New Monitor Audio GX series.

Canti1982

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across these, some pictures of the new Monitor Audio GX series.

Look quite nice though they are pretty large, they are much more like the Platinum series with what looks like the same ribbon tweeter. I'm guessing that the pricing will be more in line with the Planinums too.

I'm not sold on the look of the metal feet, its a bit industrial compared to the sleek design of the speaker. Bit of a taste thing really, though they are certainly not subtle ;)

P1920226r2-.jpg

P1920229r2-.jpg

P1920236r2-.jpg

P1920241r2-.jpg

the drive units ( except the ribbon) are different to the paltinum range.

the brushed steel bullet feet on the plats are better looking IMHO.

Nice. Time to star looking around for cut price GS kit then?

Is there any more information on these anywhere?
I'm looking for a centre channel to go with the Monitor Audio Pl100s I have (being used as fronts) but don't really want to pay £1750 for the PLC150 centre new at merely 5 times an ex demo price of the GSLCR I've seen! If these however, incorporate features from the Platinum series like the ribbon tweeter and are a better aesthetic match too I thought maybe they'd work!

I should not think we will hear much more until the official announcement at CES.

It will be interesting to see what price point they go in at, I suspect somewhere between the current GS and PL.

Very nice looking speakers, I may have to consider upgrading my RX lol

New pics online:

monitoraudiogxb.jpg

Monitor Audio GX range and prices:

Gold GX50 standmount £950

Gold GX100 standmount £1250

Gold GX200 floorstander £2,300

Gold GX30 floorstander £3,000

Gold GXC 150 centre channel £650

Gold GXC 350 centre channel £1,000

Gold GX-FX surround £1,400

GXW-15 subwoofer £1,750

These should be available sometime in April.

Thats quite a price hike, 40%!

They do look very good, very similar to the platinums in ways. I hope they aren't too good, I paid a lot of money for the platinums and I'd be disappointed if the golds are almost as good!

I also see that the rear fx speaker also has a ribbon tweeter. I was hoping to pick up a bargain gsfx pair when the big sell off happened, however that ribbon tweeter makes me wonder whether I should carry on saving and buy the new one

chalk me up for the small stand-mounters!!

and ill take a cyrus 6xpd to go with.

now, the matter of saving for em!

Monitor Audio GX range and prices:

Gold GX50 standmount £950

Gold GX100 standmount £1250

Gold GX200 floorstander £2,300

Gold GX30 floorstander £3,000

Gold GXC 150 centre channel £650

Gold GXC 350 centre channel £1,000

Gold GX-FX surround £1,400

GXW-15 subwoofer £1,750

These should be available sometime in April.

are these price per speaker or for a pair?

are these price per speaker or for a pair?

A pair for all except the centres and subs which will be for a single speaker.:)

Might these pictures be from setting up at the Bristol Show? Just guessing from the carpet. For anyone attending they'll be over in rooms 206 & 208. Those of us from the AVO team who are attending are really looking forward to giving these a listen.

Here is a question for you guys, and dont shoot me right away. What so people think about using the big centre with a pair of XTZ 99.36 fronts, in the absence of a dedicated center channel?

They have one driver in common and the crossover has more of an effect on the sound than the driver alone. I've had recent experience of the same tweeter in three ranges from the same manufacturer and each time the results were very different.

Even in the same range, the results were different depending upon whether it was a two or three way design. You won't find the match you're hoping for.

Russell

I was hoping someone would say that. Ive consistently found the mid range to be a huge factor when it comes to tonal matching, and I suspect the differences here would, as you say, be considerable.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom