New Oknyo 606 - a few things including heat

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by malk, May 29, 2008.

1. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    whoa,got my 606 all wired up,and i was fiddling about with different sound settings,by the way,playing sweeny todd on the ps3 bluray player sounded fookin amazing!! and listening to Metallica-Turn the page on all channel stereo,amazing,i wanted to turn it up ssooo loud it made me smile.Anyway i was watching i am legend,playing a ps3 game,i put in transformers and turned it to bitstream,as soon as optimus started to talk.....BLINK...off she goes.
    Turned her back on,and after 30 secs,same again.Felt the top of the 606,and my god,i swear,you could cook on that surface.
    I noticed that there is no vents on the side of the unit?!?
    They know it gets hot so why didnt they vent the sides.ive got about 4cm clearance from the top of 606.
    Im going to unscrew the feet and take them off,that should give it a little more room uptop.
    Im also going to cut som of the wood away from the back shelf to try and get the air flowing a bit better.Has anyone else had this problem?

2. bigfecker

bigfecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    what ohm rating are your speakers?

3. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I saw on hifi bitz website,they reckon they are 6ohm.ive knocked the setting back down to 4ohm,do reckon that might have done it?seriously,the unit was mega hot,painfull to touch.
    Just looked at website,its hifix,and they reckon on the speaker specifacations that the br1 weighs 9.5 kg!! no way,i weighed them on saturday for speaker brackets,4kg.
    So,i think maybe that they might be a bit off on the ohm as well.i havent had proper time to look into the ohm and hz yet.
    Cheers

4. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I remember reading about similar experiences with 605, basically do NOT take the feet off as it just makes the situation far worse.

Anyway, the manual says 8 inches of upper clearance, but you've only got about 1.5 so it's not really surprising.

5. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was wondering if products like this need to meet certain UK or european requirements? Do goods get tested/stamped for certification?

Your not the only one who has mentioned heat as a concern. I suppose they can get away with it by saying you need 8" of clearance in the manual? It does make me reconsider. But at the price it may be worth the risk (well not if you factor in your house burning down) :rotfl:

This may just be scare mongering or some bad experiences or may just be a design fault. Who knows.

6. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I had heard of lot of over heating problems about the Onkyo, but before getting my 805, I took a shelf out of my AV cabinet meaning my amp got about 11cm of head room. (Touch wood) I've never once had a problem with my amp and it's had some serious usage, and does get VERY hot. I'd definitely try and give it more room at the top, as I think that's definitely the problem.

7. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Ive taken the feet off,which has given me a few more cm.
    I felt underneath and it did feel quite hot on the left hand side,but nothing compared to the top.What else can i do?
    get a new stand?i cant afford it.i just hope it dosent go off when me and the missus are watching a film(she will moan and moan,about how much it cost etc..)
    IM going to try and get a little fan for the inside of the stand,and cut a bit of wood away.I knew they got hot,but SO hot it would cut out after half hour,im a bit gutted,and now,paranoid that its going to cutout when im using it.
    What can ido?:suicide:

8. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I re-iterate, do NOT take the feet off, it'll just make it worse.

9. matr69

matr69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Only got 2/3 inches above mine and it gets no more than very warm in one area on the right, however I dO have clear air on the sides and back - also the shelf above is glass and by all accounts that conducts heat better, but it only gets mildly warm.

I second the feet thing, the amp draws in cool air through the bottom, if you close that off then it will get amp-wreckingly bad.

10. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Indeed. I have my centre channel on the shelf immediately above mine but since there was so much space behind the speaker I just chopped out a square of space above the Onkyo. So the front few inches of the Onkyo only have about 0.5" clearance (!!) but everything behind that (back-right definitely gets the hottest) has the full 8" and had no problems so far :smashin:

11. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Are you serious. :confused: Of course they have to meet requirements. :rolleyes:

12. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not everything is black and white :D *looks around for bugs in his house* :rotfl:

13. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    o.k then, feet back on.ive got to cut some of the wood away at the back so the air has somewhere to go because its all sealed off at the back.so my 606 is hanging out of my stand untill that wood gets sorted,nice.

14. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,577
    Just got it today and bought a oaur of Celestion floorstands to start with, very nice.
    First, the main use is for HDMI audio with the V+ box and the PC (both work fine with direct input to the TV (Panasonic 42" plasma).
    The PC works fine directly into the TV under Windows and Linux but not through the 606 (in fact Windows doesn't even find the HDMI audio output).
    I would use the optical connection instead but haven't managed to ocnfigure that yet.
    The other thing - heat! I have free space above the amp nad lots of space all round, it sits on a glass shelf at the top of the stand but gets too hot to touch. Is this because I've only got 2 speakers hooked up so far or is it a known issue?
    :lease:

15. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
  16. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Merged. :)

17. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    The Onkyo only passes standard ED/HD resolutions (480p/576p/720p/1080i/p) over HDMI so if you're trying to send it a funny plasma resolution like 1024x1024 etc. then it won't work.

If anything it would run cooler the less speakers that are connected to it. As long as it has plenty of space above and around it (6"+) then you'll be fine as they will get hot (especially the back-right area). Also do NOT take the feet off.

18. sizerman

sizerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    ive just got my first av reciever,:thumbsup:the onkyo 606:thumbsup:,my first question is about where to place it on my stand, is it ok to place the unit directly under my plasma whick is fixed above the top glass shelf,is there a required clearance,i can move my screen if required
    many thanks
    ian

19. Ridgeback63

Ridgeback63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

There has been a lot of talk about the heat generated by the 606,and the consensus is to make sure you have plenty of clearance above, mine has about 10" and gets quite warm also leave the feet on it so as to get a flow of air though it.

20. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Merged. :)

21. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,577
    Err.. the video is fine and I am defintiely leaving the feet on!
    I've jsut put a low speed (very low noise) PC fan on top of the amp (adding rubber feet) and the case temperature drops to near ambient. This will increase the life of the amp quite a bit.

22. N16E

N16E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trollslayer is the fan sucking or blowing? will it fit in a 30mm space?

Cheers

N16E

23. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I don't think it's acceptable that we have to add our own fan for a £400 part! I wonder why they didn't do it themselves? You can get some very quiet fans (like a Scythe Slipstream).

24. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I'd much rather the option of a silent unit with plenty of space round it. It's easy to add a fan but hard to take one away.

25. Jessejames690

Jessejames690

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I installed 3 120mm fans at the back of my tv cabinet to aid cooling, ordered a 5.25 external drive caddy and inserted a fan controller. Cost about 50 quid for all the bits but the benefits were endless. No more hot 606 for me.