - want best possible picture and really hate any stutter/judder - my main sources of content are: Netflix, itunes movies (used to have old LED flagship 905A with 240Hz display and liked motion processing there:), but now after I experienced OLED I cant go bad to nonOLED tv)
- sound - i would prefer good sounding TV - if it is possible to get decent sound without soundbar, great - otherwise, will buy some decent soundbar (so Tvs with better sound system are battling with Tvs without + soundbar)- My b7 got horrible sound, usually it is quite difficult to enjoy movie as I can not hear all sound effect or music or dialogues are hard to understand/hear
- gaming - from time to time, I like to play on PS4/Xbox one - ps5 on the way - like 10 percent of usage max
- if TV will have apple tv app- would be fine, so I could get rid of apple tv box

TV (and soundbar if I will go that way) will be mounted on wall. So now, candidates:

LG 55C9
+ web os (apple tv app), great input lag for gaming
- needs soundbar (any suggestion?)

LG 55E9
+ web os (apple tv app), great input lag for gaming, good sound (is it good enough that I could use it without soundbar?)
- pricey (but if no need for soundbar would not have to spend for soundbar and could sell my apple tv)

Sony 55AG8
+ aqustic surface, sony motion processing
- no apple tv app, high input lag, android (little bit scared of laggy os), read that burn-ins are quite often

Panasonic 55GZ950
+ arguably best picture (without callibaration), low input lag
- needs soundbar (any suggestion?), no apple tv app

Panasonic 55gz1500
+ arguably best picture (without callibaration), low input lag,soundbar
+ no apple tv app, not sure whether soundbar is good enough (dont want to spend morefor gz1500 and then finds out I need to buy soundbar as well)

Philips 55OLED934
+ good soundbar, ambilight (will give it a try)
- high input lag, heard bad things about 24p movies on philips, android/unstability of philips implementation, soundbar does not work properly with dolby atmos (someproblem with bass)

So, these are all ones I would like to choose from - and I can get all of them for +-same price (I mean, some does not need soundbar, some has apple tv app so i can sell my apple tv box, some can bebought with special gifts i can sell and so on...), so really I just need to choose best option here:)

Eg. can anyone sort them by sound quality? and so on? any discusiion is welcome, anyopinion is welcome... i know that I have to make decision, but any insight may be helpful:)

PS: worthy mentions are 55ag9 and 55gz2000, but these are quite pricey... (and is AG9 any better than AG8 exept it has slightly better input lag and apple tv app integrated?)

After some research, I recently bought a LG OLED 65C9 myself.

Out of the two LG’s, i would go for the C9 instead of the E9. The soundbars are decent, but with a TV like these, you want a matching sound system if you ask me. Getting a E9, and a 5.1 / 7.1 system later on, doesn’t make sense.

Besides, wall mounting a C9 will look cleaner to me than wall mounting a E9. But that might be personal preference.

Picture quality and so on is the same on both TV’s.

and what soundbar did you buy to complement C9? or did you buy avr and spekaers? for me, soundab is only possible solution - space and toddlers in the house:)

and what soundbar did you buy to complement C9? or did you buy avr and spekaers? for me, soundab is only possible solution - space and toddlers in the house:)

I'm currently running a Sonos 5.1 setup (Beam, Sub and two Sonos one's).

Sound wise, its good, but there is better alternatives (read: supported codecs etc..).
But the convenience, looks etc... made me decide to go the Sonos route for our livingroom.

Rumors are, Sonos is going to release a Dolby Atmos soundbar next week, which is good news for Sonos home theatre owners.

There is plenty of soundbar options, all depends on what you're looking for.
For a decent Dolby Atmos experience, worth considering are the Samsung Q90R, or its cheaper sibling Q80R. If you have money to burn, look into the Sennheiser Ambeo.

If you want the real thing though, consider going complete 5.1.(2/4) or 7.1.(2/4).
For more info on that, take a look at the audio specific forums, there is a ton of info on there.

EDIT:

Only noticed now that a 5.1 / 7.1 set isn’t an option for you.
Well, if all you want is a soundbar and you‘re not planning on getting a full set later, the LG OLED E9 is definitely an option. There is nothing wrong with that tv, dont get me wrong. The bar just doesn’t make sense if you don’t use it because of a surround set.

Check into Sonos, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Yamaha, LG etc..
Read up on reviews, there is tons of soundbars around all with their strong points and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Thx.. i am currently deciding between panasonic and lg - sony and philips is out of the game...
And still not sure about 55 vs 65inch... tough, but seeing how much i would have to pay for additional 10inches i am almost sure it is gonna be 55incher...

E9 or C9+soundbar/gz1500 or gz950+ soundbar - all these will cost approx same.

LG big benefit is web os, panasonic has better out of the box picture. And thats it:)

Last edited:
Thx.. i am currently deciding between panasonic and lg - sony and philips is out of the game...
And still not sure about 55 vs 65inch... tough, but seeing how much i would have to pay for additional 10inches i am almost sure it is gonna be 55incher...

LG big benefit is web os, panasonic has better out of the box picture. And thats it:)

id say c9 + soundbar will be noticeably stronger than e9.
lgs other key strength is hdmi 2.1 which could be very beneficial for future game consoles.
my gz950 + soundbar is superb but not as future proofed as the LG.

At what distance are you seated from the TV?

General 'rule', If you have the cash to spend and wonder whether you want a 55 or a 65 inch, do yourself a favor and go for the biggest one you can afford.

TVs feel enormous first, but you get used to it very quickly.

I don't have experience with Panasonic, I did own a few LG OLED televisions however, and they're awesome.

It is not about cash to spend, i would say it is about willingness to spend;) got 55inch and i am ok with it.

will have to decide soon, which out of those 4 options seems best to me.

I would definitely go for the cheapest OLED you can get and put the rest of it into sound.

The differences between all the TVs are going to be small compared to a solid investment in a good set of speakers.

The safest OLED to get is the LG due to the HDMI 2.1 ports but for PQ/Motion, I feel Panasonic probably offer the best package or Sony alone for motion.

But yeah, I'd definitely try and settle on:
1. Can you budget to a 65'' OLED (if so, do it)
2. Addressing sound issue

A solid 2.1 sound setup just to get you going will blow your mind in terms of experience. Then.. it just gets expensive as you add more speakers until you finally have an atmos setup with sound attacking you from every single angle and your subwoofer causing your room to shake.

C9 or GZ950 both great TVs I've got a GZ950 and love it I've had two soundbars in the past and have had hdmi connection problems with my old LG 930v oled and my new Sony str-dn1080 avr. With the GZ950 and the Sony avr everything works perfectly.

This! I am scared of connection problems.. have had ms550 soundbar via hdmi arc to my lgb7 and from time to time, it disconect... this probably wont happen with e9:)

so,it is now C9 vs gz950... and I really do not have idea which one to choose:)
I am really tempted by panasonic out of the box picture quality as I am sure I will not find time/will to play with settings, on the other hand, I would really like LGs apple tv app - all in one,noneed for additional box (I do watch netflix and apple movies) andthanks to that, LG would be little bit cheaper...

cant decide, maaan..

what soundbars would you recommend for each of them? should one buy same brand soundbar to get rid of sync problems? or it wont help? would erac soundbar definitely be synced with C9? budget for soundbar is lets say 400EUR (500 EUR max. if it makes really difference)

so,it is now C9 vs gz950... and I really do not have idea which one to choose:)
I am really tempted by panasonic out of the box picture quality as I am sure I will not find time/will to play with settings, on the other hand, I would really like LGs apple tv app - all in one,noneed for additional box (I do watch netflix and apple movies) andthanks to that, LG would be little bit cheaper...

cant decide, maaan..

what soundbars would you recommend for each of them? should one buy same brand soundbar to get rid of sync problems? or it wont help? would erac soundbar definitely be synced with C9? budget for soundbar is lets say 400EUR (500 EUR max. if it makes really difference)

Let me decide for you, go for the LG OLED C9:

• Picture quality almost identical to the gz950, the differences are so small you wont notice.
  • WebOS on the LG is great, so you could possibly sell your Apple TV.
  • Cheaper, so cash can to towards soundbar.

As for soundbar, (depending on room size a little) go for a Sonos Beam, why?

• Because i sense that you don't like tinkering with settings and setting things up to optimize. Uses an app on your phone to control settings etc...
  • You're not into 5.1 / 7.1 sets, the Beam works solo, wheres some other bars are coupled with a subwoofer and rears (kids around the house)
  • Sonos Beam barely has any cables (ARC), just a HDMI/optical cable and a power cable which i guess is also a good thing with your kids around.
  • Small footprint and wall mountable, two colors black/white.
  • Is easily expandable later on, if you change your mind and want an additional subwoofer, a full set or just a couple speakers around the house.
  • Possibly big updates on the horizon with Sonos S2 releasing (higher codecs etc..)
  • Fits perfectly in your budget of 400 euro.
Someone else probably has a different opinion, but looking at your situation, needs and budget. I would probably opt for this combo.

EDIT: Fixed some typo's

Just on soundbar bit, if you consider sonos they are rumoured to be announcing a new soundbar on 6th May, so may be worth waiting to see that announcement if you fancy a sonos. I've had the playbar for about 5 years and love it.

Just on soundbar bit, if you consider sonos they are rumoured to be announcing a new soundbar on 6th May, so may be worth waiting to see that announcement if you fancy a sonos. I've had the playbar for about 5 years and love it.

True, but i left this out because of the budget of 400 euro.
The new playbar will most likely see a pricetag of 800+

Let me decide for you, go for the LG OLED C9:

• Picture quality almost identical to the gz950, the differences are so small you wont notice.
  • WebOS on the LG is great, so you could possibly sell your Apple TV.
  • Cheaper, so cash can to towards soundbar.

As for soundbar, (depending on room size a little) go for a Sonos Beam, why?

• Because i sense that you don't like tinkering with settings and setting things up to optimize. Uses an app on your phone to control settings etc...
  • You're not into 5.1 / 7.1 sets, the Beam works solo, wheres some other bars are coupled with a subwoofer and rears.
  • Sonos Beam barely has any cables (ARC), just a HDMI/optical cable and a power cable which i guess is also a good thing with your kids around.
  • Small footprint and wall mountable.
  • Is easily expandable later on, if you change your mind and want an additional subwoofer, a full set or just a couple speakers around the house.
Someone else probably has a different opinion, but looking at your situation, needs and budget. I would probably opt for this combo.
I am a pana owner but have to agree with the C9 choice mainly because of HDMI 2.1 as more future proof. THE OS is also better but I compensate with Amazon stick...
No brainer if it is cheaper than pana. Pana picture accuracy is to die for but you could get your LG quite accurate with some tweaking.
As for sound, my advice is buy NOTHING now...
Play with your C9 and experiment all options (none, bluetooth speakers and cheap HIFI one box solutions, soundbar atoms,...).

One last point, go 65 if you can and based on your environment....as long as differential versus 55 is no more than 500-600.

True, but i left this out because of the budget of 400 euro.
The new playbar will most likely see a pricetag of 800+
Sorry didn't even see parts about budget! You are right think new sonos soundbar will cost a fortune, but could force some good offers on the current soundbar which is still great!

yeah, mind tells c9, heart gz950:)
regarding beam - sure,it was first in my shortlist, until I found it cant work with DD+/atmos which is dominant for services I use.. i heard about possible fw update, but, until it is done, i dontwant to buy it...

regarding C9 speakers, look, i do have b7 and it is horrible, does C9 soundsthat much better? doubt it...

regarding 55vs65 - still cant decide, too often toddlers go near the tv and65 would be even worse for their sight, i guess

yeah, mind tells c9, heart gz950:)
regarding beam - sure,it was first in my shortlist, until I found it cant work with DD+/atmos which is dominant for services I use.. i heard about possible fw update, but, until it is done, i dontwant to buy it...

regarding C9 speakers, look, i do have b7 and it is horrible, does C9 soundsthat much better? doubt it...

regarding 55vs65 - still cant decide, too often toddlers go near the tv and65 would be even worse for their sight, i guess

No matter the codec/format, you will get stereo out of your Beam.
5.1 isnt going to work on just a bar anyway, you're going to have to add more speakers then.

Its not like your AppleTV sends Atmos to the Beam, the Beam can't handle it and wont output anything. It will decode it and output as stereo (in case of a solo Beam, without added speakers)

If you are wall mounting I would definitely go for a 65 inch when I changed my 55 inch from the corner to the wall it made the room look bigger. And then changed it for the 65 inch looks great but as it's on the wall still doesn't take any extra space up

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom