New OLED tv but without audio compromise

balgray

Novice Member
Reaction score
Currently I own a LG 65 CX, which like the newer models, cannot passthrough a full range of audio formats. It was a major disappointment that I only discovered after I purchased it. I have an original nvidia shield TV but there’s something to be said for the simplicity of running Plex/Netflix/Disney all through the TV’s own apps. I was wondering if there are any top-quality makes or models of OLED TVs outside of LG that are known to not have any such constraints?
I’ve always had LG TVs but I’m assuming that they won’t U-turn on their decision to not support all audio formats, hence the question.

I assume you mean the lack of DTS? I have a Sony A80J OLED which handles all the usual Dolby and DTS formats and happens to be a great TV - the A80J/A90J really went head-to-head last year with the LG C1/G1 in most polls of the best OLEDs. General consensus was that the Sony had slightly the better picture quality but the LG more features (especially for gaming). The LG DTS issue was a real flaw though for some.

Anyway, that's my suggestion - best of luck!

Yep this is my exact line of thought here. My last 3 TVs were all LG but the withdrawal of support for DTS was a big issue for me. I route all the TV’s audio out to a home cinema system and I really don’t want to be worrying about what audio will and will not work properly. It needs to entirely passthrough, so that each part of the system does the job it’s set out to do.
I have tried to revert back to my nvidia shield but the older model I have doesn’t support Dolby vision, which the TV itself does. Yes I could just buy the latest shield TV, but again my ideal is that the TV is capable enough to handle all the rendering itself.

Yep this is my exact line of thought here. My last 3 TVs were all LG but the withdrawal of support for DTS was a big issue for me. I route all the TV’s audio out to a home cinema system and I really don’t want to be worrying about what audio will and will not work properly. It needs to entirely passthrough, so that each part of the system does the job it’s set out to do.
I have tried to revert back to my nvidia shield but the older model I have doesn’t support Dolby vision, which the TV itself does. Yes I could just buy the latest shield TV, but again my ideal is that the TV is capable enough to handle all the rendering itself.

Also, the shield doesn’t do auto frame rate matching, meaning it exhibits noticeable stutter on 24 Hz content if the app doesn’t switch it.

Yeah, the lack of DTS is a bit baffling - comparable to Samsung's refusal to engage with Dolby Vision. Personally I've spent more on the audio part of my HT set-up than I did on the TV so no DTS would be a deal-breaker for me.

When I bought my Sony at the end of last year the main complaints against it in comparison to the LG's were fewer latest HDMI ports (2 instead of 4 I think) and lack of VRR ALLM (now fixed). I still think the LG is considered the better gaming TV. The picture (and sound!) on my A80J is outstanding though and I've had no issues with it at all so it's worth considering I'd say.

Sony is the obvious choice, if you don't care about gaming as much.

Yeah, the lack of DTS is a bit baffling - comparable to Samsung's refusal to engage with Dolby Vision. Personally I've spent more on the audio part of my HT set-up than I did on the TV so no DTS would be a deal-breaker for me.
Nobody used DTS in streaming services for the past several years, it was all Dolby so the cost of the DTS license LG and others calculated wasn't worth it.

DTS has realized it has fallen behind and is now pushing DTS as alternative to Dolby in streaming services (e.g. Disney IMAX).

Sony & I think Philips OLED's support DTS.

HD audio via internal apps is not supported by any product to the best of my knowledge.

Yep, no doubt DTS is on the back foot when it comes to the Streaming Wars. I have a lot of blu-rays that include DTS soundtracks so for me that's still important. As you say, DTS are trying to make inroads with Disney and others (Sony Bravia, Rakuten) and I hope they have some more success - I'd prefer it if there wasn't a monopoly by Dolby as that's rarely good for the consumer but time will tell.

Thanks again for all the comments here. Very useful. I’ve always had LG TVs so was a bit at a loss of what good options there are outside of this. I’ll keep my eye on quality 4K Sony and Philips OLED TVs but do post any current/upcoming models that you think are cracking options with no random missing audio/video features!

If you are sticking with 65" and it's mainly for TV/movies AND money is not a problem then the Sony A95k is absolutely the best TV you can buy (QD-OLED)

Are there reviews that actually qualify your statement that it is worth the extra amount and have you actually got one?
If so please explain what makes it the best tv you can buy...

Just buy a streamer that does? Then go into your avr first then onto TV

Now way would I buy a new TV just because the TV doesn't pay audio streams.

Also, the shield doesn’t do auto frame rate matching, meaning it exhibits noticeable stutter on 24 Hz content if the app doesn’t switch it.
Easily remedied, Plex auto adjusts frame rate, but for Netflix you can manually adjust it. I have mine set to launch in 24hz, and if I need to adjust to 25 or 30hz it’s just a press of the button.

I’ve got a Sony AG9 and although it is better than anything I’ve had smart features wise the Shield is just a far slicker operator, and plays everything with all the bells and whistles that I chuck at it.

Search for refresh rate switcher in the App Store.

Good evening! Sound quality without any compromises Bang & Olufsen BeoVision Eclipse 65.The device, which supports Dolby Digital, provides up to six audio channels, which provides much better sound quality, has DTS Surround.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom