New Monitor for use with 2018 Mac mini

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since last asked my circumstances have changed dramatically
I now no longer have a pc, using instead a 2018 Mac mini
I now also use my monitor for my Xbox series x for gaming and watching movies

My current monitor is 28” but feel, for most things, that’s too small, and 32” be better

I also work from home a fair amount currently so extra space be helpful

Also “silly” things I would like would be that the controls are on the front of the monitor for ease of access and that it had at least 2 hdmi inputs and 1 digital input for the Mac. It would also be handy, but far from essential if could act as a usb hub

No need for internal speakers, but I would like phono speaker out so the sound would go to my existing speakers

Budget wise ? I have no idea. Let’s say 500 but that can be adapted. Obviously cheaper be good but aware 4k monitors can be expensive.

I am currently looking at the EX3203R which seems well regarded

Cheers

Last edited:
HDMI is a digital input, are you talking about a different form of digital input such as DVI or DisplayPort?

HDMI is a digital input, are you talking about a different form of digital input such as DVI or DisplayPort?

Sorry, yes. Display port. Or anything that will connect for the Mac other than hdmi. Or if not 3 hdmi ports. If that makes sense

I’ve got one of these Philips B346B1 ultra wide monitors. 34 inches, good for productivity, easy on the eye (no eye strain, I use it for working at home all day) and has a USB hub built in. It also powers my MacBook Pro 16 via USB-c. As an all round package I’d recommend it, within your budget and I can see that since I ordered it a year or so ago they've introduced a couple of other variants ie one with a built in webcam. The one I have isn’t 4K though if that’s important to you, it’s QHD 3440 x1440 resolution which is good enough for me.

I’ve got one of these Philips B346B1 ultra wide monitors. 34 inches, good for productivity, easy on the eye (no eye strain, I use it for working at home all day) and has a USB hub built in. It also powers my MacBook Pro 16 via USB-c. As an all round package I’d recommend it, within your budget and I can see that since I ordered it a year or so ago they've introduced a couple of other variants ie one with a built in webcam. The one I have isn’t 4K though if that’s important to you, it’s QHD 3440 x1440 resolution which is good enough for me.

seems ideal for the Mac use but how would it fair for gaming via Xbox ? Guess would need 4K version ?
Looks good value though

the usb hub definitely would be very handy. And the webcam be useful

Last edited:
seems ideal for the Mac use but how would it fair for gaming via Xbox ? Guess would need 4K version ?
Looks good value though

the usb hub definitely would be very handy. And the webcam be useful

Cant help you there I’m afraid, don’t have it hooked up to an XBox. Although, to be honest, I’m not convinced 4K resolution is that critical for a screen of this size. I reckon it would be just fine. I know that it does support 100Hz and ActiveSync which is apparently good for gaming, and the reviews I read at the time said it was fine for this. It has in built speakers too by the way, I don’t use them as I have Bose speakers connected to my Mac, but I tried them when I first bought the monitor and they’re not bad at all. As I said, it’s a very decent all rounder for the price.

I’m looking at a dell having had it recommended elsewhere and watched a few YouTube videos

Dell S3220DGF​

How is the text display when connecting the Mac to the dell at 1440p ?

for years I used a dell 2405fpw
Wonderful monitor with 1,920-by-1,200 resolution and use, back then with windows, was a joy with real crisp text

when it failed I got a fairly expensive 1080p monitor. A 27 inch Samsung. It lasted about half an hour before being sent back as I couldn’t cope with how the text looked

I went with, and still use, an LG 27ul600 which is 4k

it looks good, but never been blown away by picture
Also, the controls on back and the joystick really annoy and more than anything, it’s too small. More so now that I find myself gaming on it more and watching movies on it more

so how do you think I would fair with the dell at 1440p

it seems to meet all my technical needs. The hub, the size and seems well regarded by gamers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom