New movies inc. Seven (2 disc Platinum Edition)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by StuartBooth, Dec 23, 2000.

1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa, this Seven (Platinum Edition) disc turned up yesterday from A&BSound. $38.74 Canadian dollars inc shipping which is about £17.30 or so.

Anyway, this looks like a *spectacular* release as I've just given it a spin. Well, *both* discs in fact. It's by the same director boy as did Fight Club, David Fincher, and the packaging is almost identical in style (fold-out, disc holders, etc), but no inner booklet. I just played the
    first scene from the film and the sound is immediately impressive. I *really* want to crank this puppy up. Sounds like lots of rear effects action even at the beginning with nothing much going on (it's raining). It's even
    DTS ES Discrete and DD EX enabled. The intro credits sequence sounds well bassy and I can only imagine what that'll kick like with a pukka sub (which I don't have). Oh for a place of mine own...

Also played disc 2 with all the extras, and my word there's a stack and a half. There's 4 commentaries like Fight Club on the 1st disc, plus extended/deleted scenes, alternative endings, commentaries by the photographers, scene makers, etc etc etc. STACKS o'stuff.

Very impressive indeed. This is one of those releases that makes you go "Who-ooaah!" (as in "Everybody say Who-ooaah!").

New in today, also from A&BSound, are The Cell and Blade, both New Line Platinum Editions.

Got to be happy with that. These 3 discs were posted on the 18th-Dec, 18th-Dec and 19th-Dec respectively, and all arrived by the 23rd. Pretty stunning delivery times given it's Xmas.

Maybe the Xmas rush has subsided as I even got "Life Of Birds" from Play247 today too, and that shipped on the 21st according to the web site. 3 days from Play? That's faster than normal!

Stuart

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,568
    Ahem, we had a preview of the DVD online a few days ago. You should check out our previews as they tell you exactly this kind of info.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10/10,this has to be one of the best discs i,ve ever seen the picture transfer is stunning and the dts soundtrack will send you to another planet,you are surrounded with a wall of sound from start to finish,it has you on the edge of your seat through out the effects placements is a pure joy to listen to,and thats only with normal dts it also hs dts-es encoded on the disc if you have the wright gear,havent even accessed one of the four commetaries yet and thats only disc one,its made my christmas,have a nice one.

4. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] Aye, true, but I just wanted to wibble about my newest arrival! My reactions to it.

I had no idea this stuff was in it because I have to confess I rarely read reviews/previews until *after* I've looked at the disc! (LOL) I don't like spoilers, prefering to be surprised, which I certainly was with this package.

Oh, meant to add; it also sounds utterly fantastic, having watched it last night. It's probably one of the best sounding discs I've so far heard. The music surrounds you. THIS is what Special Edition DVDs are all about. None of the overused S.E. tags here, this earns that flag. The deleted scenes even have commentary options on them. Marvellous.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

[This message has been edited by StuartBooth (edited 24-12-2000).]