New NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV coming January 2017 - news discussion

Such a shame the new one dont support Or have the chipset to have Dolby Vision etc

Even though Nougat 7.0 does support it .

This new shield tv 2.0 is such a let down / dissapointment
With really a software update .

Which the old shield tv will get .

This really cannot be named the shield tv 2.0 more like software update version 2.0 .

This really cannot be named the shield tv 2.0 more like software update version 2.0 .

They could follow the consoles and call it Shield TV Slim.

The annoying thing is that the base model actually drops features (SD slot and IR receiver). I am sure that is not how it is supposed to be on a second gen product.

I have still pre-ordered the 500GB Pro version of the new model as I'd like to be able to copy files to it directly from my Mac. The 16GB is too small for that, and I have never been able to get external storage working remotely, even when it is badged as internal.

I suppose the v1 was so far ahead of it's competition that they haven't seen the need to change, but a few small improvements would have been nice!

Last edited:
Such a shame the new one dont support Or have the chipset to have Dolby Vision etc

Even though Nougat 7.0 does support it .

This new shield tv 2.0 is such a let down / dissapointment
With really a software update .

Which the old shield tv will get .

Nvidia are not calling it a shield tv 2.

All answers about differences are below

New NVIDIA SHIELD TV hands-on at CES 2017: all about that controller - SlashGear

I’m excited about getting to use this new NVIDIA SHIELD device at home, even if it has the same processor, RAM, storage, and connectivity as the previous model. This comes from my personal perspective as an every-single-day SHIELD user – I’ve been using the original NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV device since before its public release. After I reviewed the original NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV, I got one connected to my living room TV and haven’t stopped using it since.

This new model is not one that an original SHIELD owner will need to upgrade to – not unless they like the idea of a slightly smaller piece of hardware to set beside their television. Instead, people who already own an NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV will want to consider buying the new gaming controller on its own.

The new NVIDIA SHIELD may seem the same, spec-wise, but the hardware is quite a bit different. The device is now shipped with both the TV remote and the game controller – the new game controller. It’s important to note that the old NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV will work with the new controller, the new software, and the same apps and streaming capabilities.

So what’s new? The device is smaller – it’s about the size of a
journal now instead of the size of a DVD case. It’s right around the same thickness as its predecessor at its thickest point, and it retains the signature touch-sensitive on button and light-up SHIELD green checkmark on the box. The base is a bit different – it looks really similar as the design aesthetic of the hardware is similar, but the base is more rubbery-coated heavy plastic instead of meta

This new controller now has vibration to roll with gaming immersion – stuff that rumbles in a game now rumbles on the controller. The controller now has an IR blaster to change volume on the base set, and all capacitive controls have been changed to analog, now there’s just capacitive volume control. The touchpad has been removed – since apparently not a whole lot of people used it. Of course we’ll have to test battery life for ourselves when we get our own review unit, but we’re crossing fingers for longevity. The device detects when the user has picked it up with an accelerometer.

Rumbling in the controller is a subtle difference makes the SHIELD feel a significant amount more like an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4. I hesitate to say it makes the SHIELD more like a “real” gaming console because the SHIELD is a very different monster. Every other feature will be available for the original NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV device because NVIDIA is cool like that.

The new controller will cost $60 USD purchased with NVIDIA online or through one of their retail partners. This device is currently on pre-order through NVIDIA – as is the first of two NVIDIA SHIELD consoles. The NVIDIA SHIELD TV device will come with both the standard controller and the gaming controller and will cost a cool $200 USD. There’ll be a larger version of the console for $300 that’ll have more internal storage as well – that’ll be available later this year.

I like the smaller footprint version of new shield but is the 500gb smaller than original ?

At £280 I really can't see the point of this device. A PS4 is much cheaper and hugely more useful as both a gaming machine and a streamer (app selection on Android TV is still comical). How can any company seriously propose people buy a streaming device which lacks Now TV, Demand 5, ITV Hub, and All 4?
I think for some people the fact you can run Kodi at 4k with Atmos passthrough, with a decent remote, that "just works" justifies the cost.
It would be fine if PS4s and XB1s weren't locked down, but sadly they aren't. It is also powerful enough to act as a Plex server to other devices, but I find Kodi devices and NAS much easier.

I get your point with no catchup TV, but it doesn't bother me at the moment as that is all built into my TVs. I guess that is something the broadcast companies need to address sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to control the 16gb version with my harmony hub?

I agree, there is not much of an update to the STV, but in all honesty, it didn't need much (v1 is almost perfect)

The STV is overpowered for media streaming already; Kodi runs like it's on decent Intel hardware.

I am just happy they are back on sale as have been looking for a second one for another room (and have been fetching silly money s'hand on eBay)

I suspect the price will drop a bit after a few months of release, and will push the price of the v1 down to a more reasonable price.

Someone said this is probably the best Android box on the market; and go one step further and say it's the only one I'd buy after owning one.

Looking for a second 16GB box myself and the only reason I see for buying the V2 is the included remote. For my uses, Plex client & Nexflix, the V1 is perfect.

Besides the old Amazon Fire Stick remote works perfectly with the shield anyway so hopefully the price of the V1 will drop now.

Last edited:
I suppose the price increase must be due to Brexit. :)

I suppose the price increase must be due to Brexit. :)
I wouldn't be surprised if my employer used that to justify a lower bonus this year. Will make a change from the perennial you are doing well but other parts of the business are struggling and no one is getting much :D

I wouldn't be surprised if my employer used that to justify a lower bonus this year. Will make a change from the perennial you are doing well but other parts of the business are struggling and no one is getting much :D

My company can't use that excuse. They're German (Siemens)

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to control the 16gb version with my harmony hub?

Anyone able to answer this? Can a harmony ultimate control this by Bluetooth alone?

I've emailed Nvidia to get some clarification as it seeems a strange decision to have no IR receiver on the the 16gb model.

Anyone able to answer this? Can a harmony ultimate control this by Bluetooth alone?

I've emailed Nvidia to get some clarification as it seeems a strange decision to have no IR receiver on the the 16gb model.
Vital. I certainly won't consider buying until Harmony compatibility is confirmed.

Vital. I certainly won't consider buying until Harmony compatibility is confirmed.

Well I preordered before noticing that the spec for the 16gb didn't mention IR receiver. It'll be going back pretty quickly if I can't use the harmony.

Well I preordered before noticing that the spec for the 16gb didn't mention IR receiver. It'll be going back pretty quickly if I can't use the harmony.

Seeing as the Harmony Ultimate inc (Hub) also does Bluetooth i cant see why it wont may take Harmony a few days to get it on the database but it should work just like replacing the bluetooth remote on the Amazon 4K fire TV, mine works perfectly fine doing that.

So many questions that I am trying to answer as i've been working it out for a while.

So I have a clunky old desktop PC running Plex. A Synology NAS for files.

I wanted to use the 16gb version (price a factor) with an SD card to run plex.

I know that there is form for that not being the best case. I need some new HD's for the NAS as i'm running out of space.

Also I have an Onkyo TX-SR505E receiver but it is old and only does HDMI pass through so the sound has to go through the TV and back out via the TV to the amp.

If I want to utalise always on "talk" for say spotify or google music, will I have to have the TV on or will I have other options?

Google Assistant on the Shield 2.0 can only be used while the TV is on as it uses your speakers to respond to you. The Nvidia Spot is a separate device that can be placed around the house enabling you to use the Assistant while the TV is off.

Well the 1st Gen works perfectly well with Harmony and my Amazon Fire TV box which is bluetooth only works absolutely fine with my Harmony too so it should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom