• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered New Nvidia GPU for 2016?

ocelot20

Hello,

6 months ago. I got a GTX 970. I have been very happy with it. I got some PC parts for Christmas new PSU,Motherboard ect. I have recently come into some bonus money as well. Am thinking of getting another 970 for SLI. Then I thought about selling my 970 and getting a 980 ti.

But am wondering if there is any other Nvidia GPU's out this year?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Generally line-ups change every 18 months, although that's often just a refresh or minor tweaking rather than a new design. I would expect a 970 update/replacement some time in the spring or early summer.

Although a 970 isn't going to be slow any time soon so unless you're driving a demanding screen setup you may not see much of a benefit and I'd definitely look into other options for the money that might provide more enjoyment.

ocelot20

I do have a 4K TV. So I would like to use 4K a lot more. The 970 has been ok providing me 4K gaming. For example I can play the likes of Battlefield 4 in 4K but at medium settings.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'd expect the 980 replacement at the same time as the 970, but the next 980ti/Titan isn't likely to show up until the end of 2016 or the start of 2017.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yeah, the replacement for it. It might be the same chip with higher clockspeeds and all the shaders available, it might be a new chip.

Zeromajor

the 980ti (based on maxwell architecture) is about mid-cycle, meaning if you can get one for a cheap price (sub £450 if that's possible) then go for it, otherwise wait for cards based on nvidias new pascal architecture which will be released at some point in 2016. It's likely the evolution of the titan x will come out first and then the lower-end cards and the 'next' 980ti out before the end of the year.

This is purely based on rumours on other forums/sites & nividias history of card releases over the past few years.

Pascal will undoubtedly be better, but no-one really knows by how much because there have been no benchmarks or indications of specific cards other than speculation.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
It's likely the evolution of the titan x will come out first and then the lower-end cards and the 'next' 980ti out before the end of the year.

Agree. We had Titan X's then 4-6 months later, we got the excellent 980Ti. I would expect the same again - a 1000 series based Titan X of some flavour that is excellent, with 12Gb+ VRAM and a £1k+ price tag. This caters for the enthusiasts and those with excess cash who want the best now, before the inevatable Ti versions that are half the cash of a Titan.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom