New NAS advice

ninja_geezer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so decided to put everything on a new NAS...looking at the Synology 216+11 has great reviews.
1 question before i do this ,will it using the plex app it comes with stream my films at 1080p in DTS:X, DTS HD Master Audio ?
if not any recommendations.i want to get away from just using my pc all the time as a server.
ps. total NAS newbie :)

Plex NAS Compatibility

what are you going to use as a client (player) Tv smart app?

I just use my synology as storage, & use a nuc & a couple of android boxes with libreelec to play media.

Even with plex on a nas, as a server, you still need plex clients.

I couldn't find a plex app for it. If the files need transcoding, then you need a powerful nas.

So, the answer from me is, I don't know if the sony will play media from the nas

hopefully, someone else can help you

Is the sony a network player?

ok many thanks im sure someone will advise soon, i also have been looking at the
QNAP TS-251+ 2-bay NAS..

I have the TS-251+ and have Plex server on it, but TBH I don't really use plex much directly as media players apps on TVs/STBs seem to be more responsive then a plex client (even to plex server) rather than just the generic media server.

Its a good NAS though. In hindsight I wish I had got the 451 - filled it up quicker than I originally expected, so would have been handy to stuff some extra drives in and make another volume. I also have the 1GbE ports on it teamed into a LAG capable smart switch and LAG capable router for 2GbE effective bandwidth to Ethernet and wifi so that large file transfers will not disrupt streams at all.

I have the TS-251+ and have Plex server on it, but TBH I don't really use plex much directly as media players apps on TVs/STBs seem to be more responsive then a plex client (even to plex server) rather than just the generic media server.

Its a good NAS though. In hindsight I wish I had got the 451 - filled it up quicker than I originally expected, so would have been handy to stuff some extra drives in and make another volume. I also have the 1GbE ports on it teamed into a LAG capable smart switch and LAG capable router for 2GbE effective bandwidth to Ethernet and wifi so that large file transfers will not disrupt streams at all.
Sounds good ,does it stream ok and support all the current audio files ?

If you need to transcode to multiple device types, then you will want to use offline transcoding (easy to setup) which means more hard disc space needed (for video that is). For music I just use 320K mp3 and lossless flac to all devices, I havnt tried anything regularly, though I do also sometimes directly play 24 bit / 96K wav files form my PC or Mac (I'm a music producer so have many huge uncompressed high resolution audio files of my own making).

It seems to have the ability to utilize its network bandwidth easily (even without linking the ports). The limitation of course is CPU and memory (for 2Gb model depending on what else is running) for on the fly transcoding, which only really applies to video (DVDs/BDs copied to NAS for eg). It struggles to on-the-fly transcode an original resolution and format DVD (with 5.1 sound) for my iPhone, but absolutely fine to my TV as no need to transcode for the TV. I have upgraded mine to 8Gb, but this is because I run services under docker on it as well (its a Linux box of sorts basically after all).

Alternative suggestion. Instead of Plex use Kodi.

You'd have to buy a media streamer to hook up to your TV but it would be doing all the hard work and the NAS would just be serving files to it.
As long as you buy the right device (Plenty of reviews in the media streaming section of the site) it will play back anything you can throw at it, no need for transcoding etc.

Alternative suggestion. Instead of Plex use Kodi.

You'd have to buy a media streamer to hook up to your TV but it would be doing all the hard work and the NAS would just be serving files to it.
As long as you buy the right device (Plenty of reviews in the media streaming section of the site) it will play back anything you can throw at it, no need for transcoding etc.
ok thanks what about the Nvidia ?

I have one and I'm reasonably happy with it.

I am interested in the Vero 4K as I don't need any of the extra things the Shield does such as game streaming, Amazon, iPlayer etc.

I have one and I'm reasonably happy with it.

I am interested in the Vero 4K as I don't need any of the extra things the Shield does such as game streaming, Amazon, iPlayer etc.
Is there anything its not played or supported you have tried yet ?
also what dont you like about it ?

None of my issues are anything to do with it's ability to stream content from my NAS, for that it's excellent.
It plays everything I've thrown at it from old avi files, Bluray Remuxes and high bitrate 4K x265. Haven't tried a BDMV folder or Bluray ISO.
I'm not sure about HD audio as my amp isn't connected at the moment and I'm using a soundbar, apparently runnig SPMC (A Kodi fork for Android), HD audio is fine but with actual Kodi there are issues)

I'm having issues with Netflix where it is unwatchable and Youtube seems to be intemittently borked as well.
This isn't a problem as my TV supports both those already.

None of my issues are anything to do with it's ability to stream content from my NAS, for that it's excellent.
It plays everything I've thrown at it from old avi files, Bluray Remuxes and high bitrate 4K x265. Haven't tried a BDMV folder or Bluray ISO.
I'm not sure about HD audio as my amp isn't connected at the moment and I'm using a soundbar, apparently runnig SPMC (A Kodi fork for Android), HD audio is fine but with actual Kodi there are issues)

I'm having issues with Netflix where it is unwatchable and Youtube seems to be intemittently borked as well.
This isn't a problem as my TV supports both those already.
Thanks for the info,i to have been thinking on a Vero 4k as it gets very good reviews 10% off atm as well.

You can download Kodi for your PC/Mac and have a play with it, it actually helps for when you do get your box, whatever you decide as it's pretty much the same regadless of which flavour of OS you chose.

You can download Kodi for your PC/Mac and have a play with it, it actually helps for when you do get your box, whatever you decide as it's pretty much the same regadless of which flavour of OS you chose.
cool will have a play :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom