New Monitor Recommendations, 1440P 144Hz

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Adcook, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Im looking at upgrading my ageing 24" 1080P 60Hz monitor. I think I have settled on 1440P 144Hz (I neither have the graphical horsepower or financial horsepower for 4k and 144Hz). I initially had a £400 budget but I might be able to add another £100 to that. I think I would quite like 27/28" but Im not too fussed as I sit quite close to my monitor but is Gsync worth the extra? What would you buy?

My current pick is https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJTVBU4/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B01H07FVBS

Should I wait for Jan sales? My head says yes but my heart says "you idiot, you have over a week off work to game starting Friday, buy it now so you can use it over the holidays".

2. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,146
    I think that is TN panel above ,
    i have the IPS version and it's bloody good monitor ,
    is g-sync worth it?
    yes i find it very hard to go back to normal monitor or even a tv , after playing on a g-sync monitor ,
    it's one of those things , "if you haven't seen it you don't know what your missing , but once you have seen it , it's hard to go back"

3. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Humans can't see above 110hz. Anything above that won't look any different. It's a waste of money buying these hi speed monitors as they are way beyond human physical capabilities. The manufacturers know this. But they rely on humans infinite capacity to be conned. Humans have that in abundance

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,066
    May well be right but not all about seeing, but about feeling.

You can feel the high framerates more than seeing it while playing. Is why these fps comparison videos on youtube are a bit pointless. Watching a video of a game might not see a whole lot of difference between say 30 and 60 or above but playing it you certainly feel a whole load of difference. Also why movies etc look butter smooth and is only 24fps.
    Seen a comparison for sleeping dogs i think was ages ago. 15/30/60fps. Even in the clip at 15fps it didn't look all that bad to be fair but if you were playing it would feel horrible.

5. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I think its also about the more potential frames available from your monitor the less tearing you see when you graphics card is not matching the refresh rate. Adaptive sync would negate this problem I suppose. And I hate tearing almost as much as low framerates.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,336
    Have you done any gaming on a 120hz+ monitor?

7. IRobot

IRobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +923
    I use an Asus PG279Q with a secondary 1080P 60Hz monitor above it:-

Monitors.jpg

The difference in motion smoothness is pretty obvious even if you just move a window around on each screen let alone play a game. Move my front door cam window in circles and it gets jittery on the 60Hz monitor but on the 144Hz monitor you can still focus on the details because motion is so smooth.

8. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I think I have narrowed my choice down to two

Option 1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-screen-Monitor/dp/B017DG09WM
    (ACER Predator XB271HU)

Option 2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2716DG-27-inch-Monitor-Response/dp/B01784K78A
    (Dell S2716DG)

From what I have read, the ACER can potentially be the better monitor but is more likely to suffer from manufacturing defects. Also I find the gaming specific look of the ACER not my cup of tea but I think I could desk mount it to remove the stand which is the worst part. The Dell has an antiglare coating which blurs things a bit.

9. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +572
    And then there's this craziness I came across today:
    B2D8D665-F420-4CF3-B8A8-40CE56095454.jpeg
    It's a Samsung CHG90, been out for a few months, only 3840x1080 though (basically a 4K panel sliced in half). Comes with Freesync apparently. The curvature is ridiculous, but probably necessary.

10. IRobot

IRobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +923
    I'd go with the Acer as it would probably have better image quality due to its IPS panel.

If you want a large panel it's better to buy a 4K TV for a fraction of the price. Gaming is much more immersive on a full height screen compared to one that's chopped in half.

11. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I think Im leaning towards the Dell to be honest. As far as TNs go this appears to be as good as it gets and not that far behind in terms of colours and sharpness compared with an IPS. But you dont have to go through (what I have since learnt is a thing) the IPS lottery when buying a screen. Im not sure I fancy sending it back two or three times until I get one with acceptable backlight bleed and no dead pixels.

12. Soni1919

Soni1919

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the Dell and it's very good. Factory settings are terrible but once you tweak it, in particular lowering the gamma in Windows the picture looks great.

13. MooCow

MooCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Been very happy with my PG278QR - same ball park as you are looking at plus does 165hz in addition to 144

14. plasmame

plasmame

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've been looking around at the same monitors as you but don't think I could drop that sort of money on a TN panel after using a ips for so long. Take a look at the aog and ViewSonic offerings if you order from amazon they will replace it a few times if you get a dud.

15. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Hmm, the AOC AG271QG is very tempting, plus I could have one by tomorrow (although that would be from Currys).

16. Soni1919

Soni1919

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you are going for the IPS versions make sure it can easily be returned. I went through several (ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and Acer Predator XB271HU) with unacceptable backlight bleed issues for me. I eventually settled on the Dell TN, it's not as vibrant but with some tweaking it can look really good. You may get a a better IPS panel than I did or not be as fussy as me!

17. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I have an IPS panel at work (though only 60Hz) and I do like the colours on it, especially when its next to my tn laptop panel with extended desktop. I think i have settled on the AOC AG271QC from currys, I will probably order it when I get home from work in an hour or so. As long as I order it in the next 5 hours I can have it tomorrow and enjoy it for the rest of the week off work.

18. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    i can tell the difference. so can plenty of youtubers in their random blind test videos.

it's more about motion control. you can't tell looking at still image. it's when you move around left and right in a fast motion you can see it's much smoother.

i've got the 144hz 27" dell and i calibrated it using a colormunki. i wouldn't go back now that I have it.

19. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    this is the consensus. the dell has the best build quality with the least issues. however it need proper calibration.

the others have IPS panels but build quality is so bad that most end up returning them due to bleed/banding, etc.

20. plasmame

plasmame

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hasn't the dell got bad colour banding, there's a big thread on overclock.net about it.

21. Adcook

Adcook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Well my AOC AGON came this morning, I was very concerned as the box looked like it had been opened. The original tape holding the box shut had been cut and there was a new piece of tape over it so I was worried someone else had returned due to a bad panel but was relatively reassured when the new tape had an AOC logo on it and all the bags inside the box were still sealed. And having turned it on an calibrated it then inspected it on flat coloured images there doesnt seem to be any dead pixels. The backlight seems a bit dimmer in the bottom corners but only really noticable on a completely white screen and in low light so I think I can live with it, I will see how I go over the next few days of gaming.
    20171228_120137.jpg

22. Psycho Sonny

Psycho Sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    not had any issues with mine. what revision are the models with issues i believe there was slight issues with early models. it's now had 4 revisions at least iirc mine is iirc the 3rd revision