1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nvidia cards now available

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by bjd, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    OCUK had them all selling on release date. i wouldnt bother with 2 in SLi because a) single card more than holds its own against the SLi and b) no games support SLi at all so its a total waste of time. friend of mine sold his 2x leadtek 6800 Ultra's SLi set and got a 7800GTX and it out performs his old SLi setup no problem. unless you game at a resolution more than 1280x1024 there is absolutly no point what so ever in getting this card at all. these are for the people that game at 1900x1200 and want some AA AF etc. at that res no AA is even needed at all. i will not be getting one at all pc gaming is a joke with the prices and its xbox 360 and ps3 for me next

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh very overkill unless you want massive resolutions

For 1024x768 or 1280x1024 there are far far cheaper cards about which will run all current games maxed out.

My 6600GT will do me for a while yet :)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of 2405 (1920x1200) owners out there ;)

:smoke:

5. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new cards look very nice - expensive, but if I get a new system with a 2005fpw then I'll certainly be buying one! Not two in SLI though, far too expensive.

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I am in the early stages of buying a new system and had a look at the new 'uns'. Then I realised I could get a 3700 san diego 64 bit and an ATI 800xl for around the same price. Seeing as it's only pushing 1280x1024 TFT the choice is clear.

IMO these are far to expensive for the tech they contain (old tech just more of it) and overall I am a bit disappointed in them. :thumbsdow

7. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I spent £340 on a GFX card 8 mnths ago ... I normally like to splash out and get the latest and greatest ( a case of because I could rather than requirement ) ... but my current machine with my 8 month old gfx card still runs WoW / CS source etc @ 1600x1200 ( my desktop and gameing res ) with high options on very smoothly.
    So until I start to get annoyed with fps, I'll be sticking with what I have.

8. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The transparent AA looks particularly impressive to me, I'd like to see what it looks like in "real life" - some of those fences at the beginning of HL2 look very nasty with normal AA.

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    im tempted by one or the 20" version but with that comes the need for an updgrade to 7800 which means new processor and mobo for me so its totally unfeasable :(

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Aye. In preparation for mine I've upped my cpu to a P4 3.06 ( only 533fsb socket 478 that HTs and I really don't want to have to gut the machine entirely).

Next month a peachy nvida card ( 6800 at the very least but I'll see how crazy I am)

My 9800 XT 256 is still doing a far from terrible job but I doubt it will cope at 1920x1200.

I'll have to get a new waterblock for the nvidia card too (watercooling is always a laugh). Kiss my warranty good bye!

11. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much better would 1 of these SAPPHIRE RADEON X700 over a radeon sapphire 128 pro?? pc world are doing the x700@ £99.99

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Better off getting a 6600gt than a x700, as its quite a weak card in comparision.

13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    thats why my next upgrade will be the crossfire
    it wont need games that take advantage of sli to show its full potential :thumbsup:

14. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "No games support SLI"? That's nonsense, any game released in the last year or so that's got a high enough spec to need it supports it. What mainstream high-end games don't?

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    SLI is too dependant on drivers. I pereffer Xfire as it runs 2 cards as 1 and just doubles the performance. I dont understand why NVidia didnt just do that to beggin with. Now they have problems coz they can make drivers fast enough!

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    X-fire is probably not gonna come out until the new cards do anyway so there is little point in them for the current generation, also a new motherboard would probably be needed to support corssfire.

I aggree that ATI's solution does look alot beter, and even a common sense approach.
    With the nvidia 'solution' to have sli your not allowed multi monitor, and to get it back you have to reboot. Thats just not very good at all.