New o2 install

jonrud

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been with o2 for a week now so still under 10 day line testing my question is what speed did you o2 guys get when under testing. BT have told o2 that my line can handle 7.5 mbs but for the past 7 days I have not gone over 2mbs. when I was with tiscali (******s) my connection speed was around 7mbs apart from in the evenings when it dropped to less than 1mbs hence the move to o2. I have spoken to o2 but they say they cant help until the 10 days are up what i cant understand is how can they test the line for speed when I have not gone over 2mbs under testing.

Thanks

It is neither here not there what other people got during the test period as their lines will not be the same as yours.

Second where are you getting that 2Mb/s from?

Finally are you on an LLU service (Standard, Premium or Pro) or Home Broadband Access?

Last edited:
I check the speed with speednet.com I am on home broadband 8 meg package I understand that o2 have not taken over our exchange so I am using BT equipment.

Hello mate, sorry to hear you are having problems. I've been with O2 now for about 3 months. My first 10 days i was getting between 10 to 11 mbps, after that it settled to a consistent 7 to 8 mbps.
Not had any issues really but the couple of times i have spoken to customer services the guys seem really switched on and helpful!
id have to say though if BT say your line is capable of 7ish they must be right.

Hello mate, sorry to hear you are having problems. I've been with O2 now for about 3 months. My first 10 days i was getting between 10 to 11 mbps, after that it settled to a consistent 7 to 8 mbps.
Not had any issues really but the couple of times i have spoken to customer services the guys seem really switched on and helpful!
id have to say though if BT say your line is capable of 7ish they must be right.
The OP is not on the same service as you.

I check the speed with speednet.com I am on home broadband 8 meg package I understand that o2 have not taken over our exchange so I am using BT equipment.
It is an UP TO 8Mb/s service. What result do you get from BT Broadband

BTW, O2 do not 'take over' the local exchange they merely have their equipment installed in it.

O2 have been having speed issues for a few weeks now, and they hope to resolve them within 6-8 weeks. if you take a look at there forums there is more info and an official announcement

I have been with o2 for a week now so still under 10 day line testing my question is what speed did you o2 guys get when under testing. BT have told o2 that my line can handle 7.5 mbs but for the past 7 days I have not gone over 2mbs. when I was with tiscali (******s) my connection speed was around 7mbs apart from in the evenings when it dropped to less than 1mbs hence the move to o2. I have spoken to o2 but they say they cant help until the 10 days are up what i cant understand is how can they test the line for speed when I have not gone over 2mbs under testing.

Thanks

I was on orange last month (who , apart from the recent very high ping/latency probs gave me a good service for nearly 2 years) but have just switched everything to o2. (simplicity online 20 with £23.30 quidco cashback and Premium home broadband with 3 months free plus reduction as o2 customer and £70 quidco cashback [thats pretty much a year for free]:thumbsup:)

I was quoted 14meg by o2 when i signed up. (used to get 3.5 - 4 with orange and 120 -140 ms ping).

After the o2 switchover i was gettin 4.8 - 5.0 meg really nice ping of upto 45ms. so Pretty cool. (i know .. nothing like the quote but the ping is important to me aswell)

Any way they emailed me about 8 days after switchover sayin sorry for the misquote and maybe its bt line or your home wiring ? but i could drop to lower standard tarriff if i wanted.

so i thought i would snoop and decided to take the laptop down to kitchen where main BT box is on wall(3 yr old house so fairly new wiring)unplugged all my extesions and plugged directly into bt line and WOW rebooted router and got 8600kbps down plus 1200 kbps up (these figures on router settings... but the best i'd seen here ever)
so i thought i would test a bit more and plugged the extension over socket thing back in and then plugged the router into that (so not running through the house but my wiring is connected....)
Oooh dropped straight to 4.5-5 meg again...
looked on net and found info on uneeded cables attracting interference.
Took the top socket thing back off and and noted 3 wires connected and rumour has it that the solid orange one is like an earthing type effort and not required as it can cause problems. :rolleyes:
So i snipped it (but left little in place so i could see where it came from) and put top socket back into place .
rebooted and my 8.6 meg was back :clap: and with my wiring extesion s all connected... so i then went back up 2 floors to office plugged my router back into the pc and am now enjoying a router display of 9.2meg down and 1.2 meg up..(started at 8600 and has gone up to 9.2):D download testers give me 8meg and 1meg plus pings of 41ms....'ISH :thumbsup:

well happy ... sorry for the boring long post but it may help someone..

terry

Spoken to o2 again today they say I have a fault but not sure what is causing it my router is saying 8.2mbs download and 500kbs upload. They say that I am using 2.2mbs for connection and that the other 6mbs is being used to test the line can this be true?. They also say I will need to go through another 10 days testing with differant settings which I am not to keen on or is this just ********.

i had some issues when switching from bt to o2 but managed to get them sorted. First of all you should be getting the same speeds as bt if not a little better. Have you used the test socket in the bt master socket? this should give you a true indication if there is a fault internally or externally. if you haven't then you need to remove the face plate of the master socket (the master socket is the one in your house that leads to the street). Connect your micro filter to the hidden socket (the test socket) and run some speed tests. then do the same in the normal socket in the unscrewed face plate. I would recommend attaching mirco filters to all extensions in the house because of signal leakage. Basically i did this and found there was a fault in the internal wiring (higher speeds in the test socket) and what worked for me was a new face plate on the master socket, speeds went from 4mb to 11mb on adsl+2. sorry if i over simplified, hope this helps.

Would everyone recommend O2 to me then? Because at the moment I am using a very expensive company called Zen, I am on there unlimited 2mb connection with no contract, for £35 a month.

I know I can make massive savings by switching over, but there was so many problems with other providers before I just swallowed the high cost as it was always running with no problems.

With all the good reviews about O2, im tempted to get the MAC code from Zen and go for O2.

After a quick test, they say I can get the "O2 Access" as im outside there O2 broadband area, but can get 8mb Unlimited as it says I can get 7mb at the moment, so its almost 4 times the speed for less than half the current cost!

i use to have the o2 access and i managed to get full speed and i didnt get problems for downloading heavy and no throttle but since they in my area i went to there 20meg package and still not been throttled

they have had a few problems with dns but seems to be sorted now

With all the good reviews I have heard about O2, especially with how generous they are with there "fair use policy", I have took the plunge and will now be going over to O2 access, supplied the MAC code to O2 so should be switched over to them in the next 2 weeks, the sooner the better as I will be able to get speeds from 2mb to 7mb with O2, which I am more than happy with, especially the price of only £17.14 per month!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom