New OLED, Motion?

mrrodge

Hi all,

In the market for a new TV, specifically 65 inch. I've waited years for OLED to hit the mainstream (when Samsung first brought the AMOLED display to their Galaxy S smartphone I was blown away/sold) and strongly believed it would be a game changer. I'm glad I didn't wait for it as it's been donkey's years!

I know there are negatives now to OLEDs (Brightness, burn-in etc) and I haven't yet seen a Samsung 'QLED' but it reads to me like the 'Quantum Dot' tech is a load of marketing BS and they're ultimately just an LCD with all the problems that come with them. I don't know if it's a Samsung thing or the whole industry in general but over the years I've had a number of BS marketing pitches bite me, the most obvious I can think of being a series 6 with 'Full HD 3D' that wasn't full HD, mind-bendingly fast refresh rates that were 60hz in disguise or not divisible into any framerate and I've now got a KU6500 that's HDR but not HDR so very sceptical.

I've had nothing but Samsung for the past decade. I have a D6100 (that was a really good TV but motion was an issue), an F5500 (that's crap, to be honest, uniformity is shocking and the picture just isn't sharp no matter what I do) and my current living room TV is a UE49KU6500. That's not brilliant but far, far better than the series 5. It's on it's way out with failing backlights right now so I'm sort of angry with Samsung following this and the above marketing claims. Luckily I didn't pay for the KU6500, the other half got it given as a bonus at work.

Thing is, I'm particularly sensitive to motion blur. We're big on football and motorsport and seeing the ball look like a ghostly comet does my head in. 120Hz BFI on the new LG panel sounds like the bees knees, but how good is it?! Is it an unusable gimmick? Can I get better via traditional LCD?! I miss plasma.

EDIT: We also hate the soap opera effect; we accept less than silky smooth playback as was intended with 24p (as long as there's no pulldown/refresh rate mismatch going on) but don't like the blur.

If the 120hz BFI is just a screen-dimming/picture ruining gimmick I'll never use I may as well get the cheapest 65 inch OLED and replace when something better comes along - it's literally the only thing tempting me towards the LG CX/Sony A8 over a C8/C9 right now. I certainly don't want to go backwards with motion and if I can't get close to plasma with the latest BFI/Interpolation, I'm happy with popping colours/blacks and contrast from a cheaper OLED (I gather they're all pretty similar in this regard, being LG panels) and I'll enjoy having a spare grand in the back pocket for the stereo.

We like movies too, so looking for the best motion on 24, 25, 30, 60fps content. Thanks!

Last edited:

mrrodge

Philips/Sony OLED. Philips probably better to have better motion whilst also avoiding SoE.

BFI is more useful on LCD TVs than OLEDs since it reduces blur a lot. On OLEDs there's already no motion blur.

Thanks. In that case I'm better off saving £££ and going for an older OLED, right?

Dodgexander

Thanks. In that case I'm better off saving £££ and going for an older OLED, right?
Usually yes, newer models tend to have indistinguishable picture quality from the ones they replace and cost a premium on release.

mrrodge

Just been doing some research on motion and keep seeing things suggesting there's not much in it on pixel response between LCD/OLED and the latest Samsung sets have superior motion. Why would that be?

Dodgexander

There's differences in the way display technologies display motion, and also differences in how one manufacturer and another processes motion. Its also very subjective. Motion is certainly not worse on OLEDs.

If you already used an OLED phone you'll see the difference in motion in video using that, so you should be able to compare.

One area the Samsung TVs excel with motion is with games, and that is because they let you use motion settings in games without adding input lag like other manufacturers. They also have good BFI. In the future though with HDMI 2.1 VRR this will mean precious little.

There are some people who don't get along with OLED motion, and some people who don't get along with LCD motion either. There's also people who can use BFI, and people who can't. All depends on the person and the only way you'll know for sure is by trying it yourself!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom