New MP3 players

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by AaronW, Mar 14, 2006.

1. AaronW

AaronW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have lost my HD5 so I need to replace it. Don't like the look of the Sony so thinking about a 30GB iPod.

Anyone know if I should hold back and wait for something else about to come out?

2. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea for a thread actually; I'm interested to know what people may know about upcoming MP3 players! I'm in the market for a new one myself and want to hold back in case there is something else on the horizon..

3. Graythebig

Graythebig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very much thinking the same.

My CD changer needs replacing, but i am thinking that i can get a pretty good mp3 solution for the same price, and connect via the tape deck. Therefore, ceasing the need to periodically change the cds (i'm lazy). and i don't want to change from the standard head unit in my car.

My problem is that there does not seem to be a difinitive solution. i.e. ipod appear to have poor sound quality compared to sony (no line out), and others like creative do not seem to have the same back up with regards to availability of accessories etc. sony i feel are missing a trick with regards to competing with the mp3 units with video capabilities. (something i would make use of if i had).

Please bear in mind that the above paragraph is just what i have heard, i have never owned an mp3 player of any sort.

My biggest problem is that i seem to be entering the market at the wrong time. A friend bought an I-river, something i was very interested in 2 years ago, (but could not justify the expenditure like i can now). A quick check of the prices and they appear to be about the same price. I would have expected to get more for my money, 2 years on, and why haven't the i-rivers had a facelift by now (or have they that i am not aware of)?

the ipod video screen is too small in my opinion, (maybe the archos is the solution?) and i have heard rumours that they may be announcing a new model soon. surely sony are about to enter the market, and maybe i-river will be updated.

Then there's the toshiba, philips etc etc. (and now my head hurts)

I feel the smart thing is to wait a few months as perhaps the next batch are just around the corner. but, i am fed up with just having radio in may car.

Maybe i am not giving the current generation enough credit?

I hope the above makes some kind of sense, and i apologise to the first posters for not knowing the answers they seek. :confused:

4. Tulkinghorn

Tulkinghorn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 20Mb Samsung Napster. I usually rip CDs to MP3 at 160 kbps using Widows Media Player as Napster, for some reason upgraded their software and left it being able to rip at 128 only. I bought an extremely cheap (£4.00 I think) 3.5 jack plug to phono lead, supposed to be gold plated. This, I plug into the front of my Yamaha AV amp (80 watts into 5 channels or 110 into 2). This works really well. The amp has to be set to about third power to get a reasonable belt out of it but it sounds great. Playing a playlist is best use for this. Hope this helps.

5. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Remember that if you switch from Sony to Apple you give up the big Sony plus point of gapless ATRAC playback (depends on what formats you've been feeding your Sony). It all depends on what you really need from a player and, if nothing currently fits, whether you can hang on for the player of your dreams to come to market.

Have to say, I really like the look of the new Sony (HD5 is a nicer size though), but lack of a 30GB option stops me from retiring my Karma.

6. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Btw, on the rumour side of new mp3 players, Apple's 30th birthday is the 1st April or something, so appearently some new Ipod (s) will be revealed, from various macrumour sites it appears there will be some full screen video Ipod, as in the screen takes up the entire player, like the Archos Multimedia stuff.

7. Graythebig

Graythebig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard about the rumours, and think i will wait to see what happens. and in the meantime, look at a cheaper mp3 solution for the car.