NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition

How many HDMI 2.1 ports (4k 120hz) does the TCL 65C825 UK model have please? Im hearing conflicting information. If only one HDMI 2.1 port, wouldn’t this be used for eArc if connecting e.g a Sonos Beam 2 for Dolby atmos, making all the other ports redundant for 4k 120hz gameplay e.g Xbox series X
TCL 65c825 purchased in the Czech Republic size 65 - 2x HDMI 2.1 4k/120 hz and 2x2.0 4k/60 hz
but acr eacr some people angry including me
Playing on the Xbox in 120 hz is accompanied by problems with vrr.
If you want a really functional 4k120hz vrr only LG oled C1 ...

Last edited:
How many HDMI 2.1 ports (4k 120hz) does the TCL 65C825 UK model have please? Im hearing conflicting information. If only one HDMI 2.1 port, wouldn’t this be used for eArc if connecting e.g a Sonos Beam 2 for Dolby atmos, making all the other ports redundant for 4k 120hz gameplay e.g Xbox series X
game on tcl R646 (tcl c825)

It doesn't have any, only the EU version has one. Usually, eARC can be bolted on to HDMI 2.0 ports so it's likely one of those will be used for a soundbar on the European TV.
Thanks for your reply. Can’t believe a £1000+ TV in the UK doesn’t come with hdmi 2.1 - madness! Oh well, my quest for a sub £1000 65” HDMI 2.1 Non-Oled tv continues. Fingers crossed 2022.

TCL 65c825 purchased in the Czech Republic size 65 - 2x HDMI 2.1 4k/120 hz and 2x2.0 4k/60 hz
but acr eacr some people angry including me
Playing on the Xbox in 120 hz is accompanied by problems with vrr.
If you want a really functional 4k120hz vrr only LG oled C1 ...

Thanks for your reply, I do not want an OLED tv though due to the content I consume and the risk of burn in.

This problem with Mediatek SoCs stretches to every TV without a dedicated picture processor. Not only the C825.

LGs use in-house chips and don't share the problem. But there are Samsung and Sony TVs with the same SoC + a dedicated processor that avoids the issue.

My TV shares the problem (Hisense U8G, American version) and I don't notice the blurrier text unless I look for it in 4k 120hz mode.

Tento problém s Mediatek SoC se vztahuje na každý televizor bez vyhrazeného obrazového procesoru. Nejen C825.

LG používají vlastní čipy a nesdílejí problém. Existují však televizory Samsung a Sony se stejným SoC + vyhrazeným procesorem, který se tomuto problému vyhýbá.

Moje TV sdílí problém (Hisense U8G, americká verze) a nevšiml jsem si rozmazanějšího textu, pokud jej nehledám v režimu 4k 120hz.
lcan it be fixed in the future firmware? or is it impossible ??

lcan it be fixed in the future firmware? or is it impossible ??
I don't think so. The first TV documented to have this problem was the Sony X900H (XH9005 Europe) Sony released an update to apply a sharpening filter in 4k 120hz mode to make it a little clearer, but it doesn't resolve the problem.

Myslím, že ne. První televizí zdokumentovanou, která měla tento problém, byl Sony X900H (XH9005 Europe). Společnost Sony vydala aktualizaci pro použití ostřícího filtru v režimu 4k 120 Hz, aby to bylo trochu jasnější, ale problém to neřeší.
tso in the end it will probably be better to use the TV in 60hz mode and thus lose the lower delay which is in hdmi 2.1 120hz

vI also noticed that with the HDMI 2.1 120 hz mode, no vrr is a jagged font. 60 hz doesn't do that.

On the avs forum man writes:
Upon further testing it seems the TV can't display 4:4:4 properly at all. Because setting HDMI to 1.4 makes the PS4 output 4:2:0 so the jaggies go away. And setting HDMI to 2.1 makes the PS4 output 4:4:4 so the jaggies appear. So yea I'm pretty sure it's a 4:4:4 display issue.

So I thought I would use a TV 120 hz without vrr and this other problem will turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_085917.jpg
    IMG_20220124_085917.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220124_085908.jpg
    IMG_20220124_085908.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220124_085854.jpg
    IMG_20220124_085854.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I'm not sure the chroma issue is related, there are also different TVs in North America to Europe, so they can have different problems.
You can use 4k 120hz, but if you notice things like the text not being clear you can revert to 60hz.

HDR is always 4:2:0 btw, it's never 4:4:4. So that's probably why the PS4 output 4:2:0 not because a fault. PS4 is also a HDMI 2.0 device and cannot display 4k 120hz without reducing to 4:2:0.

I'm not sure the chroma issue is related, there are also different TVs in North America to Europe, so they can have different problems.
You can use 4k 120hz, but if you notice things like the text not being clear you can revert to 60hz.

HDR is always 4:2:0 btw, it's never 4:4:4. So that's probably why the PS4 output 4:2:0 not because a fault. PS4 is also a HDMI 2.0 device and cannot display 4k 120hz without reducing to 4:2:0.
oday I wrote on TV support and showed them photos of toothiness me 65c825.
I was told that the tv really reduces the resolution in 120 Hz and upscales it to 4k it accompanies these jagged edges, they are working to fix I was recommended to use the 60hz mode :((
Sory my english..

I don't think there can be a true fix, but they may apply a sharpening filter to make it clearer.
I'm not sure if there's any reduction of resolution, just a problem with it not being as clear.
It's a problem from MediaTek, so out of TV manufacturers control.

I don't think there can be a true fix, but they may apply a sharpening filter to make it clearer.
I'm not sure if there's any reduction of resolution, just a problem with it not being as clear.
It's a problem from MediaTek, so out of TV manufacturers control.
it is logical that a sharpening filter is used because when I set the sharpness to 60 hz At 100 I get the same jagged fonts.
At 120 Hz, the maximum sharpness value is probably set to hard and the sharpness slider does not respond to any settings, thus reducing the way you write blur. Thanks to this trick, most people will not notice that To some problems and half the resolution

Any good 50 inch tv? I haved Hisense U7QF, but has broken after 6 motnhs and i got refund (and theres no more this series on stores), so now i'm looking for someone new. I don't want oled, i'm thinking of TCL C725, C82 is too expensive. On other side i think about 50X85J but measured contrast is only 2600:1, in 55 inch is almost 4000:1 but it's more expensive. I don't like Samsungs. What i know LG have bad Local Dimming in models with VA panel. I watch alot of movies, mostly on Netflix.

LG OLED65C14LB 65 Inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV | Costco UK - seems like a good price? Very tempted! Also available for £1390 at Costco!
Yes, it's a good price for a highly recommended TV in the pro section of this guide.
Any good 50 inch tv? I haved Hisense U7QF, but has broken after 6 motnhs and i got refund (and theres no more this series on stores), so now i'm looking for someone new. I don't want oled, i'm thinking of TCL C725, C82 is too expensive. On other side i think about 50X85J but measured contrast is only 2600:1, in 55 inch is almost 4000:1 but it's more expensive. I don't like Samsungs. What i know LG have bad Local Dimming in models with VA panel. I watch alot of movies, mostly on Netflix.
U7Q wasn't really replaced in the 2021-22 lineup so there's not really anything similar. My advice; don't buy anything unless you can reach the starter HDR models in this guide.

Hey Dodgexander! Me again.

Im now torn between the 75 inch q80a vs 75inch q80t vs 75 inch x90j (all of them are VA Panel's in my country and also in the same price category).
Which one of them would be the best one?

Last edited:
Hey Dodgexander! Me again.

Im now torn between the 75 inch q80a vs 75inch q80t vs 75 inch x90j (all of them are VA Panel's in my country and also in the same price category).
Which one of them would be the best one?
The Q80T is an older model and not really any better, so no need to consider it unless you can make a saving.

Q80A and X90J are in the starter HDR section of this guide, pros and cons of each are there. There's no one best TV, it depends on you.

Yes, it's a good price for a highly recommended TV in the pro section of this guide.

U7Q wasn't really replaced in the 2021-22 lineup so there's not really anything similar. My advice; don't buy anything unless you can reach the starter HDR models in this guide.
Thank you! I've now stumbled across the
Samsung QE75LS03AAUXXU for 1200 and although from your previous comments I realise the C1 is a better TV than the Frame - the bigger size for 200 less does seem tempting! Very confused!

Thank you! I've now stumbled across the
Samsung QE75LS03AAUXXU for 1200 and although from your previous comments I realise the C1 is a better TV than the Frame - the bigger size for 200 less does seem tempting! Very confused!
As you say, the frame is a worse TV than the C1 and its non-frame brother the Q70A doesn't even make it in this guide.

Still trying to figure out what is the best TV for a PS5 or Xbox seriesX. I am sure a perfect TV for next gen gaming will cost me a lot, but still I want to get a 120Hz 4 or 8K and HDR+, what can you recommend me ?
LG C1 is recommeded for gaming...can't go wrong!

There's a host of reasons LG OLEDs are better for gaming; I wouldn't consider others unless you have a preference instead toward video instead of gaming. Even then, hard to ignore LG.

It should be pretty clear with the pros and cons of each TV in this guide, I added a gaming row just for that reason.

Hi,
I could have some help to decide new to for me.
I mostly watch sport (40%) from streaming services (F1, football), movies (40%) from streaming services (Netflix, HBO) and Broadcast TV (20%) includes movies, sports and news as HD quality. 0% gaming

TV would be located in living room with few big windows. Sun is pretty much never coming directly from windows but room itself is normal bright. Windows has at the moment blinds but not curtains.

TV usage is mainly in evening excluding F1 which usually runs at 3-5 PM and random usage at in the middle of the day (e.g during lunch breaks).

What TV could be recommended from the list? I took few TV's from the list and put the price tag so it would easier to recommend.

• Philips 65OLED705 1079,10 € (maybe able to get 959,20 €)
  • LG OLED65B1 1390€
  • TCL 65C825 999€
  • Samsung 65QN85A 1299,00€
  • Samsung 65" QN90A 1217€ (Can't be sure do I get IPS or VA panel though)

Last edited:
Hi,
I could have some help to decide new to for me.
I mostly watch sport (40%) from streaming services (F1, football), movies (40%) from streaming services (Netflix, HBO) and Broadcast TV (20%) includes movies, sports and news as HD quality. 0% gaming

TV would be located in living room with few big windows. Sun is pretty much never coming directly from windows but room itself is normal bright. Windows has at the moment blinds but not curtains.

TV usage is mainly in evening excluding F1 which usually runs at 3-5 PM and random usage at in the middle of the day (e.g during lunch breaks).

What TV could be recommended from the list? I took few TV's from the list and put the price tag so it would easier to recommend.

• Philips 65OLED705 1079,10 € (maybe able to get 959,20 €)
  • LG OLED65B1 1390€
  • TCL 65C825 999€
  • Samsung 65QN85A 1299,00€
  • Samsung 65" QN90A 1217€ (Can't be sure do I get IPS or VA panel though)
I'd go with the Philips and accept you're gonna need to control light in the room with the blinds more. Especially when you use HDR on the TV.

If you're not interested in controlling the light and don't want to deal with glare so much, the TCL is suited.

The QN85A is definitely IPS and the QN90A could be IPS or VA, hard to really recommend TVs using IPS panels at all unless you have a specific need for them...for example you need good viewing angles. TVs using IPS panels give a lot worse experience watching in darker conditions, but if you're always watching in the day or with lights on it may not be that bad for you.

The LG B1 is dimmer than the Philips OLED, but it has a better OS.

One thing to note is the OS on Philips and TCL can be a bit cumbersome so you may want to use those with a dedicated streaming device. LG and Samsung are a bit more robust.

The QN94 is listed as enthusiast while the C1 is in the Pro section. I am looking for an upgrade into one of these models and I would like to get opinion if it is woth getting C1 over QN94 is worth 18% price difference. TV will be in the living room which is not bright and used for streaming movies primarily in the evening. Based on info I've found the C1 would be a better choice for this setup but am curious if someone who had more experience with both would say that much better for these conditions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom