New/Newbie Home Cinema Build On A Budget (some advice needed)

janullrich

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm building a home cinema approx 4.4m x 5.5m and I've just got a few questions on speakers and placement. I apologise in advance in case these are newbie questions or too many.

I'm looking to buy 2nd hand speakers preferably 7.1/7.2 unless I hear otherwise. Here are my questions:

1. Should I be going with 7.1 or 5.1 or 9.1? How many films actually support 9?
  2. I have been offered some KEF 9000s for approx £150 per speaker so 1k for 7, is this a good price? Is it worth it? Any other recommendations (used)? (must be wall mount or in-wall)
  3. With a 4.4m x 5.5m is 1 sub enough? Any particular brands/models I should look for (again used).
  4. If I do go with 7.1 where am I placing these 2 extra speakers. Should they be going in between the rears and the fronts pointed towards the listening position?
  5. My listening position is up against the back wall, should I put the rears:
  • on the back wall pointing straight over my head
  • on the side wall pointing at the side of my head
  • in the corner of the side and back wall angled pointing at my head
6. What height should the speakers be at? Is it mid way up the wall or listening ear height or something else?
7. I read something about making all the speaker cables the same length, is this true/advisable/necessary?

Thank you in advance.

Gaz​

This is a good starting point.
Speaker Setup Guide

Plan your positions out carefully. If the sofa is against a back wall just do 5.1 No point running 7.1
All speakers at ear height at the front, surrounds above ear height unless running atmos (see below).

1 Sub will fill that room and at this point that's what I'd start with. There's a specific forum on here for subs with recommendations etc.

Possibly consider 5.1.2 (2 ceiling speakers - Atmos) - if that interests you. Read details here:
Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup Guide

Use those two links as a starting point and plan in details before buying anything. Buy good quality cable, but I personally don't buy in to the equal lengths thing. Not for the kind of distances you are talking about.

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.

I now understand that with the sofa against the back wall the additional 2 for a 7.1 speakers are not needed/possible. This does beg the question though is it possible to use a 7.1/9.1 mix and not have the additional rears but still have the higher fronts (like a 9 but with only 7).

With regards to Atmos and in-ceiling speakers, will any in ceiling speakers work or do they need to be specifically designed for Atmos. I have Yamaha in ceiling speakers all round the house and was wondering if these would be suitable.

Thank you

You can run front height or front wides if you've got the space. Not done that myself. Any in ceiling. Wide dispersal speakers are meant to be better but I've not gone for those myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom