NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition

The QN94 is listed as enthusiast while the C1 is in the Pro section. I am looking for an upgrade into one of these models and I would like to get opinion if it is woth getting C1 over QN94 is worth 18% price difference. TV will be in the living room which is not bright and used for streaming movies primarily in the evening. Based on info I've found the C1 would be a better choice for this setup but am curious if someone who had more experience with both would say that much better for these conditions.
I guess it would depend how much you like the pro's OLED brings compared to LCD. If you aren't overly critical of things caused by poor screen uniformity then the QN94A is really a great TV, even in darker conditions.

If you have a pet hate of screen uniformity problems or motion blur, then OLED is the way to go.

I guess it would depend how much you like the pro's OLED brings compared to LCD. If you aren't overly critical of things caused by poor screen uniformity then the QN94A is really a great TV, even in darker conditions.

If you have a pet hate of screen uniformity problems or motion blur, then OLED is the way to go.
Thanks. I managed to see the C1, G1, QN94 and A90J in store (not ideal conditions) but here are my impressions:
  • The C1, G1 looked great in darker or indoor scenes but lacked punch during daylight scenes. It was quite flat. Is this something with the settings?
  • The QN94 was bit grayish in the dark/indoor scenes but way more punchy during the day scenes.
  • The A90J (did not see same demos as with the others) but it looked like a step up from C1, G1 - great darks and better highlights. Think I will go with the Samsung this year and swap when the Evo panel with radiator is in C series.

You can't really judge in a store, but you get the gist. OLED is better in darker conditions, Samsung in bright although I doubt you'll even be viewing the TV at home in conditions as bright as a showroom.

Both TVs are also going to be bright enough for SDR in most cases, its really HDR where the extra brightness can make a difference if you want to view in a brighter room.

A90J is already using a heatsink and the new LG EVO panel, a few TVs including this one are already using the new panel type, so expect similar levels of brightness and longevity from the new C2.

Hi Dodge, looking for some advice...
Managed to destroy my Sony KD55-XF9005 and need a replacement. Not really sure I was using it to its potential. (My comparison here is that I happily rode my 20y/o sportsbike for 5 years and was gobsmacked at the brakes and suspension on a new bike I tried, having previously thought my bike was there or thereabout, which it wasn't)

Sticking with 55"

Situation:
7ft viewing distance
<30° Viewing angle (sometimes my mates sit at 50°)
2-5 hours usage/day
Relatively dark room, not much daytime viewing

Current usage:
50% gaming (Xbox One S)
20% live sport (footy, motorsport)
20% catchup TV
10% movies

I use Netflix, Prime, iPlayer and Sky.

I mostly watch everything through the Xbox because I am lazy, although it's 2 years old now and I'll probably get a next gen when it gives up. I would also take recommendations on watching through something else if it provides a better experience!

In general, I spend a fair amount of time casually playing games such as Assassins Creed, Forza etc. which I would like to appreciate the beauty of. I also play FIFA where I care about motion etc. I don't care too much about catchup TV quality, except nature documentaries (mostly iPlayer). Good picture for sport would be nice.

Richer Sounds have offered me an LG OLED 55 A16 for £699
I have been recommended the LG OLED C1 as a much better model for £899 (also from RS)

Am also considering:
Sony XR55X94JU for £650
Sony XR55X90JU for £780
Samsung QE55Q80AATXXU for £700
Hisense 55U8GQTUK - £700

I can see that the C1 is a clear favourite in terms of quality, but considering the fact that I've been quite happy underutilising my Sony (probably), I'm wondering if I just don't have the eye for high-quality viewing, and therefore I'd be wasting my money anyway and I may aswell get a cheap and cheerful £350 panel. And if I did buy the C1 for example, would I notice the difference?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!

If you didn't find you were using much HDR on the XF90 then you'll probably be fine with the new X90J. The X94J is the same TV. The LG A1 you mention is also a good choice for an SDR TV.

If you can afford it though it's really hard to pass on the LG C1 at the moment, I think you'll appreciate the quality increase all round, even if you don't watch that much HDR, at least when you do, or when you get a next gen console you'll use more.

If you didn't find you were using much HDR on the XF90 then you'll probably be fine with the new X90J. The X94J is the same TV. The LG A1 you mention is also a good choice for an SDR TV.

If you can afford it though it's really hard to pass on the LG C1 at the moment, I think you'll appreciate the quality increase all round, even if you don't watch that much HDR, at least when you do, or when you get a next gen console you'll use more.
Thank you for the advice, I've pulled the trigger on the C1 and am looking forward to making a bit more effort to utilize its capabilities :)

Is it possible to buy a C1 with some kind of burnin protection/insurance?

So would the Samsung 55" QN94A be a better TV that the LG 55" C1? The Samsung is listed under the Enthusiast TV's which state these are TVs that will really showcase HDR, for those looking for the best picture quality possible. Whereas the LG C1 is listed under the Pro TV's. Slightly confused as most people seem to say OLED is the way to go?

So would the Samsung 55" QN94A be a better TV that the LG 55" C1? The Samsung is listed under the Enthusiast TV's which state these are TVs that will really showcase HDR, for those looking for the best picture quality possible. Whereas the LG C1 is listed under the Pro TV's. Slightly confused as most people seem to say OLED is the way to go?
It's in the tier above since its compared to some of the more premium OLEDs, and wins in some cases (or some peoples use, or preferences cases).
So if its pitted against some of the more premium OLEDs then it deserves the enthusiast grade IMO.

It actually used to be in the pro section, but I moved it up.

That doesn't necessarily mean it suits you personally more though. It's more important to decide between OLED or LCD before comparing TVs.

Hi there,

I've been looking through the reviews and recommendations thanks for the detail.

My current set is a 2010 Samsung le46b650 which i actually really like haha.

I'm either going to move to a 55" or 65". Seating position 2.6m meters from television. 65" will take up most of the wall but I'm very tempted to enjoy watching the football next saturday!

Between my partner, baby son and I we watch standard satellite TV, netflix etc, kids shows, currently play PS4 may upgrade to PS5 and enjoy watching football albeit streamed via sky go app. For the above and within my budget assuming the entry level TV's on your list would be best. Or could i go cheap and buy something much cheaper, the Philips 55PUS7906/12 was down to £379 now junped back to £499 but for my needs above would this be suitable? Looking for a set to last another 10 years :)

I'm looking at a budget of £600-£800 ideally.

1. Samsung QE55Q80A 55" QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV (down to £599 !)
2. The 65" is £899 which is a bit jump from the bargain £599
3. LG OLED55A16LA (£699)
4. 65" for £899

Do you have any other recommendations or am I down the right path? £599 looks a very good price for the Samsung but I think I want to stretch to the 65 inch, my partner thinks it's too big.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've been looking through the reviews and recommendations thanks for the detail.

My current set is a 2010 Samsung le46b650 which i actually really like haha.

I'm either going to move to a 55" or 65". Seating position 2.6m meters from television. 65" will take up most of the wall but I'm very tempted to enjoy watching the football next saturday!

Between my partner, baby son and I we watch standard satellite TV, netflix etc, kids shows, currently play PS4 may upgrade to PS5 and enjoy watching football albeit streamed via sky go app. For the above and within my budget assuming the entry level TV's on your list would be best. Or could i go cheap and buy something much cheaper, the Philips 55PUS7906/12 was down to £379 now junped back to £499 but for my needs above would this be suitable? Looking for a set to last another 10 years :)

I'm looking at a budget of £600-£800 ideally.

1. Samsung QE55Q80A 55" QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV (down to £599 !)
2. The 65" is £899 which is a bit jump from the bargain £599
3. LG OLED55A16LA (£699)
4. 65" for £899

Do you have any other recommendations or am I down the right path? £599 looks a very good price for the Samsung but I think I want to stretch to the 65 inch, my partner thinks it's too big.
Never go cheaper than the entry level TVs on my list, especially if you're using the TV for Netflix which supports HDR with a premium plan, and games which also regularly include HDR.
Go as big as you can with 2.6m viewing distance, but a 55" pro TV in the guide is going to be better than a 65 starter TV. So, if you did want to keep it small to please the wife, get a better quality TV.

Never go cheaper than the entry level TVs on my list, especially if you're using the TV for Netflix which supports HDR with a premium plan, and games which also regularly include HDR.
Go as big as you can with 2.6m viewing distance, but a 55" pro TV in the guide is going to be better than a 65 starter TV. So, if you did want to keep it small to please the wife, get a better quality TV.
Thanks for the feedback.

If I was going 65 " which would you have the Samsung of LG?

I know not to judge them in a show room but LG looked better in person but Samsung offers better value and 120hz for gaming

I'd decide based on the display technology. OLED will have less blur, better viewing angles, will look a lot better in dark conditions.

LCD will have less stutter, will cope better in brighter viewing conditions and supports 120hz 4k on one if its HDMI ports for future proofing gaming.

If your son is going to watch the TV a lot unattended with lots of cartoons etc that have logos, it's another reason not to go OLED.

How hisense 65 u8gq was selected,above samsunq q70a?? I feel like tv are recommend by specs,and not by actual expirince or should I say review..

How hisense 65 u8gq was selected,above samsunq q70a?? I feel like tv are recommend by specs,and not by actual expirince or should I say review..
TVs are based on specs, user experience and reviews.
U8G is mentioned in the guide for those that need wider viewing angles and a decent HDR experience that don't want to go OLED.

Q70A is a mid range TV. By comparison it has no FALD system, is edge lit, has poorer viewing angles and doesn't get bright enough to deliver a HDR experience to even make it an entry TV in this guide. It doesn't make the cut because it has very little going for it compared to the U8G.

I'm confused,for the Hisense U8GQ ,Pros - little motion blur,Cons - motion problems with film/tv content.How can it be both ?

I'm confused,for the Hisense U8GQ ,Pros - little motion blur,Cons - motion problems with film/tv content.How can it be both ?
Motion has a wide variety of aspects. TVs that tend to have less blur have more stutter. There are also lots of different ways motion can be good and bad. Hisense are a bit behind the others with motion so if you know you'll be picky with the occasional stutter here and there it's probably not the TV for you. I'd urge you to check HDTVtests review on Youtube to see what I'm talking about.

I still cant comprehend htf can this tv can be recommended..
horrible dark scenes and blooming with subtitles..

I still cant comprehend htf can this tv can be recommended..
horrible dark scenes and blooming with subtitles..
For the reasons I already mentioned. The horrible dark scenes and blooming are a product of its IPS panel technology, which is best avoided nowadays unless you need to keep costs, need good viewing angles and can't go OLED.

That's why in the guide it is mentioned as a last resort.

Helo, my first post here.
Looking for an advice. Which tv of these two (practically the same price c. £1140) i should chose:
  • LG OLED 65C1 65'
  • Samsung Q80A 75' (since i live in EU i assume it will be VA panel)

Sources:
  • streaming (Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime...)
  • PS5 (so I care about gaming functions like VRR, ALLM, good motion handling ...)
  • sat (sports, tv series, documentaries)

The room is not very sunny and will be used mainly in the evenings (2-3h per day on average). With LG i'm mostly concerned about burn in risk and Samsung is bigger.

Do you have any other recommendations?
PS. sorry for ma english

The Q80A can get brighter but also has poor reflection handling compared to the LG OLED so it's not really too much better for bright conditions.

I'd go for the higher end, smaller TV personally. But it's really a personal choice and not everyone will choose the same. You cannot really measure the difference between having a higher end smaller TV and a lower end larger TV as it's really a matter of opinion.

Hi, are there any recommendations for TVs in the 40' range?
I need to buy 2 which will be used in bedrooms. Will only be used to watch virgin media and netflix. Viewing angles can be poor as they will be viewed straight on.

Hi, are there any recommendations for TVs in the 40' range?
I need to buy 2 which will be used in bedrooms. Will only be used to watch virgin media and netflix. Viewing angles can be poor as they will be viewed straight on.
There are 42" OLEDs now but they are very expensive. All the other smaller TVs are too low-end to make it in this guide.
That essentially means they should be treated as SDR only TVs and a plan should be in place to avoid HDR like an external Apple TV or similar.

I'd go for cheap models, but from a manufacturer making their own TVs still at that size like Sony, LG, Samsung, TCL or Hisense. HD or FHD is fine for smaller TVs.

Second hand market+a streaming box or stick may actually be better for you. Better TVs were made at smaller sizes in the past and then you don't have to deal with the HDR problem.

Hi @Dodgexander. Really comprehensive guide, some great info in here, thank you. Thank you also for your feedback on my post yesterday regarding moving from a Samsung LCD to an OLED.
Looking specifically at 77”, would you recommend the LG G1 over the C2? Both currently same price. Sadly, the G2 is out of budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom