1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Netgem 4.2.2 software update

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cybersoga, May 22, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    New Netgem 4.2.2 software update. Point your netgem web browser to here: http://www.netgem.com/update

If you are still using an old version, you'll now be able to use all sorts of USB devices including ethernet adapters, hard discs, printers and memory cards.

There have been a lot of other improvements and changes in the user interface.

If you were using 4.2.1, this is a minor update that fixes a few problems that were in 4.2.1.

Once you are surfing by broadband, downloading updates takes a minite or so, but by dial up it can take a while.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    copied from http://www.netgem.com/update

New features and improvements in the May 2003 software release (v4.2.2)

Digital Television:

Enjoy better picture and sound quality
    Use VCR timers to automatically record digital programmes to your VCR
    Enjoy much faster display and navigation in digital text applications
    Set up reminders for upcoming programmes
    Customise your channel list by tagging and renumbering your favourite channels
    Troubleshoot your aerial with the manual scanning feature

Interactive Services:

Share your existing broadband connection by connecting i-Player to your home network
    Use your own ISP package to go online through the telephone (or still use pay-as-you-go built-in Internet access)
    Use your existing Email accounts (or still create free Email addresses)
    Find useful services in the new Internet Neighbourhood
    Troubleshoot you connection with the Modem and Ethernet diagnostics menu
    Multimedia:
    View and print digital photos from supported USB storage devices (disk-on-key, hard drive, media card)
    Play music (MP3) and movies from storage devices on your TV
    Print on a wider range of USB printers (HP, Epson and Canon)

User Interface:

New look Info and More Info bars, now include current programme progress bar
    New menu, includes customisable semi-transparency
    New look for Email and Internet applications

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have you tried the component output yet mate? I'm curious about this with regard to maybe getting one for my plasma as another digital source alongside Sky/Pace.
    Cheers.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The cable from Keene still hasn't arrived. I'll post my findings when it does!

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Component output on Netgem??? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?? If I have got the right end, then where did this info come from?

Rob.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes it has "YPbPr Component" as an output selection with the latest firmware, which can be used with a scart to 3 phono cable wired to the RGB pins on the scart socket as follows:-

Y on Pin 11
    Cb on Pin 7
    Cr on Pin 15

Such a cable is available from http://www.keene.co.uk but the one I ordered last week hasn't turned up yet so I cant confirm if it works yet.

The information came from Netgem, I have been beta testing the firmware which has just been released.

7. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Woohoo... Going to update right away then as it would be great to find a use for the spare component input on my iScan Ultra :) Would save 2 x signal convertion/switches along the way as i currently feed RGB from Netgem into Keene Scart Commander and then to JS Tech RGB2YUV and then into the Ultra, plus of course it would give me a spare RGB input on the Scart Commander :) I have a Scart to 3 x phono (component) adapter which I got from Keene a while ago and I think that this is wired this way - I'll check. Report back later...

Rob.

8. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Netgem web site seems to be down ATM :-( Can't access from either iPlayer or from PC. Will have to try later.

Rob.

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    netgem.com still down, but I went direct to https://www.netgemplatform.co.uk/upgrade/forumindex.htm and got the 4.2.2 update.

I have tried the component output and confirm that it works okay :) For me (probably due to 2 less conversion/switching stages) it gives a slightly sharper picture.

The only problem I've found so far with the update is that the LIST button programmed on my Pronto no longer works. The original remote works fine and all other buttons seem to be okay. I've tried learning the button again, but no joy... I'll have to take a look in ProntoEdit.

Edit: New problem... When you bring the iPlayer out of standby the component output isn't "initialised" properly. If you can get a composite picture up, switch to RGB and back to Component all is well - alternatively if you power off and on (switch on back) this initialised the output properly. Argh!! Cybersoga - please report this bug.

Rob.

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have reported it on your behalf, although i've yet to try it myself (bloomin' Keene takin' ages!). The person at netgem i've been in contact with his email address is pde@netgem.com

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have just phoned Keene, they were out of stock of the cable but have sent me one on friday so I should recieve it tomorrow.

12. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I'm at work ATM so can't try it, but I just had an e-mail from Pascal @ Netgem who tells me they've fixed the component output problem in the new 4.2.4 software :)

Rob.

13. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got NTL digital, but freeview in an upstairs room is something i've considered. This netgem box sounds pretty interesting. Also Rob100, the prompt reply from Netgem is something that impresses me. Companies that make an effort in this way should get credit and has me further considering their box.

14. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I too was shocked how quick Netgem responded to fixing this problem. They do have an advantage over other Freeview boxes as they don't have to wait for their "slot" to transmit updates over the air.

When looking for a new DVD player at the end of last year, I looked at Denon, Pioneer etc but settled on Arcam as I had read how good their support (and the product) was and having since put this to the test myself can confirm I made a wise choice. A m8 of mine has problems with his Rotel amp and DVD player and after several months still doesn't have the problems fixed - very poor...

Likewise I can't imagine Nokia, Panasonic etc fixing software bugs in their Freeview boxes so quickly even if they could...

Rob.

15. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which is what really, extracts the urine! With all the money the bigger companies make they can afford to put a little bit extra funds in here and there to fix problems.

What would be really good is if netgem had a version of this box with dual tuner and usb 2.0 hard disc support.

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I recieved the scart to YPbPr component cable today, it works fine. Auto aspect ratio switching works fine. Picture quality is the same as RGB scart, but I know this will be useful for most plasmas which havn't got built in scart sockets!

17. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    A better cable may yield better results. If Sky did this too that'd save a lot of people conversion cash. But still a positive move; especially for those who don't want Sky;)

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I didn't expect the PQ to be any better because it was already as good as it was gonna' get with a monster scart cable (RGB) - my screen has both RGB scart sockets and component input and although it's probably converting RGB to component internally this should be a loss-less process, which it appears to be because I can't tell the difference. It should improve the PQ for people using external converter boxes I would have thought.

19. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to say thanks to Cybersoga and Rob100 for checking the YUV connection. I'm planning to pick up a Netgem very soon.:D

20. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That's interesting.

By "Auto aspect ratio switching", do you mean 4:3 / 16:9 switching? I always thought was done using Scart pin 8. I wonder how your TV detects the aspect ratio when its only connected to pins 7, 11 and 15?

Chris

21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It uses line 23 WSS, which is basicly wide screen switching signal carried with the picture. have a look here for explanation.
    http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an9716.pdf

Of course your screen needs to be able to interperite this, Sony screens do.

22. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the link - you learn something new every day on these forums!!

Chris

23. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks from me also. I'd not heard of this before. How do we find out what TVs or plasma screens use line 23 wss? This kind of detailed technical info rarely seems to feature in consumer manuals. I have a Panny plasma (series 5) which I normally keep in ws mode - will this do autoswitching on line 23 coded material?

Regards

Rob

24. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't know, WSS is used to auto switch aspect ratio with composite and s-video connections too, and it works with DVD players that output WSS... try connecting your DVD player up with just composite and see if it works (auto switches aspect ratio) if it does it'll probably work with the netgem.

25. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my netgem from JohnLewis Direct with the £15 coupon and next day delivery (about £120). Easy to setup and downloaded 4.2.3 software although I don't have an Ethernet adapter yet.

I wasn't expecting WSS to work as the Pio is a display not a TV. Certainly the Pio didn't perform any format switching whilst browsing channels last night, so I expect this is a feature that will only benefit panels with built in or off board tuners. E.g. I noticed from a Google search that the Panny 5 series tuner (TUCT600?) has "WSS" on the spec sheet, but there's no mention of it on any Panny panel specs.

First impressions of the Netgem user interface are fantastic in comparison to my old Nokia OnDigital box. However, because I was studying the picture so hard, I found myself wondering about the picture quality a little. The Pioneer 433 is a pretty unforgiving panel and several effects caught my eye (running via a JS RGB2YUV box - I'm waiting for my Keened SCART2YUV cable).

Firstly, MPEG blocking seemed less pronounced than on the Nokia but perhaps as a result the picture seemed more noticeably "ditthered" on large areas of colour. Secondly, and I know it sounds daft, but on panning and fast motion the picture looked like it was at a slower frame rate - more jerky. Now obviously the frame rate is the same but I don't recall this effect being as noticeable with the Nokia which from memory gave smoother motion. I'll try a proper comparison soon, ideally on something like football which tends to highlight these effects.

Anyway, I'm impressed so far and definitely plan to keep the Netgem. I expect I'll quickly get used to any subtle differences in PQ. Besides, the direct YUV output will hopefully get rid of the "streaking-reds" on my RGB2YUV converter and save me having a £120+ box in my system :D

Phil

26. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I wonder if all you Netgem experts can answer a question once and for all for me?

Does the Netgem have an RF modulator? I would need it to be able to be on, say, RF channel 28 to feed the rest of my house.

Possible or not?

Regards
    Andrew

27. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately not.

The Nokia 221T definitely has an RF modulator, but it doesn't do RGB passthrough. Not sure about any other boxes.

Chris

28. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Nope, no RF modulator but you could always feed composite from 2nd scart into VCR - that's how I do it.

Rob.

29. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thanks for the definitive answer.

Rob100> My only problem with your idea is I don't have a VCR...

The question has to be asked... Why has the Netgem not got an RF modulator? Cost?

Regards
    Andrew

30. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not an ideal solution but you could buy an external RF modulator (from Keene for example) for approx £30. This will take a composite feed.

Rob.