'New' Monitor Audio Radius 270

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by quatter, Feb 25, 2014.

1. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Anyone have any experience of the new MA Radius 270 floorstanders? I know they have 2 previous incarnations which seemed pretty popular, just wondering if the newbies are an improvement - I can source a pair for £280 which is nearly £500 off the retail price.

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    The Radius range has always been one of my favourite speakers for AV systems, amongst the mist of "lifestyle" speakers out there.

The newer ones are definitely an improvement. For starters, the new Radius range seem to have longer throw bass drivers, allowing them to take a bit more punishment and sound a little fuller. The older ones at a cheap price will be a steal, but the later ones use better driver technology - it's a case of how good you want them to be - with an SCLX82, the newer ones will definitely be a better long term bet.

3. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for the response - I've just bought a pair or Radius 270s, the new version, for £280!! Delivered tomorrow.

4. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Sounds like a cracking purchase. I still own a pair of the original ones, which the HDs didn't improve over enough to warrant an upgrade, but even so are still very good for their size. I was always impressed with their full range performance for such a compact style speaker, and if the latest incarnation improves as much as David says, you probably got a bargain. Do let us know what you think.

5. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I will, downsizing (slightly) from the RS5 which I feel are more suited to music rather than home cinema which has been their primary use. Having just bought a sub, this completes my home cinema system (for the time being!) and I can't wait to hook up the new speakers tomorrow.

6. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    Somehow, I don't think you have purchased the new versions for £280! Are they the "HD" version?

7. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  8. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    They look like the original versions to me, neither the HD or the third generation. Still a nice purchase non the less and I'm sure you will be happy with them.

9. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you read the product description they have the new 4 inch C-Cam drivers rather than the original and HD version MMP11 drivers.

10. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd have some if they had black or walnut.

11. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Speakers arrived an hour or so ago and just got them set up! They are the new version with the C-Cam drivers too. Like most MA stuff, they just ooze quality!

Will post more later tonight when I've had a chance to set them up properly with the MCACC.

12. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Got them hooked up to my Pioneer receiver and have run a full MCACC - they sound good already but will need some running in as they sound a little 'harsh' straight out of the box. They have a wonderful white gloss finish and feel really well made.
    Their main use will be as fronts in my home cinema system but will also get some use as a stereo main speaker for music - I can't wait to get them run in and to see how they really perform.

13. zack

zack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Quatter
    Any updates on how the MA radius 270s perform? I recently had the opportunity to audition MA BX5 and MA radius 270 hd. I was keen on 270s.
    BX5 were better for bass but not as clear for vocals and higher frequencies as radius 270. Also found BX5 sounded slightly mismatched when listening to some songs- I would mainly use these to listen to songs and music and only infrequently for movies.
    Radius 270 sleeker, better looking, better for voice and high frequencies but thought something was missing from the sound, not as allrounded.
    of course these are my opinions dependent on my ears, however was disappointed as the radius 270s had glowing reviews and I had my mind set on buying these.

14. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Zack - speakers aren't any where near run in yet - any comparisons are made to my previous speakers which were MA RS5s. First, with music in Pure Direct mode on my Pioneer receiver, they have better bass, better timing and better imaging. Looks wise, I probably would have gone with a different colour had one been available but the gloss white finish is growing on me! I have to say that they are really well finished.

The new 270s use the C-Cam drivers rather than the MMP11 drivers used in both the HD and older 270 versions - these are used in the Platinum range.

15. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Do you know what the actual performance differences between the two bass drivers is?

16. quatter

quatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Probably not huge....haven't been able to compare the versions sonically but would rather have the newest version, especially at the discounted price - had they been full price I probably would have settled for the 270HD which seem to be going for around £400-500.

17. zack

zack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you got a bargain at the price. I am torn between getting the right speaker size- with waf and the right sound, in the sub 600 price range. Have auditioned a few. Was set on radius 270, had great reviews but....
    Now wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare or audition Tannoy Revolution DC4-T v/s monitor audio 270. Mainly for music as a stereo set up preferably without a sub.

Also any idea how much actual difference the new C-Cam drivers (rather than the MMP11 drivers in older 270hd) make to the sound? 270 hds available for 300-400 while new ones about 699.

thanks,

zack

18. darkprince

darkprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can add to this. I have just updated to the new radius 270s from the older model the radius 270HD. I already had the newer radius 200 centre with the older 270HD, I always found the sound to be very bright, I had to turn audyssey off as the top end was just ear piercing.

I found a 90hz cross over to be the best match for the 270HD to my subwoofer svs sb12 nsd any lower and there seemed to be a gap in the sound were the sub and 270HD meet.

Now the new 270s have a noticeably fuller sound, they are more capable in the bass and have a nice top end. The sound is no longer overly bright , and I can keep audyssey on and have a more dynamic sound.

I can now use a 70hz cross over and not notice a gap in the sound like i did with the older model.

For me with the current sale price on the new 270s at £559, they are now worth it over the 270HD. I was able to sell the older HD model for £330.

19. N1ck

N1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A quick question for those with r270s. Are they any less stable than normal floor standers? I’m tempted by some going very cheap on eBay but am concerned they may not be suitable with young children around.