Hi - I see the LG Nano91 does not get a brilliant review in the guide. But it's now £699 at Curry's in a 55 inch and the TVs that are better seem to be a good few hundred pounds more.

I stream shows / films (iPlayer, Disney+, Netflix) and watch a bit of live TV (e.g. sports). For me £700 is absolute top budget so my question is whether I will be able to see the difference from a Nano91 vs. e.g. a TU7300 or something for around £500. I don't game.

Thanks!

Hi - I see the LG Nano91 does not get a brilliant review in the guide. But it's now £699 at Curry's in a 55 inch and the TVs that are better seem to be a good few hundred pounds more.

I stream shows / films (iPlayer, Disney+, Netflix) and watch a bit of live TV (e.g. sports). For me £700 is absolute top budget so my question is whether I will be able to see the difference from a Nano91 vs. e.g. a TU7300 or something for around £500. I don't game.

Thanks!
Its a bit like comparing apples and oranges. On paper the LG is a much better TV with local dimming and a 120hz panel, but its also using an IPS panel, so despite having local dimming its contrast ratio and blacks will actually be poorer than the Samsung TV.

If I were you I wouldn't compromise on quality and track prices on upcoming deals on TVs like the Sony XH90/XH92 instead. You can already find those in budget on Sony's refurb shop: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

But you'll have to be quick, as the TVs come and go fast (as you'll read in that thread).

EDIT* this advice is given on the premise that you have already compared panel type between IPS and VA, and have concluded VA is better for your viewing conditions.

Direct LED?

There's a real benefit to FALD (Full Array) but the benefits of Direct LED over Edge-Lit are not that large and a lot of the Pros have Cons and Vice Versa.

Samsung TU7/8 - Edge Lit. VA
LG 50NANO793NE - IPS
Philips PUS85xx - Direct Lit. VA
TCL C715 - Direct Lit. VA

The Hisense is the only FALD set and the only one I'd recommend for HDR viewing. It still doesn't really have the brightness to pull off HDR overly well though, you'd need to look at the U8Q for that.

No TV is perfect, but I would advise having a look through the Hisense area of the forum before buying as motion isn't a strong point for Hisense TVs.
50NANO793NE is on VA panel not IPS, confirmed.

50NANO793NE is on VA panel not IPS, confirmed.

I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer, however, the entirety of LG's 2020 lineup is OLED or IPS LCD AFAIK.

Happy to be proved wrong and apologise if I am. The fact that LG themselves don't even tell you on their website is extremely poor.

Regardless of what it is, it's not recommended.

I'm still looking for new tv, all 50" TCL C715 have problems with ghosting, with my budget the best option is so far this LG, and maybe Panasonic 40 or 50HX800E and Sony 49XH8096, both have similar prices, Hisense is hard to get in my country. I've returned Philips PUS8505.

Panasonic 40 or 50HX800E

A lot of Panasonics LCD TVs are made by Vestel in Turkey and get a Panasonic badge stuck on them,
They're the same as the budget TVs supermarkets sell.

If it's not in the guide at the beginning of this thread it's not worth looking at.

If the TV is a 50" and not 49" its VA. LG sell both 49" IPS and 50" VA models. There's no sense in which are which, but what matters is the size. This should already be taken care of in the guide, so if you notice any mistake please let me know.

Panasonic 50HX800 is mentioned in the TVs to avoid section. Sony 49XH8096 is a recommended TV if you come to the conclusion you want an IPS panel instead of VA.

Make sure you read the opening post and the links I have given with extra info, because you have to understand panel types on TVs before you can really compare one model to another. For instance, ghosting is caused by motion blur which is a trend on all TVs using VA panels, and the cheaper that TV the more ghosting it will have. So if you want to avoid ghosting and don't have the budget to afford 120hz mid range models using VA panels, you are probably best considering only TVs using IPS panels like the Sony you have mentioned. These TVs are in the guide under the spoiler:
Spoiler: LCD TVs with wider viewing angles, but worse contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance.

I prefer VA panel, for me Dolby Vision is better option then HDR, but don't want Philips, i haved many problems with this tv. Samsung's don't support couple of formats, like DTS, so this will be annoying because i watch many movies from HDD.

for me Dolby Vision is better option then HDR

I think you need to read a bit on the different HDR formats.

While Dolby Vision might be nice to have, the TV will still have HDR. However the TVs you're looking at aren't capable of displaying any variation of HDR well, so having Dolby Vision is a bit immaterial.

I have a decent HDR capable LCD. It has Dolby Vision on it. I can't tell which it's doing, I can see HDR is working, but which variety of HDR it is, I'd need to see it side by side.

So better choose cheeper LG 50UN7300 then 50NANO793NE? Both have VA panel and both don't have DV, but picture quality is the same (both have the same processor)? What other tv's you reccomend from 43-50" on VA panel and with Dolby Vision and what in the same size but without DV? Price around 500GBP. Or what is the best 3-4 tv's in that price that have VA panel (maybe without Hisense that is hard to get in my country)?

Last edited:
So better choose cheeper LG 50UN7300 then 50NANO793NE? Both have VA panel and both don't have DV, but picture quality is the same (both have the same processor)? What other tv's you reccomend from 43-50" on VA panel and with Dolby Vision and what in the same size but without DV? Price around 500GBP. Or what is the best 3-4 tv's in that price that have VA panel (maybe without Hisense that is hard to get in my country)?
I think you are going to have to keep your expectations realistic when looking at cheaper TVs. This is why in the guide:
Low tier
Its becoming harder and harder to recommend any TVs in this price range due to the increased plethora of HDR content (most of which is unavoidable with built in apps). If your TV is a similar size and only 10 years old it may be better to reconsider keeping your current TV, or possibly treating the TV as SDR only.

HDR is basically a no-go on budget TVs, perhaps the Hisense U7Q aside. What you are buying is the ability to accept a HDR signal, not necessarily the ability to display HDR properly. Bob explained it above. Basically it means you are best treating the TV as SDR only, and any thought of which HDR formats are accepted by the TV are really not relevant, since you shouldn't be using HDR at all. You can look for TVs that accept a Dolby Vision signal, but you will not find a TV that can actually display it properly in this price range.

The same goes for other traits that are associated with budget TVs. You've mentioned ghosting, which is a product of motion blur. TVs that use 60hz VA panels are not going to be good in this area. Really you need to go up to 120hz VA panels in the mid range instead to avoid this as much as possible.

Unfortunately the market has changed in recent years and its rare to find mid-range models nowadays with 120hz panels. The gap has been filled in most markets with Hisense and TCL TVs. In Europe however there is still a big gap between availability of many 60hz VA models and no availability of 120hz VA models. This gap is even larger the smaller you go, since models like the TCL C815 which runs a 120hz panel at 65" and 75" sizes, does not run it at 55".

The cheapest way to get a TV that ticks all the boxes for you would be looking at models like the Hisense U8Q. The Sony XH9005 is also an option, but beware its HDR is still quite dim, so it will have problems in some titles. The next best would be the Samsung Q70T which like the other TVs runs a 120hz VA panel. Like many budget models though, you can forget about using HDR on this TV. At this point it may even be cheaper for you to get the 65" TCL C815. But beware it also is not a true HDR TV.

Don't be fooled by marketing of TVs, it makes you think every TV can display HDR. The truth is quite different, and TVs that can't do it properly are best not doing it at all.

For now in house i have only old 32" Philips FullHD tv on IPS. Thats why i want to buy something else, but i can't buy something with 120Hz, simple don't have money fot premium tv's ( i have budget around 500GPB) and i don't have room for 55+ inch tv, 50" is maximum. I watch a lot of Netflix, Plex, Prime and from HDD, i don't play any games. I'm looking for tv that gives me good picture, not like Philips PUS8505 where i haved bad DSE and problem with good picture (unnatural colours in dark scenes etc.). Don't want to wait couple of months for better priced 2021 models.

Last edited:
For now in house i have only old 32" Philips FullHD tv on IPS. Thats why i want to buy something else, but i can't buy something with 120Hz, simple don't have money fot premium tv's ( i have budget around 500GPB) and i don't have room for 55+ inch tv, 50" is maximum. I watch a lot of Netflix, Plex, Prime and from HDD, i don't play any games. I'm looking for tv that gives me good picture, not like Philips PUS8505 where i haved bad DSE and problem with good picture (unnatural colours in dark scenes etc.). Don't want to wait couple of months for better priced 2021 models.
You are in the unfortunate position many people are in. Many of the picture problems with low tier TVs are down to using HDR, so you should plan to use the TV you buy with SDR only. That can be a problem with built in apps since there's no way to disable HDR...with built in apps you either enjoy UHD and HDR, or HD and SDR. Best thing to do would be to pair whichever TV you buy with an external device for smart TV duty such as a Roku or Firestick and disable HDMI v2 on the HDMI port settings of the TV, disallowing HDR to be passed to the TV.

DSE and picture accuracy are also not things that are very good on low tier TVs, DSE itself a product of poor screen uniformity, which can differ from one sample to another. You basically have no option other than to go for one of the other 50" models in the guide such as the Samsung or LGs, but make sure your expectations are low. Neither of the other TVs will have better DSE than the Philips, but you can get more lucky (or less lucky) in the panel lottery when you buy one.

Buying a TV now can be confusing. Sometimes you think that a new TV must be an improvement compared to what you're using now, but that isn't always the case. HDR has a big part to play in having problems with the picture on low tier TVs, so as long as you treat the TV for SDR only, you should be okay.

A Detailed review of the Sony 49XH8505 that Dodgeander references in his mid tier at 50” states that measured native contrast is 3192:1, a standard brightness of 450 nits with peak brightness of 1000 nits (i may be reading the review wrong, but I was impressed with the picture quality and now I know why!).

If you check the Sony refurb site on Thursday mornings you can get a grade A refurb at 49” XH9505 for £479 and add the 5yrs warranty for £60 afterwards.

a standard brightness of 450 nits with peak brightness of 1000 nits (i may be reading the review wrong, but I was impressed with the picture quality and now I know why!).
From the review:
As for the gradation of very bright tones in HDR mode, the Bravia 49XH8505 shows all bright details up to 1000 cd / m ^ 2, regardless of the type of signal.

Basically means the TVs peak brightness is 450 nits, and it uses tone mapping by default to take 1000 nit content and map it to 450. It is not the same as TVs that can reach 1000 nits native like the Sony XH9505. Some content will have less than 1000, some content 4000, more rarely even 10,000. So the TV will have less trouble with lower nit masters than high nit masters as less tone mapping has to happen.

Tone mapping is there though, and it does mean the picture will be a lot more flat than a brighter TV.

From the review:

Basically means the TVs peak brightness is 450 nits, and it uses tone mapping by default to take 1000 nit content and map it to 450. It is not the same as TVs that can reach 1000 nits native like the Sony XH9505. Some content will have less than 1000, some content 4000, more rarely even 10,000. So the TV will have less trouble with lower nit masters than high nit masters as less tone mapping has to happen.

Tone mapping is there though, and it does mean the picture will be a lot more flat than a brighter TV.
Interesting thanks, still impressed with it (but then my starting point was low) 😉

For now i'm thinking about Samsung 50TU85, mostly because one stand in the middle (better option for me couse i can't hang tv, at least for now), second option is 50NANO793NE, but Samsung is cheaper and picture quality in SDR is probably the same or close. Third option is one of TCL's. Don't know how black looks on both because one have direct and second edge led backlight. Samsung also have thinner frames. I have Xiaomi Mi Box 4K so maybe there will by option to turn of HDR on Netflix or Prime. Don't know if Samsung still have problems with clouding or vertical banding, i haved Samsung tv, but it was 28 inch Hd Ready that i haved for 10 years, i have also HD Ready 26 or 27 inch Sony that works for 15 years!! without any issue and 5 years old 32 Philips FullHD with slowly dying backlight.

Last edited:
For now i'm thinking about Samsung 50TU85, mostly because one stand in the middle (better option for me couse i can't hang tv, at least for now), second option is 50NANO793NE, but Samsung is cheaper and picture quality in SDR is probably the same or close. Third option is one of TCL's. Don't know how black looks on both because one have direct and second edge led backlight. Samsung also have thinner frames. I have Xiaomi Mi Box 4K so maybe there will by option to turn of HDR on Netflix or Prime. Don't know if Samsung still have problems with clouding or vertical banding, i haved Samsung tv, but it was 28 inch Hd Ready that i haved for 10 years, i have also HD Ready 26 or 27 inch Sony that works for 15 years!! without any issue and 5 years old 32 Philips FullHD with slowly dying backlight.
TU8500 and Nano79 are usually a waste of money unless you need the extra HDMI ports.
You can buy a universal central stand for any TV.
That's why in the guide Samsung TU7xxx / LG UN7xxx are mentioned first. Same TVs, but cheaper. The more expensive Samsung/LG models do not add any better picture quality.

Edge/Direct makes no difference because none of these TVs have good local dimming. FALD is something that can be a benefit, but its a feature that usually starts on mid tier TVs and sometimes even high tier. The Hisense U7Q is the exception to this rule.
You already had a direct lit TV in the Philips but its screen uniformity was bad. Direct is not better than edge any more on low tier TVs.

Its common to get FALD and direct vs edge mixed up. Remember it does not make a difference unless the TV is a FALD model.

Screen uniformity will be down to luck between all the 50" models you are considering, be it Samsung, LG, TCL or Philips. TVs that can increase your chances of getting better screen uniformity would be models with FALD like the Hisense U7Q or Sony XH9005.

Hey @Dodgexander do you know if there is any difference in the image quality between Philips 70pus7805 and 9005? I can see the higher model has 4 sided ambilight and android tv (which im not even sure i like) but otherwise both are non-fald 60hz screens which are pretty reasonably priced. With 7805 costing around £700 and 9005 around £900 is it worth the price hike? Also would something like Sony Hx9005 be much nicer if i hunt down a refurb from sony center? Happy to consider other 65 and 70 inch alternatives.

Thanks for your great write-up btw. Wouldn't even know where to start without it!👌

You'll be getting a downgrade in spec with those since they aren't FALD TVs. Really you want to be looking at the Sony XH9005 minimum, more preferably the Sony XH9505.

Have a read up about HDR, and then you should understand why the U7Q is ahead of the others in the guide. The guide is in order of best to worse, but that doesn't mean your own usage may change the order. A lot of points you made have already been addressed in the last post so I won't touch on them, but really you should spend some time reading up a bit about TV panel types and HDR before looking at specific models.
Hey Dodgexander, you recommended I look at the Sony 75XH9505 which looks like a cracking set however I have seen some good deals on the 19 model 75XG9505, How does this compare in your opinion (i don't game at all) cheers

Hey @Dodgexander do you know if there is any difference in the image quality between Philips 70pus7805 and 9005? I can see the higher model has 4 sided ambilight and android tv (which im not even sure i like) but otherwise both are non-fald 60hz screens which are pretty reasonably priced. With 7805 costing around £700 and 9005 around £900 is it worth the price hike? Also would something like Sony Hx9005 be much nicer if i hunt down a refurb from sony center? Happy to consider other 65 and 70 inch alternatives.

Thanks for your great write-up btw. Wouldn't even know where to start without it!👌
The 9 series has Android TV but apart from that picture quality will be the same, see all the differences here:

Don't get fooled by thinking 9 series is necessary a better TV than 7 or 8 series. Sometimes that isn't the case. 9 series used to be Philips high end model number, but nowadays they are low end TVs.
Hey Dodgexander, you recommended I look at the Sony 75XH9505 which looks like a cracking set however I have seen some good deals on the 19 model 75XG9505, How does this compare in your opinion (i don't game at all) cheers
Its the same TV but a year older. Each TV has identical hardware.

Potentially better HDR going by Rtings figures. However could that be down to panel lottery?
No its down to the firmware on the older model when they tested. Both TVs run the same firmware now, and are identical in performance. For a better idea of what to expect, look at the more recent XH95 review.

The 75" XG95 also had the wide viewing angle filter which they used on 55" and 65" XH95 models the next year, but didn't previously use on 55" and 65" XG95's.

I'm still looking for new tv, all 50" TCL C715 have problems with ghosting, with my budget the best option is so far this LG, and maybe Panasonic 40 or 50HX800E and Sony 49XH8096, both have similar prices, Hisense is hard to get in my country. I've returned Philips PUS8505.
Why returned Phillips PUS8505?

Great guide @Dodgexander but boy has the TV market got confusing. I used to be fully up to date 5-10 years ago on all things TV and home cinema, but after changing my passion to cycling I feel almost back to square one after spending a few hours reading up and watching some reviews!

I'm currently changing my setup from a JVC HD350 projector and I'm after a 65" TV instead so I can watch in any conditions and not need to bother with full blackout.

As I don't watch loads anymore ideally want to spend the minimum to get a decent picture. From reading it sounds like HDR causes issues on cheaper panels. Whats the best value 65" if I just use it for not HDR content from Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube? I tried to follow the guide but I keep getting confused!

Will be using an Apple TV and/or Chromecast and an AV receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom