New OLED or???

CarloStewart

Standard Member
Hi everyone.

I've been a serial lurker for a while but decided to sign up and get some expert (well to me anyway) advice :).

I'm a complete newbie to TV's and I've fried my brain over the past few months trying to decide which TV to buy?? Hoping you could maybe help me out!

When I initially began looking I was interested in the SUHD's, but upon searching I stumbled across these 'new technology' OLED TV's. Well, that was it, I was set on getting an OLED TV then but was back to the life of scouring the internet for which was best....to no avail lol. Now, I am thinking again...maybe actually a SUHD would be better although I still think I have my heart set on the 950v. ARGHHHHH!!!!

I have a budget of around £2000+/- and I will be using the TV basically for Gaming on PS4, and the girlfriend will make most use of the SkyHD. We don't watch blu-rays, so any high-def content will come from Netflix or Amazon.

Should I wait for after CES for potential price-drops?

Id like the TV to be about 55", 4k and HDR so it's future-proofed.

And finally; is input lag really -THAT- big of a deal? Is the difference between 30ms and 55ms really going to make any difference?

Hope you can help me before I finish tearing my hair and and attack somebody elses! :D

Thanks

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
If you don't need to buy right now, then I'd recommend holding off. Otherwise, the OLED is really great at times, but can be shockingly awful at others. Read the many, many, many discussions on this forum to discover why, and then it's up to you to decide if it's worth dropping a couple of grand on it.

As much as I hate my 950 at times, personally I don't think I could go back to an LCD though. For what it's worth, I hated the JS9000 (last year's second "best" SUHD).

ricki1980

I've just come through a similar process, which lasted about 6 weeks. I second raymondo77 in saying that you should read the threads and purchase your set with an informed view.

I went for the 55EG910v and am over the moon with it.

One little piece of advise that I've picked up during my research: the perfect TV does not exist and If you actively go looking for faults that may exist outside of normal viewing you will very likely find them.

Enjoy your new purchase!

CarloStewart

Standard Member
Thanks for your input guys. I have read the threads over and over, about the near black levels and banding and tinting, but i cant help but think maybe its not actually that bad? Is it just because you guys are all enthusiasts and really pick up on these things because an absolute perfect picture is your desire, or are they things that even a general user will blatently pick up on? Thanks again

ericone

Banned
Thanks for your input guys. I have read the threads over and over, about the near black levels and banding and tinting, but i cant help but think maybe its not actually that bad? Is it just because you guys are all enthusiasts and really pick up on these things because an absolute perfect picture is your desire, or are they things that even a general user will blatently pick up on? Thanks again

Be to sure to buy from a place where you can return the TV with no questions asked. I think the only way to know for sure is to try it for a few days and then see. It may depend on if you get a good panel, what kind of TV you are used to watching from before and how much money you think it's worth for the perfect blacks yet flawed uniformity.

For me it was annoying to get issues on a 2000£ set I didn't get on my 600£ plasma or my 150£ computer monitor. Also coming from a plasma I'm used to good uniformity. The OLEDs have their own kind of backlight bleeding/clouding called "Oled mura" that shows in dark/near black scenes as vertical streaks running down the screen. In my opinion this is far more distracting than any LCD issues I've seen in person (don't own a LCD screen myself though). Until this is fixed I'll stick to my plasma :)

CarloStewart

Standard Member
Phew what a read that was droidlike. Thanks for posting though, very informative!

Ok I think ill just take the plunge and go for the 959v, but wait until after CES to check for price drops [emoji14]

One more thing, is there really a noticeable difference between input lag of 30ms and like 55ms?

ricki1980

You'll likely get a different answer from every person you ask. I formed the view I could live with an amazing picture 80% of the time. In fact what I got was an amazing picture 99% of the time with no noticeable issues in normal viewing.

In certain shades of grey I can see vertical banding. This has been mitigated to a certain extent by reducing brightness. I'm yet to notice it during normal TV / Film watching. It tends to be a apparent when navigating, for example, iplayer / Now TV menus where block colours are used.

Try and get as many different opinions as possible and then go with your gut.

CarloStewart

Standard Member
You'll likely get a different answer from every person you ask. I formed the view I could live with an amazing picture 80% of the time. In fact what I got was an amazing picture 99% of the time with no noticeable issues in normal viewing.

In certain shades of grey I can see vertical banding. This has been mitigated to a certain extent by reducing brightness. I'm yet to notice it during normal TV / Film watching. It tends to be a apparent when navigating, for example, iplayer / Now TV menus where block colours are used.

Cheers ricki, making me feel more confident about my choice! :D

Yappa

One more thing, is there really a noticeable difference between input lag of 30ms and like 55ms?
Yes, but if you're not that much into online gaming, then you should be fine. Also, depends where you're coming from.

droidlike

>> noticeable difference between input lag of 30ms and like 55ms?
if you game a lot
the noticeable difference is between
being killed at start
or not !

here following an url with almost all tv input lag

The Best Gaming TVs of 2015

and below you can find a table that can help you have at hands all the important features of tv

link

got it from flatpanelshd, look at here the very last message for now

See if any 1080p 2015 model has HEVC decoder inside. - FlatpanelsHD Forums

and also from flatpanelshd the latest leaks about lg tv 2016

LG TV 2016 - FlatpanelsHD Forums

hth

Last edited:

raymondo77

Distinguished Member

Really? I see the issues on my 950 regularly. I've got blu rays I don't watch because they have extended dark scenes that are ruined (The Purge, The Gift, Cabin In The Woods to name a few) by the appearance of dark edges and banding. Every time there's a supposedly white background on screen the yellowing is apparent, and as I know the staining pattern I can see it in other images where's there's a large coverage of one colour; for example a blue sky. I really don't understand how people can say they don't see these things in normal viewing. Every OLED I've had they've been clear as day. Is it worse than other tv types? That's up to the individual consumer to decide, but let's stop pretending they don't exist.

I'm not saying that OLED is crap, by any means, but the technology is clearly immature and in my opinion this whole "you only see the problems if you go looking for them" attitude of posters is misleading.

Edit
-------------
I don't want to get into an internet argument. If you're (and I'm referring to every owner here) happy then good for you. Continue to enjoy your experience. Everything above is purely my opinion, based on my own experiences with the numerous tv's I've bought (and returned) over the last 9 months.

Last edited:

ricki1980

Really? I see the issues on my 950 regularly. I've got blu rays I don't watch because they have extended dark scenes that are ruined (The Purge, The Gift, Cabin In The Woods to name a few) by the appearance of dark edges and banding. Every time there's a supposedly white background on screen the yellowing is apparent, and as I know the staining pattern I can see it in other images where's there's a large coverage of one colour; for example a blue sky. I really don't understand how people can say they don't see these things in normal viewing. Every OLED I've had they've been clear as day. Is it worse than other tv types? That's up to the individual consumer to decide, but let's stop pretending they don't exist.

I'm not saying that OLED is crap, by any means, but the technology is clearly immature and in my opinion this whole "you only see the problems if you go looking for them" attitude of posters is misleading.

Sorry I find your suggestion that I'm lying rather offensive. I don't notice the items you've described in normal viewing and am sorry that you have such a bad experience.

I've spoken with several people on this formal in recent weeks who have similar circumstances as mine so I can't quite understand how you can call our experiences 'attitudes'.

Like I said the poster should weigh up all opinions but let's keep to facts instead of suggesting people are lying because their experience does not correlate with our own.

Last edited:

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Sorry I find your suggestion that I'm lying rather offensive. I don't notice the items you've described in normal viewing and am sorry that you have such a bad experience.

I've spoken with several people on this formal in recent weeks who have similar circumstances as mine so I can't quite understand how you can call our experiences 'attitudes'.

Like I said the poster should way up all opinions but let's keep to facts instead of suggesting people are lying because their experience does not correlate with our own.

I'm not suggesting that you're a liar. If you go through the 960, 950 and 930 threads (which I've been reading an contributing to since their creations) you'll find numerous posts from people who've bought and LG OLED and have come on the the forum to query about the strange vignette and banding effects that they or their partners have noticed.

After going through 7 OLEDs that ALL have the issues I've previously stated, I really don't think I'm that unlucky and the various threads make it clear that this is something that is a trait of the current technology. If you've got a golden panel, hey, good for you. But let's be clear, you are in the minority on this forum with your perfect OLED.

ricki1980

This is what I consider normal viewing. If this is considered as being defective then I'm clearly easily pleased as the pictures don't quite do the images justice.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451677193.582909.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451677223.114949.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451677237.482294.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451679403.082370.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451687022.503851.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451682831.092087.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451682964.594688.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451686828.225938.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451687162.786007.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451687022.503851.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1451688291.693524.jpg

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
And people can get very enthusiastic about this stuff.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member

ericone

Banned
To be honest no one said the OLED issues are seen in every frame in every type of content. It struggles with uniform backdrops, bright pictures and near black scenes.

For example, I could post this picture as "proof" that LCDs are awesome:

http://www.marriedandthecity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/main.jpg

You don't see the poor black level or uniformity on the LCD here. But in real life in a dark room it would not be pretty. Like the 4 Oleds I tried.

Yappa

I don't see anything wrong with ricki1980 saying that he doesn't see anything wrong on his set. Even if in truth it is not fine.

ricki1980

I'm not suggesting that you're a liar. If you go through the 960, 950 and 930 threads (which I've been reading an contributing to since their creations) you'll find numerous posts from people who've bought and LG OLED and have come on the the forum to query about the strange vignette and banding effects that they or their partners have noticed.

After going through 7 OLEDs that ALL have the issues I've previously stated, I really don't think I'm that unlucky and the various threads make it clear that this is something that is a trait of the current technology. If you've got a golden panel, hey, good for you. But let's be clear, you are in the minority on this forum with your perfect OLED.

Sorry but there comes a time when you put your hand up and just apologise. Read your original unedited post to me again and then really try and tell me that the inference isn't that I'm making it up.

Had you said something along the lines of ' I have a distinctly different experience' then I would not have responded to you.

I actually challenge that I'm in the minority and suggest that of all OLED owners I'm actually part of an overwhelming majority enjoying their sets.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Sorry but there comes a time when you put your hand up and just apologise. Read your original unedited post to me again and then really try and tell me that the inference isn't that I'm making it up.

Had you said something along the lines of ' I have a distinctly different experience' then I would not have responded to you.

I actually challenge that I'm in the minority and suggest that of all OLED owners I'm actually part of an overwhelming majority enjoying their sets.

You're not going to get an apology from me for that post. My final paragraph should probably have been in another post to clearly distinguish if from the rest of my response, but there's nothing in it directly aimed at you from your previous post.

ricki1980

Cheers ricki, making me feel more confident about my choice! :D

You're welcome. Just do your research and go into the purchase eyes wide open.

I'm far from an expert but am quite fussy with things like image quality. I'm sure that there is a million experts that could give your more detailed critic if that is required.

However, if I've interpreted your motives here correctly, i.e., getting a good TV that you'll enjoy with normal viewing (gaming / TV / Movies) and don't intend on spending the first week forensically analysing the set - then I think the OLEDs should remain high on your options list.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
MOD COMMENT: Let it go guys.

stueyg22

I'd not buy anything yet,wait until CES in just 5 days,then you will know what the new models are coming out in 2016,Samsung usually first on the shelves March/April ... and i'd watch with interest ''Hisense'' a new kid on the block,that will be bringing out some new high end TV's at very affordable prices.I myself am very interested with their 2016 range with a £2500 limit to spend.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom