New Movies System - I'm not impressed

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by nheather, Apr 22, 2007.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,991
    I have the full Sky package and I have to admit that I don't make huge use of the Movie channels but whenever I've looked at it there always seemed a reasonable choice of new films.

But I'm not impressed with this new system for the following reasons.

(a) The two Priemere channels are the same but with a +1 hour shift.
    (b) The premiere channels only start at 4pm and 5pm
    (c) The premiere channels repeat regularly - for example todays schedule is identical to yesterday's schedule
    (d) Some other movie channels only start at 12pm
    (e) There seems to be a higher degree of repetition than normal. For example I've seen the 'The Entity' showing on Horror/Sci Fi channel has been showing on at least three days in the last week.
    (f) Sky appear to be using the genre channels to roll out a lot of old (and persumably cheap to Sky). For example old Hammer films on the Horror channel.

So in my eyes the following is happening

(i) The actual hours being transmitted is about 75% of previous
    (ii) There feels that there is a lot more repetition
    (iii) Greater use of old films to fit in with the genre

I've kept the Movie channels for convenience but I'm seriously considering dropping it and signing up for one of these online DVD deals.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Fuey_fu

Fuey_fu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I cancelled Sky Movies after the switch, the level of films and what I wanted to watch took a huge dive IMO.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Apparently there are the same total number of different movies in a month (approx 450) BUT less repeats of those movies so a lower total number of viewing hours. I welcome the change to genres as it makes finding particular types of movie a lot easier and saves sorting through a lot of dross (IMHO)

4. Toon-man

Toon-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I feel the same as you guys , if I wasn`t on-line I would most likely cancel .

5. andicapped

andicapped
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    sky seem to be upgrading all thir hd channels and leaving out the liitle people with only sky +. i havent watched much sky lately as i've been on nites but the missus informs me that the HD channels seem to be getting better films 1st. sky is crap they charge a frotune and then take away the advantages when they bring out something more expensive and better ie sky HD

6. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I've done just that, the movie channels have deteriated significantly in the last 6 months IMO and the recent change was the last straw. :mad:

I couldn't get on with the new menu system so I cancelled the movie channels. :rolleyes:

Signed up with easycinema, they charge per rental (1.99) and as I only watch 2 or 3 films a month anyway it will cost me about the same except I get to see more recent films. :clap:

I think Sky have shot themselves in the foot TBH. :oops:

7. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I agree I dont like it either . The repeat I do miss is the late night one of the saturday movie . I used to watch it about 12 . it may sound silly to others but I dont feel ready for a big movie at 8 im a later vewier and usually sky + something else as im watching football first.

I dont like the way the channel ends at a certain time .

I dont like the whole setup really mabye its just the change but im not keen . I never found it a chore looking through the channels before.

8. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If you think that then you should check out the maps that chart the bit rate transmissions of all Sky channels day by day.

The Movies HD 1 channel is excellent and up there with the usually very high Sky One HD and the consistently superb BBC HD.

But the Movies HD 2 channel has truly awful rates. Over the past week it has been hovering around ONE THIRD of the transmitted bit rate quality of BBC HD.

So those subscribing to that channel right now are hardly getting priority from Sky.

9. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Blimey, Sky must watch these forums.:)

As I was writing the above it seems (from a new thread on the HD forum) Sky were juggling transponders. From this afternoon it seems that HD 2 is now up there with the best in terms of bit rate/PQ.

Highly welcome as this is for we HD viewers, it updates my previous message and might support the argument of the poster above.

10. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    the idea of genre's is ok, but it means you only have one genre showing at any one time, like before there may have been up to say three comedies showing at the same time on channels 1-10 or something on the cinema channels.. but now the choice seems more limited..

11. Douzeper

Douzeper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the new system, going to cancel sky movies also.

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    if i cancel movies, and kept sky sports 1/3 could i keep the disney/kids chanels and sky plus and make a saving?

13. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I preferred the old system too.:)

It seems to me that we are getting less choice with the new set up.:eek:

And some of the movie channels are starting later.:(

I think all these +1 channels are a waste of time and space too!!:devil:

14. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    You will lose the disney cinema channels as they come with the movies package, the other kids channels are part of a mix so you will still be able to see those.

You would keep the free Sky+ features as Sports 1 & 2 are classed as premium channels so you will be ok there.

Canceling the movie channels saves you £6.50 if you are on the full sky package. (Goes from £43.50 down to £37). :thumbsup:

15. Valcor

Valcor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am cancelling the Movies, agree with all the above negative posts, Sky definately shot themselves in the foot, well put Fusewire! (Cancelling Sports at end of May also, only watch Footie).

16. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I don't like the new movies system either but I'll be cancelling my Sky completely soon so no bother.

My biggest gripe is that it's harder to keep track of now. I used to say to a friend something along the lines of "Batman Begins is on Movies 6 tonight at 9" and they'd know straight away, Movies 6 = 306.

Now you say "Batman Begins is on Movies Modern" and they haven't the foggiest.

Maybe I'm just being picky though, I've recently come to the conclusion that Sky is just all round too expensive. Really looking forward to cancelling after the football season is over.

17. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Having subscribed to Sky Movies for the last 16 years I've written to them complaining about the new setup and haven't received satisfactory answers to my complaints.

My two biggest issues are SM1/2 showing the same films for up to 6 consecutive nights and Sky Classics showing 30+ year old films. I don't pay for a premium service to watch stuff BBC, ITV, C4 and Film4 show for free.

I've asked how much I will have my subscription reduce by by cancelling Movies. My guess is that to keep me on board they will offer me three months at half-rate or maybe better.

I could be wrong but I believe they do try to convince you not to cancel when you ring. My request is a shot across their bows. I'll keep you posted on any reply. As for an alternative film source I'm considering rental DVD by post. Easy to order and return and higher quality pictures via my Arcam DVD player.

Cheers,

18. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    In the past they have been known to do this, however when I called to cancel the movies they didn't offer any incentive to stay, they just tried to convince me how much better the new system is than the old one. :rolleyes:

They even have a new menu option on the phone system when you call "If you're calling regarding the recent changes to Sky movies press 3" :rotfl: :suicide:

They have obviously had a lot of calls about this issue. :)

19. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yep, I never bothered with having the old movie channels on my favourites EPG, now have several of them. I find it a lot easier to find films I'm likely to watch rather than haviong to wade through the endless miss-mash of the old set up. I'm certainly watching a lot more movies per month than I was.

20. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Hi Fusewire,

Whilst the poor sods on the front line have to roll out the company rhetoric those in control will have access to the churn rate as it's called. If people continue to cancel Movies then they will almost certainly review things. With DVDs so popular Sky cannot enjoy the monopoly they once did.

They now have serious competition in postal DVD rental and let's not also forget that supermarkets are selling off old DVDs at known-down prices.

Interesting about the new phone option. No doubt you had to ring a 0870 number which is another source of irritation to me. I'm trying to communicate via email. Cheaper and they have a permanent record of my dealings with them.

Although there are some on this thread who welcome the new organisation they do appear to be in a small minority.

21. mobrule

mobrule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm very disappointed with the new line up as well.:thumbsdow

I've had the Movie package since the days of analogue and up until a few weeks ago, I was a happy movie subscribing bunny.

I've emailed Sky several times regarding this change and I've not received a proper explanation why they thought these changes would improve things.

I would love to cancel the movie package but as I have two Sky+ boxes, I'll end up paying more than what I do already. I'm not interested in sport, so I guess I'm well and truly over the barrel. :(

22. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :lesson: Ummm. no you won't pay more.

I phoned sky yesterday to cancel movies.

I was paying £36 month for 4 mixes and movies (Sky+ box). If I drop the movies I pay £18 for four mixes plus £10 sky+ subscription = toal £28 month (saves £8 month).

If you go over to Tesco DVD rental they have many different options to hire DVDs. I mention Tesco because I have used them in the past and it was a good service just use the post box, couldn't be easier really. There are many other DVD rental firms available.

My wife and I really don't like the new setup - mind we didn't watch a lot of movies on the old setup either.

Anyway, I phoned to cancel and Sky did a deal and knocked £11 off the movies for 3 months. I accepted cos I'm going to get a HD box when the deal finishes:D (probably off the net and do a self install).

So just to recap... Droping a premium channel and still paying for Sky+ does nto cost you more (it used to years ago, I think when we took it out 10months ago we paid extra £2 for the movies compared to the SKy+ sub, now its £8 more - damn that housing inflation is affecting sky:rotfl: )

edit: Damn I really should pay attention when reading - 2 x sky+ boxes - does that mean you don't pay for multiroom with your subscription?

23. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What makes me laugh about the new movie line-up is that Sky said in their recent magazine "You spoke and we listened", and this was the reason they "re-vamped" their movie channels.

That's funny, 'cause I don't remember asking them screw about with something I thought worked fine, and give me less to choose from during the day. :suicide:

I'll be cancelling my Movies too, and probably taking Sports instead.

Rogue

24. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Yes I did have to ring the dreaded 0870 number, the new option made the call a lot shorter and easier though. :thumbsup:

Regarding reversing the change if the churn rate gets too high, to be honest it wouldn't matter to me now, I have set up my postal DVD account and I am very happy with it, I wouldn't go back now. :clap:

It is only apathy as to why I have subscribed to movies this long, the movie channels have been going down hill for a long time now (IMO), the menu change was the last straw for me (and many others) and it has made me stop being lazy and cancel them, I now have a much better service from my DVD provider, I get to see newer films and most are in 5.1 (without the sound dropouts). :)

So all in all a big thanks to Sky, they have improved my viewing and it costs a bit less than it used to. :smashin:

25. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    i've talked to sky over the weekend and once the footie season is over i'm dropping the sports and movies and going with the kids, variety and music mixes along with style and culture. My sky subcription will drop from 58 euro a month to 42 and will still include my sky plus sub. One question, we have a few movies in the planner that are favourites that we watch from time to time and i wonder if i drop the movie subs will i loose those from the planner?

the only channel we will loose is disney cinemagic but there's only the odd thing we would watch on it anyway.

Cheers,
    Mick

26. simon147

simon147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I cancelled the movies last night. The girl who I spoke to did ask if it was because of the new set up. She was really pushing for me to keep them but never offered any discounts (which i wasn't looking for). She even named some of the movies coming soon (Hostel was one :suicide: ). Anyway, told her that i hadn't watched a movie on sky for a few months and that I had a unlimited cineworld card so I have watched most of the movies months before they come on sky.

One question, I have sky+ with sports and everything else(other than movies obviously) and was wondering if I chose to reduce the 6 mixes to 4, would I have to pay the sky+ subscription of £10 or not.

Finally, I used the site saynoto0870 and rang sky on a 0800 number:clap:

27. mobrule

mobrule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

Nope. I currently pay £47 a month for 6 mixes + movies + multiroom. Dropping the movie package means I will have to pay two Sky+ subs + multiroom. An extra £20 a month. :thumbsdow

28. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is a damn disgrace the new setup and Sky can pretty much :eek: off tbh, they have slowly been increasing prices this last couple of years whilst cutting back services and increasing the amount of :eek: late night dial in quiz shows on virtually every channel.

If you look at the old setup, the amount of channels was thus:-

Sky Movies 1 - 10
    Sky HD Movies 1 & 2 (which just mirrored what was being shown on normal Sky Movies 9 & 10)
    Sky Cinema 1 & 2
    Film Four, TCM, Horror channel etc.

Now all of the main Sky Movies 1-10 and Sky Cinema 1&2 where on pretty much 24/7 and were generally very varied, mostly clag during the early day but still some decent stuff on and Sky Movies 9 & 10 showed encrypted films (cause they where 15+ movies that usually get shown after the watershed) that you just put your pin number in for and didn't get charged an extra.

Now however they have given us the royal :eek: screw job, this is their new movie channel layout:-

Sky Premiere
    Sky Premiere +1
    Sky Movies Comedy
    Sky Movies Action & Thriller
    Sky Movies Family
    Sky Movies Drama
    Sky Movies Sci-Fi & Horror
    Sky Movies Classics
    Sky Movies Modern
    Sky Movies Indie
    Sky Movies HD1 & HD2
    Film Four, TCM, Horror channel etc.

Not to bad you may think, still lots of choice, excpet for the fact they have reduced the amount of channels from 14 to 11, they also only start Sky Premiere at 4pm in the afternoon until 3am (Sky Premiere +1 is showing exactly the same stuff as Sky Premiere, but just 1 hour later) not only that but instead of rotating films like the used to Sky Premiere shows exactly the same 5 films every day for a week, WHAT THE :eek: !
    Half of the other channels are just now full of utter crap you wouldn't watch and because of the reduced amount of choice at the same time period you are screwed, if I wanted to watch a movie at say 9pm, and wanted some action or horror, if there wasn't any on one channel, I would always find something on another in a similar vein, now that kind of option is lost, if you don't like what is being shown on whatever genre channel you want to watch, you have no other choice at all! Not only that but at least two of the other channels start at 12pm instead of being on all day.....

So screw you Murdoch you utter :oops:

Not that I am that bothered like. :D

29. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

30. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have Sky+ with the movies package (no sport) and 1 multiroom box, I want to cut this down by quite a lot.

I was just on Sky's crappy website, seeing what I could reduce down to and realise that I can happily get along with their £18 a month package, HOWEVER, if I want SKY+ a service which I have been paying for, for 2 years and paid £100 for the box, they want to charge me an extra £10 a month taking the total up to £28, you utter robbing gits, I can understand them charging for multiroom, but for SKY+ GTFO.

However, if I add SKY HD I can get SKY+ for free for the same £28, but they want £299 for a box and £60 installation.......:mad: :mad:

Anyway I can get around all this crap, short of telling them where to stick it.

:lease: