New Monitor - Whats more immersive?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Hi All

Currently I have a Samsung 22" Monitor running at 1680 x 1050. I am looking to upgrade this to a more immersive experience. Current PC spec is in my signature.

Here are my option but I am not sure what will provide the best gaming experience.

1) I am thinking of maybe getting another 2 monitors and running an eyefinity setup. (I can scour the classifieds and find another 2 pretty easily) But doing that I think I might need second GPU and run XFire.

2) I could also sell my current Monitor and get a 27" 1920 x 1080 screen. But I am not sure if one big monitor is better than 3 smaller ones.

3) Sell my current monitor and get a 3D display of about 23". Again I'm not sure if one big monitor is going to be better than one smaller 3D monitor.

I will have about £250.

This is the 27" I am looking at

AOC E2795VH 27" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black [E2795VH]

And if I went 3D I would possibly look at one of these

23" 3D Passive LED TV Compatiable with 3D SBS and Interlace from LG DM2350D-PZ - Scan.co.uk

I am just after people experiences with all of the above. Any suggestions and experiences are as always, very welcome.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I am downsizing from a 27" to a 24" 120Hz panel as I want to give 3D a try. If I could afford to keep both I would as this 27" is a great all rounder. It all depends on what you value you more.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I looked at some 24" 3D panels, but most of them seemed to need a nVidia 3D Vision kit which won't work with my card since I have an ATI card.

I guess for all my 3D "must have" games I can always just take my PC into the lounge and use it on my TV. Thing is, I don't know of any places close by to me that have any 27" screens that I can see how big they are in real life. The local PC World where I work has a couple of 22" and 24" monitors but the 24" doesn't look like its as big a step up from the 22".

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Head to the iMac section and that will give you an idea. Mine for sell in the classifieds pal. Worth taking a look as its feature loaded!

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Keep your monitor for casual use and get a Projector for proper gaming sessions. You seriously dont get more immersive than 86inches of screen (which handily rolls away when you dont need to use it so doesnt take up much room) that doesnt have little joining bars like a multi-monitor setup does where each screen meets...lol

Of course, you dont have to use 86in of screen, you can use a smaller or larger one...or just a wall and amend the size as required each time you fire it up.

Granted a PJ costs a little more than most monitors, but you can get 1080p models pretty cheap nowadays and most places that sell them will do them on a payment option.

:)

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
This is the monitor I and a few other members on here have got, the BenQ XL2410T:

BenQ XL2410T 120Hz Premium Gaming Monitor Review - CCL Computers

Highly recommended! It's 1080p, 120Hz, and 3D. :thumbsup:

I think 24" is a very nice size for a monitor, the 120Hz was the important part for me. Makes a big difference for me.

I did see that monitor, but with regards to the 3D do you have to use the nVidia 3D Vision kit? I have an ATI card so could I use that with some 3rd party glasses?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Does the BenQ have a 3D emitter built in?

TheNameIsJambo

I kinda like my IIyama 22". 1920x1080 native @ 60Hz.

The 3D technology is great and all, but it really messes with your brain, it makes it work overtime to process the images.

Human eyes aren't used to being blasted with images like that.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I would usually say bigger is always better for gaming, but for me personally, I wouldn't go bigger than 24". The only reason for this is because with desktop gaming (unlike console gaming from afar), you are generally sat at a desk and fairly near the monitor and anything bigger than 24" can make your head spin because it is in your face so to speak. 27" is probably the absolute limit for desktop gaming imho.

I'll add that Hillskills is an excellent monitor for sale and if i were upgrading, i'd go for that.

Eirens recommendation is also and excellent monitor.

Quite franky, i think 3D is a bit of an overrated fad and after seeing a 3D monitor in action i wouldn't buy one nor would I buy a 3D TV, but again that's personal preference :)

Last edited:

TheNameIsJambo

Quite franky, i think 3D is a bit of an overrated fad and after seeing a 3D monitor in action i wouldn't buy one nor would I buy a 3D TV, but again that's personal preference :)

Ditto.

Ditto to the 24" monitor chat too. My mate has a 24" monitor, and I feel that it's just a bit too in your face. Especially at the distance I sit from my desk.

I think 23"-24" would be a sweet spot, IMHO. Anything bigger and you're going to have to turn your head around to see things.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I find 27" great for gaming. You certainly don't have to move your head to look around! As I say if I had the cash I would keep the 27" and get the 24" I want but one has to pay for the other.

=adrian=

I would usually say bigger is always better for gaming, but for me personally, I wouldn't go bigger than 24". The only reason for this is because with desktop gaming (unlike console gaming from afar), you are generally sat at a desk and fairly near the monitor and anything bigger than 24" can make your head spin because it is in your face so to speak. 27" is probably the absolute limit for desktop gaming imho.

I'll add that Hillskills is an excellent monitor for sale and if i were upgrading, i'd go for that.

Eirens recommendation is also and excellent monitor.

Ditto.

Ditto to the 24" monitor chat too. My mate has a 24" monitor, and I feel that it's just a bit too in your face. Especially at the distance I sit from my desk.

I think 23"-24" would be a sweet spot, IMHO. Anything bigger and you're going to have to turn your head around to see things.

Allow me to disagree with you two.

I game on 30" Dell monitor and believe me when I say I would not swap it for anything smaller, doesn't matter 120hz or 3D.

And this is a myth that you have to move your head left/right when gaming. I sit 1-2 feet away from the monitor and can see all the corners without moving my head.

I won't even mention the amazing 2560x1600 resolution :)

eiren

Distinguished Member
Does the BenQ have a 3D emitter built in?

There's an updated version of the monitor I posted a link too due out soon that has the 3B built into it (I understand) and I think even comes with a pair of 3D glasses, and will work with the AMD version.

In regards to size, I've got the 120Hz 24" monitor, a 60" plasma, and a 107" projector screen to choose from. It all depends on the game.

I play FPS on the 120Hz monitor, because it makes a big difference to timing.

I'd play epic stuff like Skyrim on the plasma or the projector screen... as that's where it really shines.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Keep your monitor for casual use and get a Projector for proper gaming sessions. You seriously dont get more immersive than 86inches of screen (which handily rolls away when you dont need to use it so doesnt take up much room) that doesnt have little joining bars like a multi-monitor setup does where each screen meets...lol

Of course, you dont have to use 86in of screen, you can use a smaller or larger one...or just a wall and amend the size as required each time you fire it up.

Granted a PJ costs a little more than most monitors, but you can get 1080p models pretty cheap nowadays and most places that sell them will do them on a payment option.

:)
I'll second that, after gaming @ 100" I find it hard playing games on my 26" monitor, when I don't have the projector set up.

It also makes it much more enjoyable for anyone watching you game/watching them game.

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Allow me to disagree with you two.

I game on 30" Dell monitor and believe me when I say I would not swap it for anything smaller, doesn't matter 120hz or 3D.

And this is a myth that you have to move your head left/right when gaming. I sit 1-2 feet away from the monitor and can see all the corners without moving my head.

I won't even mention the amazing 2560x1600 resolution :)

I'm with Adrian on this one. The actual usable screen area on a 30" monitor just blows your mind!! 1080p? Pah, that's sooooo last year. ;)

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
So I'm guessing that by the consensus of this thread that one big screen is better multiple smaller screens, ie: Eyefinity?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom